Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rapidly Growing City/Metro most in need of Transit Overhaul
ATLANTA, GA. 32 34.78%
AUSTIN, TX. 23 25.00%
CHARLOTTE, NC. 5 5.43%
COLUMBUS, OH. 3 3.26%
MIAMI, FL. 11 11.96%
NASHVILLE, TN. 11 11.96%
ORLANDO, FL. 6 6.52%
SAN ANTONIO, TX. 1 1.09%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 10:40 AM

12,164 posts, read 8,014,676 times

Advertisements

Orlando.. 70 million visitors a year? One of the fastest growing metropolitan areas inn the country? City hosting the largest unievrsity in the country?

City Transit? Sunrail which is a joke. There needs to be some sort of public transportation from OIA to places like the Florida Mall area/OBT, I Drive, Universal Area and Disney. Then a few other lines connecting the medical city to UCF and Downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 10:55 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tams here View Post
Nashville is much easier to get around now that all that construction is done. Woo Hoo with the five lanes each way on 40! I always think when driving there, why can't Austin do this!
Wonder how hard it would be to widen I35. Probably not in our lifetimes.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:51 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Orlando.. 70 million visitors a year? One of the fastest growing metropolitan areas inn the country? City hosting the largest unievrsity in the country?

City Transit? Sunrail which is a joke. There needs to be some sort of public transportation from OIA to places like the Florida Mall area/OBT, I Drive, Universal Area and Disney. Then a few other lines connecting the medical city to UCF and Downtown.
Lynx already operates these routes. They also operate four BRT routes in the Center City. You clearly don't know much about Orlando.

https://www.golynx.com/lynxmap/Publi...ps/LYNXMap.pdf

Old 02-08-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Lynx already operates these routes. They also operate four BRT routes in the Center City. You clearly don't know much about Orlando.

https://www.golynx.com/lynxmap/Publi...ps/LYNXMap.pdf

Are you serious... Lynx is probably one of the most inefficient services ever provided by a city. Not only is lynx confusing, but it is extremely spotty with service. Lynx does not run to Lake Nona at frequencies you would need. Light rail is needed. Going from the airport to downtown Orlando can take about 2 hours, and going to the tourist district on Lynx? It will take the better of 2.5 hours. There is a reason why maglevs, sunrail expansions and light rail are proposed for Orlando metro area. I urge you next time in Orlando to take one of these routes

btw. where is that direct route from OIA to JYP or or Florida Mall or Disney Springs, or Universal ? hmm... how about Medical City to UCF?
Nice try.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:53 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Are you serious... Lynx is probably one of the most inefficient services ever provided by a city. Not only is lynx confusing, but it is extremely spotty with service. Lynx does not run to Lake Nona at frequencies you would need. Light rail is needed. Going from the airport to downtown Orlando can take about 2 hours, and going to the tourist district on Lynx? It will take the better of 2.5 hours. There is a reason why maglevs, sunrail expansions and light rail are proposed for Orlando metro area. I urge you next time in Orlando to take one of these routes
I don't do any of those routes when I'm in town, my friends live Downtown and I just rent a car.

There are no present proposals for LRT, it was voted down several years ago. SunRail will eventually expand to the Airport there, but that won't help in getting out to the attractions area.

Quote:
btw. where is that direct route from OIA to JYP or or Florida Mall or Disney Springs, or Universal ? hmm... how about Medical City to UCF?
Nice try.
That's what Disney Magical Express, Mears, uber & lyft are for. I guess you have trouble reading Lynx's transit maps and bus schedules as well.

Again, you don't know much about Orlando. Your ridiculous claim that Curry Ford & Alafaya is one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Florida proved it.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:09 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
"In 2015, for instance, among the four transit systems, only the Massachusetts system had a lower rate of violent crime. MARTA’s rate was about 30 per every 100,000 average daily riders the system has, the same as DC’s, while Massachusetts’ was 23. The San Francisco system, whose rider numbers are most comparable to MARTA, had a rate of 44, the AJC found."

What point are you trying to make? That MARTA is unsafe? You posted an article that compares MARTA favorably to other transit systems.
Just don't ride on Labor Day and you're good.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I don't do any of those routes when I'm in town, my friends live Downtown and I just rent a car.

There are no present proposals for LRT, it was voted down several years ago. SunRail will eventually expand to the Airport there, but that won't help in getting out to the attractions area.

That's what Disney Magical Express, Mears, uber & lyft are for. I guess you have trouble reading Lynx's transit maps and bus schedules as well.

Again, you don't know much about Orlando. Your ridiculous claim that Curry Ford & Alafaya is one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Florida proved it.

Thats the whole poijnt of this discussion? Trains and light rail > Lyft, Disney Express?
Yeah no one called curry ford and alafaya dangerous. Curry Ford and Semoran is a pretty bad area.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:49 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
I don't care who needs it, I just want to see it done. I'm only 24, but even if Atlanta, Austin, Orlando, Kansas, the US government whoever announced tomorrow that they're going to build a massive, efficient transit service/loop freeway/tunnel/invigorated Amtrak/regional high speed train, etc, it probably wouldn't be finished until I'm 60.

Years and years are spent on environment and traffic studies, the public gets curious, the studies are done, the public gets excited, leaders do nothing with them, the public moves on, time passes, the public starts demanding traffic fixes again, leaders listen, but the previous studies have expired so now we have to do them all over again. Then you have to wrestle funding, fight off nimby's, acquire right a ways, fight off nimby's, and then construct, it takes forever.

Can't build anything today because cul de sac sprawl is now in the way, land and construction is expensive, and people still think just because they wont ride it, it won't benefit them, and any mention of "taxes" receives a hell no. I'm pessimistic about transit now. Leaders from cities, metros, and states across the country keep saying the same old thing - "we're going to fix this", then the next thing you know it's a year later, two years later, three years later, still no traction. That popular CD thread that was made in the city forum about the upcoming new transit is now on page 42.

Unless it's an airport, seaport, or diverging diamond opportunity, it just doesn't seem to be priority these days. Roads, rail, subways, Amtrak, high speed regional connections, no time for it.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:50 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times
Austin needs an interstate overhaul. Atlanta needs to expand pt options.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:59 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
The Difference between Atlanta and the Philly area is Atlanta is in Georgia, point blank... Delaware valley is much more open mined when it comes to Transit, that's both Politically and the way people think of Transit. Philly/South Jersey and Delaware is on a different level in that department...The south seems to be a hard sell when it comes to transit anyway.. That tends to keep Cities like Atlanta, Nashville, and Charlotte behind no matter how progressive they may get.
I noticed when I lived in the South that many white people had strong aversion to public transit. My theory is that this happened when the Civil Rights Act ended segregation on mass transportation. That meant that white bus riders would no longer be guaranteed that they would not have a "Negro" sit next to them. By that time, wages had risen and cars were cheaper, so they opted in droves to travel by car rather than share a seat with a black person. Kind of like when the schools were desegregated--it's easy to send the kids to private schools or move to all white suburbs to maintain a segregated lifestyle. Northerners never had legal segregation of public facilities, so sharing a bus seat with someone of a different race was nothing to them..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.