Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HQ2 location?
Atlanta, GA 109 18.47%
Austin, TX 44 7.46%
Boston, MA 52 8.81%
Chicago, IL 85 14.41%
Columbus, OH 27 4.58%
Dallas, TX 71 12.03%
Denver, CO 29 4.92%
Indianapolis, IN 33 5.59%
Los Angeles, CA 12 2.03%
Miami, FL 16 2.71%
Montgomery County, MD 27 4.58%
Nashville, TN 26 4.41%
Newark, NJ 22 3.73%
New York, NY 23 3.90%
Northern Virginia 65 11.02%
Philadelphia, PA 51 8.64%
Pittsburgh, PA 47 7.97%
Raleigh, N.C. 43 7.29%
Toronto, ON 31 5.25%
Washington, D.C. 72 12.20%
Other (Specify) 13 2.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 02:08 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,329,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
The incredibly long duration/stringing out of this decision is getting extremely annoying. Reminds me of LeBron James' decision when he took his talents to South Beach. I feel this is a strategic marketing ploy to get the best deal possible and the most attention they can.
Ya think? I predicted this would happen the day the "contest" was announced!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 10:18 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Do you know if/when these updates will be officially shared by Amazon (if true)?
The simple answer is no. Amazon operates on their own terms and schedule. My opinion is not representative of any inside company information, just to be candid. However, I do understand the company and have some connections that may or may not be valid for accurate information.

As of this date, I stand by my opinion that HQ2 will not be what was promised. Another HQ is still possible, but I believe it will be down-sized, atleast initially. Hence, the delay.

I still stand behind my original candidates, Texas (Austin or Dallas), DC (Maryland or Virginia). I have been fairly certain it will come down to these two areas, but what has changed is a down-sizing from what was originally set forth.

Again, please understand I am not an insider, just an informed participant in the process. This will indeed be quite interesting as it plays out.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:21 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,701,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
The simple answer is no. Amazon operates on their own terms and schedule. My opinion is not representative of any inside company information, just to be candid. However, I do understand the company and have some connections that may or may not be valid for accurate information.

As of this date, I stand by my opinion that HQ2 will not be what was promised. Another HQ is still possible, but I believe it will be down-sized, atleast initially. Hence, the delay.

I still stand behind my original candidates, Texas (Austin or Dallas), DC (Maryland or Virginia). I have been fairly certain it will come down to these two areas, but what has changed is a down-sizing from what was originally set forth.

Again, please understand I am not an insider, just an informed participant in the process. This will indeed be quite interesting as it plays out.
That answers my question. Thank you.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:44 AM

27 posts, read 22,499 times
It
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
IMO, the new reality is obvious...the new HQ2 will be less than envisioned. Be prepared for a letdown...the new HQ2 will be a slow startup with little upside in the first decade. Not to say it can't become a major center eventually, but all indicators are this hype is just that. Expect an announcement before years end, but also expect slow and go.

The Seattle politics are part of this, but the general business plan has been revised, IMO. I do wonder if this hype may backfire, but Amazon is too big to be bothered by such.

In a later post you state you are not an insider, but in this post you state Amazon's general plan has been revised (not public information). How possibly can you make such a statement if you are not an insider? Are you just making stuff up?

Last edited by JMT; 07-06-2018 at 01:23 PM..

Old 07-06-2018, 03:44 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
It

In a later post you state you are not an insider, but in this post you state Amazon's general plan has been revised (not public information). How possibly can you make such a statement if you are not an insider? Are you just making stuff up?
Except you apparently did not see that I used the term IMO twice in the above quote.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:58 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,113,643 times
It would be so fun if Amazon announced their choice and then the next day city officials responded "Too late, changed out minds. Don't want ya after all."

It'll never happen but until the decision is made that's the fantasy I'm running with.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:05 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
It would be so fun if Amazon announced their choice and then the next day city officials responded "Too late, changed out minds. Don't want ya after all."

It'll never happen but until the decision is made that's the fantasy I'm running with.
Even if they did, I'm sure Amazon will have a top # list so they'll just revert to number 2 on their list and so on...

Wish they would just make their decision to end all this nonsense. It's getting really old.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:36 PM

395 posts, read 598,021 times
A new study by Resonance consultancy states that the battle is between NY and Toronto. NY has the advantage of being the worlds financial centre and offering obscene taxpayer funded bribes while Toronto is offering none. Conversely Toronto is seen as being far easier to get international workers, has labour costs that are 40% cheaper than US, and our medical system would save Amazon $600 million every year.

Lots of predictions but I think it will come down to NY, Boston, Philly, Washington, Toronto and Atlanta but who ever wins I hope its a city that hasn`t offered bribes to one of the biggest and most profitable corporations on the planet benefitting the wealthiest man on the planet. Let the best city win but let them win on their merits and not on the strength of their corrupt and irresponsible politicians who have no trepidations about spending precious tax dollars Amazon which should be going to schools, hospitals, social service, or infrastructure. Amazon is the last damn company that should be on the receiving end of corporate welfare.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:00 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
A new study by Resonance consultancy states that the battle is between NY and Toronto. NY has the advantage of being the worlds financial centre and offering obscene taxpayer funded bribes while Toronto is offering none. Conversely Toronto is seen as being far easier to get international workers, has labour costs that are 40% cheaper than US, and our medical system would save Amazon $600 million every year.

Lots of predictions but I think it will come down to NY, Boston, Philly, Washington, Toronto and Atlanta but who ever wins I hope its a city that hasn`t offered bribes to one of the biggest and most profitable corporations on the planet benefitting the wealthiest man on the planet. Let the best city win but let them win on their merits and not on the strength of their corrupt and irresponsible politicians who have no trepidations about spending precious tax dollars Amazon which should be going to schools, hospitals, social service, or infrastructure. Amazon is the last damn company that should be on the receiving end of corporate welfare.
I had to look up who Resonance is, never heard of it. A Canadian consulting firm? Specializing in Canadian cities? That has Toronto on top? How refreshing! I think we just need a dartboard for this as to guess where Amazon is going to put this thing.

My guess, which is just as educated and accurate as any, is DC, Chicago or Atlanta, with Chicago on top with size, projects designed to accommodate, talent pool, housing capabilities that are affordable, and the 8 billion Chicago O'Hare expansion with the Elon Musk connection to the city.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:41 AM

27 posts, read 22,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post

Did Resonance consultancy take into account Amazon had $170 Billion in revenue in 2017 and paid $0.00 in US Federal taxes. Good luck Amazon getting the same treatment in Canada. For the record, I think US corporate tax laws are Bull****e!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.