Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 09:24 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
While NYC did/does have a manufacturing sector, it was nowhere near the largest sector of its economy, unlike Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse upstate, or Pittsburgh, Erie, Johnstown, et al in PA. That's what makes those cities Rust Belt, but not NYC.

The operative phrase being "(B)ut being the financial center propped it up"

It still contributed to NYC reaching its low point economically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 07:54 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
There are Midwest cities that are dense. There are also cities with bombed out areas...nationwide.

https://geovisualist.com/2015/05/18/...e-is-so-dense/
Go Milwaukee!! I never really thought about it's density compared to other cities. We're in good company.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:14 AM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Most coastal elitists don't like the Midwest and the South. They views the Midwest is un-educated and fly over country, no place to visit but Chicago but not all. I would like its like 70 percent people from coasts don't like Midwest but 30 percent like the Midwest as a place to visit and or live based on my experiences.
Most of those people with that mentality love to go out of their way to tear down the Midwest to make themselves feel better about living on the Coasts. They love to say the Midwest is uneducated but it seems the Coasts is a lot more uneducated because they never take time to learn anything outside of their bubble and a lot of them hate to travel outside of that bubble.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:30 AM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Most of those people with that mentality love to go out of their way to tear down the Midwest to make themselves feel better about living on the Coasts. They love to say the Midwest is uneducated but it seems the Coasts is a lot more uneducated because they never take time to learn anything outside of their bubble and a lot of them hate to travel outside of that bubble.
Fully agree

Some years ago, my company put together teams of people from various locations and sent them to Philly. It was a company with locations all over the country, but was pretty heavily skewed towards the Midwest. I was out of the Detroit location and there were others out of locations from states like Ohio, Wisconsin, Iowa, and so on. A few were from further east--one from Manhattan, one from Boston, and etc. All of us were in managerial positions.

Any time that you get a group together, they talk a bit before getting to work. The group was chatting about the places they were from and education. Everyone was getting on just fine with each other except for the one loudmouth from Manhattan. She started to talk about her superior education and how she had the best education of all of us because of where she had grown up. At some point in the conversation, she saw that one of the quieter representatives was from Wisconsin. Manhattan Mega-Mouth said, "Wisconsin? What the hell is that? Who even KNOWS where that is?"

The room got quiet and the Wisconsin representative quietly said that in Wisconsin, they certainly taught geography and she was sorry to see that they apparently didn't teach it in Manhattan schools.

LOL

Old 03-26-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Fully agree

Some years ago, my company put together teams of people from various locations and sent them to Philly. It was a company with locations all over the country, but was pretty heavily skewed towards the Midwest. I was out of the Detroit location and there were others out of locations from states like Ohio, Wisconsin, Iowa, and so on. A few were from further east--one from Manhattan, one from Boston, and etc. All of us were in managerial positions.

Any time that you get a group together, they talk a bit before getting to work. The group was chatting about the places they were from and education. Everyone was getting on just fine with each other except for the one loudmouth from Manhattan. She started to talk about her superior education and how she had the best education of all of us because of where she had grown up. At some point in the conversation, she saw that one of the quieter representatives was from Wisconsin. Manhattan Mega-Mouth said, "Wisconsin? What the hell is that? Who even KNOWS where that is?"

The room got quiet and the Wisconsin representative quietly said that in Wisconsin, they certainly taught geography and she was sorry to see that they apparently didn't teach it in Manhattan schools.

LOL
I'm glad that Wisconsin rep checked her. That's a big misconception among the Coasts that all of the Midwest is uneducated and ignorant. But, actually, a lot of the Midwest is more educated than people give it credit for. At least, most people in the Midwest is willing to learn something new and will go outside of their comfort zone unlike the Coasts. It's funny that a lot of people say they have the best schools but they didn't learn basic geography.

Old 03-26-2018, 05:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I'm glad that Wisconsin rep checked her. That's a big misconception among the Coasts that all of the Midwest is uneducated and ignorant. But, actually, a lot of the Midwest is more educated than people give it credit for. At least, most people in the Midwest is willing to learn something new and will go outside of their comfort zone unlike the Coasts. It's funny that a lot of people say they have the best schools but they didn't learn basic geography.
I was with you until the bold. Because of what one person said, in an anecdote that was repeated to you second hand, you believe that all people on "the Coasts" are not willing to go out of their comfort zone and don't learn geography. Further, you think that all people in the midwest are the opposite.

I grew up in the interior east, lived in the midwest for 7 years and now Colorado for 37, and briefly on both the east and west coasts. I've found people to be pretty much the same everywhere. Some are jerks. Most are not.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I was with you until the bold. Because of what one person said, in an anecdote that was repeated to you second hand, you believe that all people on "the Coasts" are not willing to go out of their comfort zone and don't learn geography. Further, you think that all people in the midwest are the opposite.

I grew up in the interior east, lived in the midwest for 7 years and now Colorado for 37, and briefly on both the east and west coasts. I've found people to be pretty much the same everywhere. Some are jerks. Most are not.
Which cities did you live on the Coasts and in the Midwest? What were your experiences? I wasn't saying everybody on the Coasts thinks or acts that way, I was trying to saying a certain group of people has those attitudes. I went on a little rant in my post. I also said that people on the Midwest are willing to go more outside of their comfort zone because there are more people from the Midwest moving to or visiting other places as oppose to people on the Coasts. Also, I went by what I observed a few years ago when the RNC announced the chose Cleveland for 2016 Convention on how a lot of the Coasts and Beltway media made snarky remarks about Cleveland.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:05 AM

936 posts, read 823,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
It's true. People on the coasts are ignorant of geography and are afraid to step outside their bubble and learn anything new.

Don't believe me? Just read a month's worth of travel reviews and ratings for Kansas City on sites like TripAdvisor or Yelp.

You'll constantly see people from New York or LA write: "I never knew this was in Kansas..."

The problem: They never set foot in Kansas for one second. You can tell by their review history. These people traveled about 2,000 freakin' miles and they don't know what freakin' state they visited. They were in MISSOURI the whole time. There is a Kansas City, Kansas, but you don't want to go there. It's one of the roughest part of the metropolitan area.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:02 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
It's true. People on the coasts are ignorant of geography and are afraid to step outside their bubble and learn anything new.

Don't believe me? Just read a month's worth of travel reviews and ratings for Kansas City on sites like TripAdvisor or Yelp.

You'll constantly see people from New York or LA write: "I never knew this was in Kansas..."

The problem: They never set foot in Kansas for one second. You can tell by their review history. These people traveled about 2,000 freakin' miles and they don't know what freakin' state they visited. They were in MISSOURI the whole time. There is a Kansas City, Kansas, but you don't want to go there. It's one of the roughest part of the metropolitan area.
But Kansas City isn't in Kansas .

Old 03-27-2018, 07:57 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post

It's very true. It seems like the larger the city you are from the worse your sense of geography is.

You will also see people post stuff about how they are scared or totally uninterested in exploring anything outside their bubble comfort zone.

I find it funny they will make fun of overwhelmed tourists in NYC but they can't handle visiting other, different places. I saw it all the time when I rented cars out of DFW.

Meanwhile you have folks like my mother who grew up on a farm in Iowa, and while she doesn't have any real interest in living in NYC or LA has visited before and could tell you the general location of things.

Then you have Mr coastal elite who cant tell you the location of Iowa exactly and will confuse it with Idaho and Indiana and just point to Nebraska on a map and make the excuse that "It isn't important" for his embarrassing ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.