Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HQ2 location?
Atlanta, GA 109 18.47%
Austin, TX 44 7.46%
Boston, MA 52 8.81%
Chicago, IL 85 14.41%
Columbus, OH 27 4.58%
Dallas, TX 71 12.03%
Denver, CO 29 4.92%
Indianapolis, IN 33 5.59%
Los Angeles, CA 12 2.03%
Miami, FL 16 2.71%
Montgomery County, MD 27 4.58%
Nashville, TN 26 4.41%
Newark, NJ 22 3.73%
New York, NY 23 3.90%
Northern Virginia 65 11.02%
Philadelphia, PA 51 8.64%
Pittsburgh, PA 47 7.97%
Raleigh, N.C. 43 7.29%
Toronto, ON 31 5.25%
Washington, D.C. 72 12.20%
Other (Specify) 13 2.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 12:37 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
I get what you're saying but I'm certain you didn't have them in the top 20 either. Amazon is seeing something you are obviously missing.
I never had a Top 20, I don't have a dog in this fight, I just enjoy debating and pushing people's buttons, this is a message board right! I personally think of Amazon as the "Evil Empire" or the "Dark Side" FWIW.

As for Amazon seeing something in Indianapolis, maybe, maybe not, there's no way to prove places like Indianapolis, Columbus, Nashville, were not just "filler" for the Top 20 (I apologize if I offended anyone with that possibility).

Unless you, personally, are on the Amazon HQ2 search committee, they could have easily just thrown darts at a board for kicks and giggles and they landed on those cities I mentioned, instead of say Detroit, Houston, and St. Louis.

Maybe Amazon already had their Top 1 and 2 locations or even Top 8 and just decided to pick others places to make it a nice Top 20 to drag the "dog and pony show" out even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 01:00 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
That's not how company location decisions work. The ease of travel is typically a big deal, and I bet it's especially important to Amazon.
So what was the point of leaving Nashville, Austin, Raleigh, Indy, Pittsburgh, and Columbus on the list, and taking Charlotte off? Charlotte's airport gets as many passengers as Nashville, Austin, Raleigh, and Columbus' combined.

Atlanta has the busiest airport in the world but you still can't get everywhere on the map. No airport can get you everywhere, and even if that airport does serve a city, that doesn't mean it'll have every day all day flights.

Amazon just looking at airports is like a graduate school just looking at GPA. If letters, test scores, experience, and interviews weren't important or didn't also matter in the grand scheme, they wouldn't be asking for them.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:13 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
First sentence: What an odd question! They've said there are multiple factors in the decision, so why would scoring lower on one factor necessarily put one city below another?

Second sentence: I don't get your point. This doesn't reply to my statement that easier is better.

Third: Of course.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:51 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
I said Austin or Indy, etc not having a wealth of direct connections shouldn't matter. You said "that's not how it works, ease of travel is a big deal."

A 3/6-3/10 round trip flight from Paris to Austin includes an 85 minute layover in Dallas. That's not that bad. Yeah you'd save an hour and a half if it was direct, but it doesn't change much in the grand scheme. You can still get to Austin, have your meetings/do your interview/see your family and have time left over.

I agree connections across the map are important, but I still don't think not being a hub will hurt a city like Austin that much. It's a hop and skip from DFW. Same with Indy from ORD.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:12 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
It's a hell of a lot quicker directly to Chicago, Atlanta, etc. And far more frequent.

I'm sure it doesn't sound like a big deal. But with corporate locations these things really matter. Especially for a company that hires and does business globally.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:28 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
It's a hell of a lot quicker directly to Chicago, Atlanta, etc. And far more frequent.

I'm sure it doesn't sound like a big deal. But with corporate locations these things really matter. Especially for a company that hires and does business globally.
It's a HUGE deal and I'll give a specific example.

I live in a big city with a small airport, San Diego. i need to fly to Pittsburgh. Though I live two miles from the airport, flights from San Diego to Pittsburgh will always involve a layover, are expensive, and will usually screw up my sleep cycle. If I fly from SD to PGH, it typically means being jetlagged the ENTIRE time, never feeling %100, sleeping until 1100 in Pittsburgh every day.

So 90% of the time, despite living right next to the San Diego airport, I drive 2 hours to LAX, get a cheaper, direct flight. Leave in the morning L.A. time, get there in the afternoon Pittsburgh time. Nothing skips a beat, and the flights are cheaper by hundreds of dollars, and even with the 2 hour drive my travel time is reduced.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:42 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,263,832 times
chicago and atlanta are way too overrated on this thread and forum. I have a feeling it is because C-D is overrating CoL when it comes to the calculus of this move.

More votes for Pittsburgh than Boston? lol wut?!?!?!? I like pittsburgh as an option but there is no way it is better than boston in anything unless you weight CoL as your number 1 criteria.

more votes for nashville than denver? haha.

Why does C-D love the south so much?

Old 02-04-2018, 05:48 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Seattle to Austin is pretty easy travel. It's not as big a deal as some hope it is.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:47 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
more votes for nashville than denver? haha.

Why does C-D love the south so much?
You've been on C-D since January 2008, by 2009 or earlier, you should have realized that C-D is just a very small select snapshot of the real world and still is in 2018.

That's why I chuckle when people take the polls on C-D so seriously.

You have to realize/know by now that only a certain subset/type of people post on here, and it's not a true representation of all the different types of people out there, so never take any poll on C-D serious, never. Just laugh and move along, nothing to see here!

Old 02-04-2018, 06:49 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Actually, no they cannot. Airspace is at a premium and adding umpteen flights in/out of any airport is something that has to go through the FAA. I would highly doubt that any such accommodation would be made via this administration for Amazon/Bezos.
Point taken. What I am referring to is when Austin took over the Bergstrom Air Force station for their current airport they knew the facility could easily be expanded as growth occurs.

Airport Master Plan | Austin-Bergstrom International Airport | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin

Further, I never mentioned adding "umpteen flights", I was referring to redirecting some flights if need be, albeit with some expansion, which is certainly a goal for most commercial airports.

As for this administration trying to slow commerce seems a bit of a longshot. Especially in a solid red state such as Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.