Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rapidly Growing City/Metro most in need of Transit Overhaul
ATLANTA, GA. 32 34.78%
AUSTIN, TX. 23 25.00%
CHARLOTTE, NC. 5 5.43%
COLUMBUS, OH. 3 3.26%
MIAMI, FL. 11 11.96%
NASHVILLE, TN. 11 11.96%
ORLANDO, FL. 6 6.52%
SAN ANTONIO, TX. 1 1.09%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 01:17 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times

Advertisements

Lots of Atlanta mentions but I don't think it's the metro most in need of a transit overhaul. Atlanta's traffic is terrible not because of subpar transit, but primarily because of a subpar road network. Transit in Atlanta as well as in most Southern metros won't have the appeal of transit in other cities because it's not inconvenient to own a car there; there are very few tolls, parking is cheap and plentiful, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 01:24 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,402,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Same. Everyone I know from the NYC area that moves to North Carolina, Atlanta, Miami, Phoenix, or LA moves because they love driving and hate taking public transit. My cousins moving to Phoenix literally say it's such a great city because it was built for cars which makes it a better place to live in the Tri State. The people in the Tri State always ask why I'd ever leave LA are always the ones who love the burbs and strip malls and driving everywhere who avoid The City at almost all costs, yet will be the first to rep it if given the chance.

Where I could see improved public transit truly benefiting the city and being accepted by local residents is Miami due to the large population from Latin America. Large Latin American cities generally have good transit (at least better than Miami), but are also denser and more walkable. Those leaving large Latin American cities would be used to walking more and/or good public transit. Nashville and Austin also have the possibility because they are typically considered magnets for millennials and hipsters, both have good urban university campuses centrally located to the core, and both are experiencing massive high-rise building booms.

While Atlanta does have MARTA already, from my own personal experiences, it does not seem to be attracting the type of people who would flock to a good public transit system.
Very good points. I was in Miami a few weeks back (my brothers live in West Palm Beach) and I couldn’t believe a city set up like Miami didn’t have “great” transit options. People should definitely have more options in Miami!

Old 02-07-2018, 01:26 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,878,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Very good points. I was in Miami a few weeks back (my brothers live in West Palm Beach) and I couldn’t believe a city set up like Miami didn’t have “great” transit options. People should definitely have more options in Miami!
Miami and Atlanta's public transport is a joke and so is LA's

Old 02-07-2018, 01:43 PM

4,214 posts, read 3,300,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Miami and Atlanta's public transport is a joke and so is LA's
Other than the part about Los Angeles having one of the most comprehensive public transit systems in North America....yeah. People talk a lot of trash about Atlanta's, but in this country, if you have a metro rail of any kind, you're already winning.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:12 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,353,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Other than the part about Los Angeles having one of the most comprehensive public transit systems in North America....yeah. People talk a lot of trash about Atlanta's, but in this country, if you have a metro rail of any kind, you're already winning.
True. The initial step of having ANY heavy rail is already there in Atlanta. It just needs to be expanded. As the 9th largest metro area, it's already better off than #4 Dallas, #5 Houston, and #7 Miami. Also in the top 20 with worse public transit are Phoenix, Riverside, Detroit, San Diego, and Tampa. Compared to most major American cities, Atlanta is doing much better. Comparing it to other cities with heavy rail it is subpar, but that's like coming in last place in the playoffs; you still made the playoffs and are better than almost everyone else, you just didn't win.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
True. The initial step of having ANY heavy rail is already there in Atlanta. It just needs to be expanded. As the 9th largest metro area, it's already better off than #4 Dallas, #5 Houston, and #7 Miami. Also in the top 20 with worse public transit are Phoenix, Riverside, Detroit, San Diego, and Tampa. Compared to most major American cities, Atlanta is doing much better. Comparing it to other cities with heavy rail it is subpar, but that's like coming in last place in the playoffs; you still made the playoffs and are better than almost everyone else, you just didn't win.
Atlanta is terrible for a city of its size and stature but great for the South I agree.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:27 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Atlanta is terrible for a city of its size and stature but great for the South I agree.
But it's not even the worst for transit for its size and stature. You probably think it is because of the horrible traffic, but as I mentioned before, that's due to the subpar road network more than anything.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:40 PM

4,214 posts, read 3,300,749 times
Quote:
San Diego has 53 light rail stations and with 9 more coming, two regional rail lines (Sprinter and Coaster), and two intermodal transit centers with full Amtrak offerings inside the city limits. I take about 15-25 separate MTS trips a week in San Diego.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But it's not even the worst for transit for its size and stature. You probably think it is because of the horrible traffic, but as I mentioned before, that's due to the subpar road network more than anything.
Roads are bad as well and transit is bad. Atlanta should be a step up from Nashville but it has too many issues right now.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:01 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Does Atlanta’s residents even have the mentality to want more transit? The people from New York that I know are happy they can drive all day down there instead of taking a subway. And wasn’t their a racist term associated to MARTA a few years back from the white residents who think transit spreads ghettos?

Generally speaking all the new friends I made in Atlanta always had something negative to say about transit. It was either drive or use Uber/Lyft!
The City of Atlanta MARTA expansion referendum in 2016 passed with 72% of the vote. Core metro counties like Gwinnett are nearing the tipping point. Recent polls have shown a small majority of people in Gwinnett favor expanding transit. That county could have a transit referendum this fall or, more likely, 2020. The state legislature has introduced a comprehensive overhaul of regional transit and is finally showing a willingness to pay for it. The city and close-in suburban counties like Dekalb and Clayton have always had an appetite for it. Gwinnett and even Cobb are quickly warming to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.