Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rapidly Growing City/Metro most in need of Transit Overhaul
ATLANTA, GA. 32 34.78%
AUSTIN, TX. 23 25.00%
CHARLOTTE, NC. 5 5.43%
COLUMBUS, OH. 3 3.26%
MIAMI, FL. 11 11.96%
NASHVILLE, TN. 11 11.96%
ORLANDO, FL. 6 6.52%
SAN ANTONIO, TX. 1 1.09%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 03:03 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,631,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Roads are bad as well and transit is bad. Atlanta should be a step up from Nashville but it has too many issues right now.
You may not be happy about MARTA's reach, but it's not a "bad" transit system. It's safe, clean, and very reliable relative to other heavy rail systems. It's not killing people or falling apart like D.C. or MTA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 04:25 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,119,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Same. Everyone I know from the NYC area that moves to North Carolina, Atlanta, Miami, Phoenix, or LA moves because they love driving and hate taking public transit. My cousins moving to Phoenix literally say it's such a great city because it was built for cars which makes it a better place to live in the Tri State. The people in the Tri State always ask why I'd ever leave LA are always the ones who love the burbs and strip malls and driving everywhere who avoid The City at almost all costs, yet will be the first to rep it if given the chance.

Where I could see improved public transit truly benefiting the city and being accepted by local residents is Miami due to the large population from Latin America. Large Latin American cities generally have good transit (at least better than Miami), but are also denser and more walkable. Those leaving large Latin American cities would be used to walking more and/or good public transit. Nashville and Austin also have the possibility because they are typically considered magnets for millennials and hipsters, both have good urban university campuses centrally located to the core, and both are experiencing massive high-rise building booms.

While Atlanta does have MARTA already, from my own personal experiences, it does not seem to be attracting the type of people who would flock to a good public transit system.
Atlanta does have a pretty built up Downtown and Midtown urban area. I doubt people that live in Midtown Atlanta have qualms about public transit. Austin is experiencing a decrease in density overall. While Downtown is urbanizing, the rest of the metro continues to sprawl and sprawl. I don't see an effective light rail system in Austin until they build TOD's in the northern parts of the city and northern suburbs.

Old 02-07-2018, 04:26 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,879,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
You may not be happy about MARTA's reach, but it's not a "bad" transit system. It's safe, clean, and very reliable relative to other heavy rail systems. It's not killing people or falling apart like D.C. or MTA.
True you sold me on it.

Old 02-07-2018, 04:30 PM

617 posts, read 552,791 times
Quote:
Exactly. As has been mentioned before, the City of Atlanta passed the MARTA tax referendum, which is definitely a step in the right direction. Also TODs are popping up at numerous stations across the system so that is encouraging less car travel and more transit travel due to proximity. There are plenty of negatives to lament about Atlanta traffic but we are seeing slow but sure signs that progress is coming. Things could be much worst, such as having no HRT at all lol.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:45 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,628,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Very good points. I was in Miami a few weeks back (my brothers live in West Palm Beach) and I couldn’t believe a city set up like Miami didn’t have “great†transit options. People should definitely have more options in Miami!
The Miami metro (Miami / Ft.Lauderdale / W. Palm Beach ) now has two commuter rail lines ( Tri-Rail & Brightline) in addition to Miami's heavy rail Metrorail & Metromover systems.
All three counties can benefit from East-West rail based options but buses move the majority and are stuck in a highly congested & densely populated metropolitan area.

There is also this :

Another half-penny transportation tax may be on the November ballot as Miami-Dade county scrambles to add transit.

Half-penny transportation tax may be on November ballot - Miami Today

As for W. Palm Beach it has its own transit agency & is 70+ miles away from Miami itself so the issue is not with Miami.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:20 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,403,235 times
Quote:
It would have to be comparable first.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:22 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,403,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
The Miami metro (Miami / Ft.Lauderdale / W. Palm Beach ) now has two commuter rail lines ( Tri-Rail & Brightline) in addition to Miami's heavy rail Metrorail & Metromover systems.
All three counties can benefit from East-West rail based options but buses move the majority and are stuck in a highly congested & densely populated metropolitan area.

There is also this :

Another half-penny transportation tax may be on the November ballot as Miami-Dade county scrambles to add transit.

Half-penny transportation tax may be on November ballot - Miami Today

As for W. Palm Beach it has its own transit agency & is 70+ miles away from Miami itself so the issue is not with Miami.
NYC is going through decreases in bus ridership because of congestion as well. But luckily the MTA/DOT is trying to turn as many buses as possible into BRT.

Cities like Miami and NYC should get rid of streets that have no cure of decreasing congestion and replace the with wall spaces and street cars.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:07 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,409,141 times
Just about every city in the U.S. could use a transportation overhaul.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:09 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Roads are bad as well and transit is bad. Atlanta should be a step up from Nashville but it has too many issues right now.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say the roads and transit are "bad" in Atlanta. Care to clarify? And yes, transit in Atlanta is absolutely a step up from Nashville--which only has one commuter rail line at this point.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:32 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,486,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
How would you know? You hate MARTA to the point of charging into the Atlanta forum to tell visiting businesswomen it isn't safe to ride, ***especially if they're white.***

Take your ant-Atlanta agenda elsewhere.
Maybe because I'm more concerned with the well being of innocent people requesting truthful responses vs. those more concerned with shaking pom-poms and putting lipstick on a pig.

Take your pro-Atlanta agenda elsewhere.

Atlanta crime: How safe is MARTA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.