Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HQ2 location?
Atlanta, GA 109 18.47%
Austin, TX 44 7.46%
Boston, MA 52 8.81%
Chicago, IL 85 14.41%
Columbus, OH 27 4.58%
Dallas, TX 71 12.03%
Denver, CO 29 4.92%
Indianapolis, IN 33 5.59%
Los Angeles, CA 12 2.03%
Miami, FL 16 2.71%
Montgomery County, MD 27 4.58%
Nashville, TN 26 4.41%
Newark, NJ 22 3.73%
New York, NY 23 3.90%
Northern Virginia 65 11.02%
Philadelphia, PA 51 8.64%
Pittsburgh, PA 47 7.97%
Raleigh, N.C. 43 7.29%
Toronto, ON 31 5.25%
Washington, D.C. 72 12.20%
Other (Specify) 13 2.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 09:21 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I'm guessing Austin is too small, and isn't terribly connected either. Hard to get to from Asia.
British Airways just added a few nonstops to London from Austin daily. Austin's airport is growing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 10:55 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
British Airways just added a few nonstops to London from Austin daily. Austin's airport is growing.
A secondary municipal airport (Love Field) in Dallas flew more passengers in 2016 than Austin's main airport. Ditto for the William P. Hobby airport in Houston.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:10 AM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
When Austin's overseas routes at least hit double figures, including several with multiple flights per day (BA to London appears to be once per day?) then that will start to be a strength. Currently it's a weakness.

I consider Seattle's position marginal. The Sea-Tac website is screwing up, but Wikipedia has current/seasonal/starting overseas routes including London, Manchester, Frankfurt, Reykjavik, Paris, Dublin, Munich, Amsterdam, Cologne, Tokyo, Seoul, Shanghai, Beijing, Hong Kong, Shenzen, Xiamen, Teipei, Dubai. I'd guess between 15-20 overseas departures per day depending on time of year. Hopefully that will grow in a couple years when our jammed international arrivals facility is replaced with one currently under construction. The top cities have multiples of our international routes.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:11 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times
Yall are putting too much stock in airports. Execs want direct flights, but I doubt they're gonna be living at the Delta clubhouse.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:12 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,910,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I see what you're getting at, but many of those companies you listed are headquartered where they are, because that's near to where they started back in the day in the 50's, 60's or 70's. Second many of the those places listed are near or are a part of a larger metroplex:

New Brunswick, Armonk, Kenilworth, Purchase - NYC
Woonsocket - Boston
Dublin - Columbus
Mooresville - Charlotte

Think of this Amazon HQ2 "dog and pony show" more to when Boeing decided to move its HQ from Seattle back in 2001 (although this is a little different in that Amazon is keeping HQ1 in Seattle). They chose Chicago over Dallas and Denver, Boeing wasn't going to be move to Eastbumblewherever, Nebraska!

It's not like Amazon is some little startup deciding where to plant their roots to start a fledgling company, they are a huge 800-pound gorilla, the evil empire, that is well established and can basically pick and choose what they want. I'm not saying they won't pick Indianapolis, even though I feel it's highly unlikely, but you never know, I can also win the Powerball and MegaMillions in the same week!
I get what you're saying but I'm certain you didn't have them in the top 20 either. Amazon is seeing something you are obviously missing.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:51 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Yall are putting too much stock in airports. Execs want direct flights, but I doubt they're gonna be living at the Delta clubhouse.
Also the Amazon execs have private planes which means as long as the city has an airport, even if cruddy, it's okay.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
The top execs aren't the point. It's important to understand how Amazon operates. Two priorities seem relevant:

1. Connectivity for the constant flow of collaborators from around the world, whether they're to/from other Amazon locations or from other companies, interns, whatever.

2. Connectivity for potential hires from around the US and around the world.

Amazon-related hotel usage in Seattle is reportedly well into the four figures per night, including business visitors, employees moving to town, potential employees here for interviews, and so on. That's just the inbound side. I believe it omits the families of Amazon employees in town to visit...anecdotally this seems to be a significant dynamic.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:14 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
The top execs aren't the point. It's important to understand how Amazon operates. Two priorities seem relevant:

1. Connectivity for the constant flow of collaborators from around the world, whether they're to/from other Amazon locations or from other companies, interns, whatever.

2. Connectivity for potential hires from around the US and around the world.

Amazon-related hotel usage in Seattle is reportedly well into the four figures per night, including business visitors, employees moving to town, potential employees here for interviews, and so on. That's just the inbound side. I believe it omits the families of Amazon employees in town to visit...anecdotally this seems to be a significant dynamic.
You still don't need a major hub gold star airport. If someone from Ethiopia or Austria or Vermont needed to get to Austin, Nashville, or Indy, having to do 1 connection at DFW, ATL, or LAX shouldn't be an eliminator.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:20 PM

That's not how company location decisions work. The ease of travel is typically a big deal, and I bet it's especially important to Amazon.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:24 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
I am hoping for Boston ... Boston saw high growth the first seven years of the decade so it can possibly handle more.

If not DC or Miami would be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.