Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 02:32 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Their opinions are widely available on the internet. I do know some racist rednecks though, and they have zero problem with Italians.
Well, all I can say to that is "Bonjour!"

https://youtu.be/3DZbSlkFoSU
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 09:53 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You know some of them? I have never met one that I know of.
I've met some in Texas. Now, the ones that don't speak up, I guess we don't know right?

Old 07-01-2018, 05:40 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,429,831 times
I doubt it. I'm an Italian-American from NJ. I figure I would be seen just as another Yankee to them.

Old 07-01-2018, 04:23 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,282,316 times
After 7 pages, I think the consensus is overwhelming..no in 2018 italian-americans would not be viewed as foreign.

Perhaps a more relevant question is would Italian-Americans be viewed as having a somewhat distinct sub-identity/culture in the way Jewish-Americans do?

Old 07-01-2018, 06:27 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I don't think so. However, if this question was asked about 60 years ago, then yes in some parts. Italians(especially Sicilians) were even lynched on occasions in the South. There is a popular Sicilian-American rapper out now named Russ. He is Atlanta-based(though was born in New Jersey). He's self admits as a white person, but could pass as a Puerto Rican or some other widely perceived non-white group.
Agreed. I think people on this thread are addressing different issues. Many are making blanket statements that Italians are now considered “white,” which is true. BUT it is NOT true that ALL Italian Americans LOOK white. There are a decent number who could be mistaken as Hispanic or other ethnicities.

Alessia Cara, Ariana Grande, Theo Rossi, and many more all could easily pass as Hispanic, and many at first look, would probably guess they were Hispanic. Even Joe Mantegna could pass as Hispanic. People are bringing up 2 different points. Yes, Italians are white but many would be mistaken at first look as being Hispanic.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:21 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
After 7 pages, I think the consensus is overwhelming..no in 2018 italian-americans would not be viewed as foreign.

Perhaps a more relevant question is would Italian-Americans be viewed as having a somewhat distinct sub-identity/culture in the way Jewish-Americans do?
Change your settings. You can view more posts per page.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post

They wouldn't be viewed as being foreign, but a good number of Italian Americans, just off of look alone, would likely be mistaken as being Hispanic or other ethnicities in a place like the Deep South where there aren't large numbers of Italians. That doesn't mean they would be discriminated against or disliked. But on first site, darker Italian Americans (Sicilian/southern Italy heritage) would not be assumed to be American "white" in many places in the Deep South. Now there are plenty other Italians who do look plain American "white."

If you are talking about how they are classified as a group, then yes, they are absolutely seen as white. However, if you are talking about how they are perceived in areas like the Deep South where they aren't large in number, they would still be thought of as white, but a good number would likely be mistaken for Hispanic or other ethnicities if they just walked into a store/restaurant. Upon interaction, it likely become clear they are Italian.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:52 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
They wouldn't be viewed as being foreign, but a good number of Italian Americans, just off of look alone, would likely be mistaken as being Hispanic or other ethnicities in a place like the Deep South where there aren't large numbers of Italians. That doesn't mean they would be discriminated against or disliked. But on first site, darker Italian Americans (Sicilian/southern Italy heritage) would not be assumed to be American "white" in many places in the Deep South. Now there are plenty other Italians who do look plain American "white."

If you are talking about how they are classified as a group, then yes, they are absolutely seen as white. However, if you are talking about how they are perceived in areas like the Deep South where they aren't large in number, they would still be thought of as white, but a good number would likely be mistaken for Hispanic or other ethnicities if they just walked into a store/restaurant. Upon interaction, it likely become clear they are Italian.
Have you ever seen the movie Easy Rider? There's a scene in the diner and at least one of the "good old boys" looks like he could be of Southern Italian heritage. It takes place in the deep South. And at least one of the girls in that scene had an Italian surname in the credits (Grezzafi).

Old 07-02-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Have you ever seen the movie Easy Rider? There's a scene in the diner and at least one of the "good old boys" looks like he could be of Southern Italian heritage. It takes place in the deep South. And at least one of the girls in that scene had an Italian surname in the credits (Grezzafi).
I haven’t seen the movie, but I can believe it. I think Italian Americans are fully integrated in general American culture now, even though they do carry on some of their own traditions. I am Polish American, and we are the same way. Here in Chicagoland where we have the highest Polish population in the country (or other parts of the NE and Midwest where we have high numbers), many of us are as American as apple pie. Like Italians, we are predominantly Catholic and still carry on a lot of traditions. The difference being that on looks alone, a Polish person would almost never be mistaken for anything other than what Americans perceive as “white,” whereas a small portion of Italian Americans (just based on looks) could be mistaken for other ethnicities. That doesn’t change the fact that they are completely integrated and can still be “good ole boys” despite having Southern Itailan heritage.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:42 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Quote:
North Africans aren't white either.
Some are. I've seen Morrocans and Egyptians who are pretty feckin' white. But I've also seen North Africans who are certainly NOT white, but not black either. But North Africa is an ancient continental crossroad anyway, the genetics down there are rich and complicated. The concept of race in itself is pretty outdated. I can imagine that by the 2090s, the current 20th century/early 21st century concept of race will be seen as pretty primitive.

Personally, I've always grown up as a kid seeing race as nothing more than a physical descriptor. My 7 year old mind didn't even put genetics in perspective because I didn't understand that, but to me it was just what you looked like. Now I was naive enough to consider "Asians" a "white" because they have the same skin tone as white people haha. Which is also silly, because I didn't consider other features.

But in my teens I questioned the very meaning of "racial identity." Being white Hispanic, it always felt like some stupid tug of war. I'm white. No, I'm Hispanic? But thats not a race. And dark skinned Hispanics (mestizos and mulattos) are quick to point out my "whiteness." But then ignorant Americans will say I'm NOT white, "but you're Hispanic" even though before I told them I was, they just saw me as "white." Which is why I find the concept of race so stupid, and not in the sense that it doesn't exist, but the fact that its definitions are A. too convoluted B. inconsistent and C. often defined by both bias and ignorant.

So I'd say that anyone with predominantly "white features" and "white ancestry," is "white." In reality, race shouldn't be any more complicated than any other feature. Ethnicity is more concretely defined and less stringent. Notice how we also ignore biracial people in this country. Obama is 50/50 but he's 90% referred to as "black." In Cuba, he wouldn't be called black. Not white either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.