Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 10:45 PM

638 posts, read 349,706 times

Advertisements

Sicilians often times look more hispanic or middleastern. Still they won’t have any issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 12:57 AM

2,409 posts, read 1,529,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I believe the phrase is "The South is gonna RISE again." Not "The south is gonna do it again."

So yeah, if you're saying "What is the south gonna do, lose again?" then be prepared to be met with some crankiness from southerners who don't appreciate having their words misrepresented. Hell, I don't even SAY it and I'm feeling cranky just reading what you wrote! LOL
Better correct this guy. He even made up a song about it. Or pehaps he got it correct and you are grossly misinformed. Feeling cranky can have that effect on people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEKMED-_2QQ

Old 03-15-2022, 06:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
Better correct this guy. He even made up a song about it. Or pehaps he got it correct and you are grossly misinformed. Feeling cranky can have that effect on people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEKMED-_2QQ

All I can tell you is that I was born in New Orleans and have lived in the south nearly my entire life and have never heard anyone say "The South's gonna do it again" but HAVE heard "The South's gonna rise again" many, many times - sometimes even in jest! (And I don't listen to the Charlie Daniels Band but if by some strange quirk I run into any of the members I will let them know that some stranger on the internet told me to correct them.)

By the way, that's a song - not the saying that is sometimes heard in the southern states. Probably a lot more often than the Charlie Daniels Band for that matter, thank goodness. I tried to watch that video but couldn't take it.

One more point - I never said that no one ever used any other term - my point was that the phrase most commonly used is "The South's gonna rise again." It's rarely even said anymore but many southerners do know it. I would bet more southerners know that phrase than have ever heard this Charlie Daniels song, which is about southern rock groups.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 03-15-2022 at 07:11 AM..

Old 03-15-2022, 07:05 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Regarding the song by the Charlie Daniels Band (from 1974):
Quote:
The song uses a clever play on words to promote Southern rock music. The notion that "the South shall rise again" was a familiar sentiment and rallying cry for disaffected Southern whites after the American Civil War. The song co-opts that sentiment, but uses the statement to celebrate Southern rock acts contemporary to the song itself. The "it" that the South is going to do again, it is implied, is that the South would produce further popular Southern rock bands.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_South%27s_Gonna_Do_It

Old 03-15-2022, 07:21 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
So just to add my own two cents: My dad is a pretty tan italian guy. Tan enough that one time when I was a kid, we were visiting my relatives in San Diego, and walked over the border to Tijuana, and some guy came up to us and congratulated my dad for getting a 'white family' (my mom is of Swedish descent and my siblings and I definitely got her complexion and hair color). But my dad also went to college in the late 60s/early 70s at a University in the south. He had a friend in the dorms who wanted to rush a fraternity, so my dad went with him to a few different frat houses. One in particular, "Kappa Alpha" or KA, saw he was an Italian catholic from the north, and basically laughed in his face and told he wasn't welcome there. Now granted, this was 50 years ago, but there definitely use to be some contention.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 03-15-2022 at 07:42 AM..

Old 03-15-2022, 07:47 AM

6,799 posts, read 4,243,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
I think Jewish people are the only “white” group that still faces regular discrimination. I also think it’s interesting that many Portuguese Americans, especially in New Bedford/Fall River have complicated views about how white/not white they are and as a result, you have really high numbers of “other” on the US census. I think a big part of this is that in Massachusetts, there is still a good amount of immigration from Portugal/the azores/Cape Verde, so the portuguese identity is still reinforced by recent immigrants.

Where would Jewish people still face discrimination in the United States today?

The Jewish people I know and associate with are all members of the upper middle class and seem indistinguishable from other members of the upper middle class in pretty much every way and seem to be treated by everyone as such.

Old 03-15-2022, 01:32 PM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Where would Jewish people still face discrimination in the United States today?

The Jewish people I know and associate with are all members of the upper middle class and seem indistinguishable from other members of the upper middle class in pretty much every way and seem to be treated by everyone as such.
Day to day, it may not be a huge issue in terms of jobs and housing discrimination.
But there are still hate crimes against Jewish people (Pittsburgh shooting) and antisemitic hate groups and conspiracy theories. There isnt really a similar movement against Italian Americans , although Italians certainly faced prejudice in the past.

Old 03-15-2022, 09:40 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
So there is a discussion on the Nj forum about a mayor's mom,(Joe Rotundo) rant about Koreans.

Joe Rotundo is Italian American,I believe 3rd generation.

One of the posters wrote" I would bet many NJ Italians if they traveled to Midland Texas, or Little Rock Arkansas would be seen as immigrants or tourists based on how they look and behave."

Now part of me is skeptical about this,and i really do not see how someone who is a fully assimilated American of Italian descent can look out of place in Texas(which is diverse anyway)
South Louisiana has a large Italian American population and with very few exceptions there's no doubt that they are white. Politically and socially they're very much like like other white Louisianans. Louisiana also has many white people of European Spanish descent because we were a Spanish in addition to a French colony in the past before the Louisiana Purchase. Most Italian Americans here are very conservative and most support building the wall and fighting illegal immigration.

I do know one lady here in Louisiana, my friend's mom, who is part Sicilian and says that Sicilians are not white, while other Italians are. This was brought up because people accused her of racism for flying the Confederate flag, which I personally don't consider racist. I HAVE read that many Sicilians do have part African and Arab ancestry because of Sicily's location the way many Northern Italians are mixed with French and Germans.

Only once did a white person tell me that Italians in general are "not white" and this was in West Virginia. The person who said did wasn't prejudiced against Italians but he just said they weren't white.

I know a guy from here who is white but has a Spanish surname because of Spanish ancestry and he tells me he hates how when he travels outside Louisiana people woodier if he is part Mexican and he always has to remind people he's "100% white". To him ,being mistaken for Mexican is very bad and he tends to have a negative opinion of Mexicans.

Old 05-15-2022, 04:56 PM

31 posts, read 14,050 times
My sister in law born and raised in SC rejected myself and my mom (her mother in law) using the excuse that we were Italian American. She refused to eat my mom's Americanized "Italian" cooking- spaghetti and meat balls. She's gone as far as keeping my brother away from us for years, commenting on how she can't relate to us etc. So I would say that an Italian American in 2022 could actually have an issue in the south. I also have a sister in law in the Midwest, who once saw my mom's tan line and said "oh you are white", so yes some people do look at us as foreign and in that last case as not quite white... btw, if we were so mainstream why is the term Guido so freely used to describe us??? I don't see those types of terms used to describe other ethnicities or races. I guess Italian Americans are the last safe group to disparage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.