Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HQ2 location?
Atlanta, GA 109 18.47%
Austin, TX 44 7.46%
Boston, MA 52 8.81%
Chicago, IL 85 14.41%
Columbus, OH 27 4.58%
Dallas, TX 71 12.03%
Denver, CO 29 4.92%
Indianapolis, IN 33 5.59%
Los Angeles, CA 12 2.03%
Miami, FL 16 2.71%
Montgomery County, MD 27 4.58%
Nashville, TN 26 4.41%
Newark, NJ 22 3.73%
New York, NY 23 3.90%
Northern Virginia 65 11.02%
Philadelphia, PA 51 8.64%
Pittsburgh, PA 47 7.97%
Raleigh, N.C. 43 7.29%
Toronto, ON 31 5.25%
Washington, D.C. 72 12.20%
Other (Specify) 13 2.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 11:13 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I think Amazon would do fine attracting talent outside the Northeast. Amazon is in Seattle. Seattle definitely is not part of "the awesome climate" group of west coast cities. Seattle weather flat out sucks IMO and to many other people. Weather is subjective, though, so I get millions love the weather there. But millions love the weather in the Northeast as well.

As for Manhattan prices, you also have plenty of people moving to the Bay Area for tech, so clearly people are comfortable doing it. I think enough tech people are fine being gentrifiers, though. Many neighborhoods of SF that were open-air drug markets full of drugs and crime are now full of techies. I haven't been back to SF in years, but when I moved in 2014, the Tenderloin was already changing, SoMa couldn't build fast enough, and the Mission is hipster haven. Parts of those neighborhoods a couple of years before were complete no-go zones (less so the Mission, more so the TL and SoMa).

Also, for those wanting SFH because they have families, North Jersey is great. NJT trains go straight to Newark from all over the nearby suburbs that are full of SFH.

Atlanta won't win because the Georgia state government is far too conservative. Amazon is a very liberal company and at the forefront of progressivism, including with LGBT rights. Georgia does not promote this at the state level, and it could create an issue in the future. If Georgia was a more moderate state, Atlanta's liberalism would overcome that boundary. But as of right now, I think the Georgia state government ruins Atlanta's chances. Also, Atlanta doesn't have the urban environment of Seattle or SF. It's working on it, and maybe Amazon could be a jumpstart. But I think Newark already has the bones that Atlanta is missing and creating that urban city would be much simpler and quicker in Newark.

Areas where hipsters and techies live now were dumps not too long ago. See above for SF neighborhoods. Parts of Brooklyn that are the hottest neighborhoods today were nearly war zones not too long ago. Almost the entire city of Philadelphia was the same, but now the city can't stop building enough. Newark might have a bad reputation, but it's changing quickly. The development of residential units, restaurants, bars, and shopping in downtown Newark has already started, and Amazon would only hasten that. Jersey City and Hoboken were both bad pretty recently ago also. The Ironbound in Newark is already a safe neighborhood, though not particularly wealthy. Who would have thought people would be flocking to Bed-Stuy, Harlem, SoMa, the Tenderloin, etc. though? I don't think people realize that Venice Beach was an extremely dangerous neighborhood for a long time as well. Amazon moving into Newark would just give it a chance to hasten the revitalization of Newark, and I think the problems Newark currently faces would not be an issue in a short amount of time.
No trust me I have full confidence that Newark will gentrify. I was just speaking on current events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 12:09 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Jeff Bezos is meeting Canadian PM Justin Trudeau in San Francisco today...I wonder if Toronto becoming their HQ2 might be a topic of discussion

Old 02-08-2018, 12:15 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Jeff Bezos is meeting Canadian PM Justin Trudeau in San Francisco today...I wonder if Toronto becoming their HQ2 might be a topic of discussion
I think the real humor there is SF was never considered?

Old 02-08-2018, 12:31 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I've never spoken unilaterally regarding Dallas/Houston vs Austin. I'd love for you to point that out. This has taken a personal turn for you, which is unfortunate, or maybe it was already personal?
I would point those out, because I actually use evidence and quote people, unlike you-all your posts so far have been lacking in them, but can you be less vague bout the topic. Do you want me to show where you bashed Dallas/Houston? Because I will below. Do you want me to show where you said Dallas/Houston are horrible and Austin is amazing? Because I never said or implied that that is what you said. And, like I said, it was cBach, an Austin pumper who was bashing DFW and Houston out of no where (once again, the two people who did bash Austin here are not from those cities), who originally grouped Austin with Philly and Boston. No one before that point below was comparing Austin to said cities by putting them in the same peer group, so if you want to be upset at someone for grouping them together, focus on cBach or Amazon. I don't see how this is personal, unless you have anything to support? Your arms must be very tired from all that reaching you do.

