Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 06:54 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,397,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Interesting comment. So which portions of DC do you NOT consider downtown?

Pretty much if it isn’t in this frame (excluding Rosslyn), I don’t really consider it the downtown (again. Downtown as in a general term and not the specific area called downtown).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 07:42 AM

5,833 posts, read 5,637,561 times
I love DC as much as ardent DC boosters but its laughable that DTDC is on another level from DTLA--->they are in that same second tier of downtowns...

Old 10-12-2018, 07:46 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
So basically, a resounding no.

That’s not a real grocery store. Grocery stores don’t close at 6pm and 5pm on Sunday. So I just have a problem claiming a downtown is fully functional yet doesn’t even have a single grocery store....
I could have predicted this silly response verbatim.
Sweet Auburn Market is very much a full service grocery store (complete with pharmacy), as the pictures indicate, with added benefit of home grown produce. Oh, but it's not a Publix; well boo hoo frickin' hoo.
Crickets on the clothing store comment, I see.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:14 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,968,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I love DC as much as ardent DC boosters but its laughable that DTDC is on another level from DTLA--->they are in that same second tier of downtowns...
I hate these discussions because we can never agree on which neighborhoods constitute downtown. DC homers are overly generous.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:27 AM

39 posts, read 36,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I should have said as a percentage of the population, everyone knows about NYC's constant cranes, nonetheless:

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...ill-leads-u-s/

Where is Philadelphia?
Oh come on. Just because RLB doesn't survey the cranes in Philadelphia doesn't mean there aren't cranes up there. My guess is there are about 12 or so cranes up now.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:43 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,713,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I should have said as a percentage of the population, everyone knows about NYC's constant cranes, nonetheless:

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...ill-leads-u-s/

Where is Philadelphia?
1. That article and statistic is bogus. Those crane numbers are literally made up.
2. No one counts development by the number of cranes they see.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:45 AM

8,869 posts, read 6,878,641 times
Despite my city winning the RLB survey, I don't trust it either. They undercount New York, and omit Miami entirely.

It's an actual count, but they don't count everything.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:52 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,713,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Despite my city winning the RLB survey, I don't trust it either. They undercount New York, and omit Miami entirely.

It's an actual count, but they don't count everything.
How would they even survey that in NYC, unless they file a FOIL request with NYC Department of Buildings (which they obviously don't)? Not even on construction forums do they know the true number for NYC cranes.
P.S. there are probably 18 cranes just in south Brooklyn alone... I am guessing RLB literally has a dude walking around Midtown, counting cranes within walking distance of his hotel.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:00 AM

8,869 posts, read 6,878,641 times
They go through the crane suppliers. But I suspect they're omitting some companies.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:05 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,132 posts, read 7,575,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
No they're not, DTLA has improved no doubt, but to insinuate that it compares to Downtown DC, is disrespectful to Downtown DC. There is a gap and then there is LA at the top of the next tier. I would know where to place Seattle better if I had actually been there, but I haven't. DTLA I am familiar with. It in absolutely every way shape or form is not on the same tier as Downtown Washington DC.

I'd place Downtown DC closer to European downtown's than I would place LA's downtown to DC. It's on the same tier as but above downtown's like Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Miami etc.

I'm actaully shocked that someone as familiar with DC as you, that I assume understands where downtown DC is in 2018 would say that they are on the same tier today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.