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...l#post50871902

Quote:
saying Austin is in the top 5 doesn't mean they're an Austin pumper. And again, I'm talking about Austin hate in this forum, not this thread.Curious where I said DFW is overrated in this thread or any thread? Please do point that out. In fact, I think in this very thread, when someone referenced Atlanta's airport, I pointed out that DFW's was incredibly busy as well. As for Houston, when someone was speaking of Pittsburgh, I said it wasn't compared to the New York's and Houston's of the world because they already have inherent advantages.
You didn't ask for Austin pumpers, of which there are you and cBach, you complained instead about people not speaking chiming in here in favor of Austin, which was obviously not the case.
//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...l#post50888041

I don't see what you complimenting DFW has to do with anything. I've said nice things about Austin on these forums multiple times and I've actually voted for Austin in several polls but that never stopped you in the past, though not in this thread at least, from calling me an Austin hater. Which leads me to believe that you think a hater is capable of complimenting whatever they are hating on. This is besides the point, however, since I called you out for bashing on DFW, or at least supporting that, not for being a DFW hater-there is a difference. And what happened was Murfc called Chicago and Atlanta, which you seemed to agree with by saying Texas runs this forum, "save Austin, it's the most hated city in here" because apparently half the South and Rust Belt do not exist here. I am pretty sure Atlanta has been called overrated by more people than Austin has on this thread.

Once again, you brought up anger towards Austin in a short exchange we were having exclusively about this thread (you were the one who first said in this thread). So, yes, you did talk about this thread. Someone said Texas is overrated on this forum, which you quoted and agreed to, except with the addition that Austin is the one exception. Just look at the short exchange below, you specified "this thread," which I continued with, and in your response gave no indication that you shifted from talking about this thread to talking about the forums overall.

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...l#post50957815

Quote:
You are arguing with something that is just not there. I've never once said all of Austin's haters were from Dallas and Houston and I also said the rivalry between the three are natural given proximity .

Show me where I bashed DFW or Houston's chances in this thread?
You forget, you are the one who started complaining about people calling Austinites arrogant, when no one has said that. You are the one bringing in your personal little Austin vs DFW/Houston rivalry into the thread-what does DFW and Houston supposedly having defenders, something you have not proven or shown, have to do with two negative posts about Austin? I could just as easily find two posts in this thread bashing on DFW. One by cBach is already linked. And this is the problem, your way and cBach's way of defending Austin, even to non-Texans or out-of-staters, is making side comments about or bashing DFW and Houston.

And you mean bashed DFW or Houston? Because I never said you bashed their chances. Below is the quoted post of cBach randomly bashing on DFW and Houston- a noncontender which you brought into the thread apparently because two out of staters were bashing on Austin?-and you agreeing with said bashing. Or were you trying to give a like because you disagreed with the bashing? Because I guess some people like posts because they disagree.

//www.city-data.com/forum/50935444-post835.html

And, this is unrelated, but I read a post while looking over the thread that concerned me. Were you implying that I was throwing "petty insults" about Austin in this thread or were you talking about someone else? I just want to make sure we are on the same page on that,

Old 02-08-2018, 12:31 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
I posted this over in the Philly forum, when someone mentioned seeing the Amazon commercial and Philadelphia and its temperature were seen on Alexa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=pypRKeF3u6A

I think whatever location Amazon chooses for HQ2, people are going to scour the internet and find and analyze every little minute thing Amazon/Bezos said and did from time they announced the HQ2 "contest" until the present, to try and show all the subtle "hints" or make it seem like there were subtle hints, when in reality there were none!

Old 02-08-2018, 01:25 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I think the real humor there is SF was never considered?
Haha does Bill Gates need to win the lottery?

Answer: No

Old 02-08-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I would point those out, because I actually use evidence and quote people, unlike you-all your posts so far have been lacking in them, but can you be less vague bout the topic. Do you want me to show where you bashed Dallas/Houston? Because I will below. Do you want me to show where you said Dallas/Houston are horrible and Austin is amazing? Because I never said or implied that that is what you said. And, like I said, it was cBach, an Austin pumper who was bashing DFW and Houston out of no where (once again, the two people who did bash Austin here are not from those cities), who originally grouped Austin with Philly and Boston. No one before that point below was comparing Austin to said cities by putting them in the same peer group, so if you want to be upset at someone for grouping them together, focus on cBach or Amazon. I don't see how this is personal, unless you have anything to support? Your arms must be very tired from all that reaching you do.

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...l#post50871902

You didn't ask for Austin pumpers, of which there are you and cBach, you complained instead about people not speaking chiming in here in favor of Austin, which was obviously not the case.
//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...l#post50888041

I don't see what you complimenting DFW has to do with anything. I've said nice things about Austin on these forums multiple times and I've actually voted for Austin in several polls but that never stopped you in the past, though not in this thread at least, from calling me an Austin hater. Which leads me to believe that you think a hater is capable of complimenting whatever they are hating on. This is besides the point, however, since I called you out for bashing on DFW, or at least supporting that, not for being a DFW hater-there is a difference. And what happened was Murfc called Chicago and Atlanta, which you seemed to agree with by saying Texas runs this forum, "save Austin, it's the most hated city in here" because apparently half the South and Rust Belt do not exist here. I am pretty sure Atlanta has been called overrated by more people than Austin has on this thread.

Once again, you brought up anger towards Austin in a short exchange we were having exclusively about this thread (you were the one who first said in this thread). So, yes, you did talk about this thread. Someone said Texas is overrated on this forum, which you quoted and agreed to, except with the addition that Austin is the one exception. Just look at the short exchange below, you specified "this thread," which I continued with, and in your response gave no indication that you shifted from talking about this thread to talking about the forums overall.

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...l#post50957815

You forget, you are the one who started complaining about people calling Austinites arrogant, when no one has said that. You are the one bringing in your personal little Austin vs DFW/Houston rivalry into the thread-what does DFW and Houston supposedly having defenders, something you have not proven or shown, have to do with two negative posts about Austin? I could just as easily find two posts in this thread bashing on DFW. One by cBach is already linked. And this is the problem, your way and cBach's way of defending Austin, even to non-Texans or out-of-staters, is making side comments about or bashing DFW and Houston.

And you mean bashed DFW or Houston? Because I never said you bashed their chances. Below is the quoted post of cBach randomly bashing on DFW and Houston- a noncontender which you brought into the thread apparently because two out of staters were bashing on Austin?-and you agreeing with said bashing. Or were you trying to give a like because you disagreed with the bashing? Because I guess some people like posts because they disagree.

//www.city-data.com/forum/50935444-post835.html

And, this is unrelated, but I read a post while looking over the thread that concerned me. Were you implying that I was throwing "petty insults" about Austin in this thread or were you talking about someone else? I just want to make sure we are on the same page on that,
Ok, we've killed this thread and your post is too long to read. Point out how I am an Austin pumper? And what's wrong with me saying Texas and the south run this forum? That's insulting Dallas somehow? What have I said, in this thread that is snide about Dallas? I brought in Houston because you did, but this tit for tat is killing this thread. I can't be the only one that thinks that. This thread and forum has people saying Austinites are arrogant, but I'm not going to do the audit for you. This is tiring. Your first link, I don't see where I bashed Dallas in that? or Houston?

For the rest of this thread, I will not reply to you. We are ruining what was once an enjoyable thread.

Like I said earlier, I don't know you from Maude, so I am not going to spend time auditing every one of our posts. I believe my original response in this thread was to someone saying they were tired of Austin's arrogance and I'm like where?

Old 02-08-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Haha does Bill Gates need to win the lottery?

Answer: No
I'd imagine that's the last thing SF needs. I just thought there was some irony, if true.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:04 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
. Done.
Whew! Glad that's over. See ya!

Old 02-08-2018, 06:02 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
rowhomecity said:

"7. Amazon wants a Bezos friendly location. (What the heck does this mean)."

It means he has South Texas connections. He grew up there.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ive-state-edge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.