Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state(s)?
Virginia 20 12.42%
West Virginia 17 10.56%
Kentucky 11 6.83%
Tennessee 24 14.91%
North Carolina 20 12.42%
South Carolina 27 16.77%
Georgia 9 5.59%
Florida 8 4.97%
Alabama 29 18.01%
Mississippi 8 4.97%
Arkansas 10 6.21%
Louisiana 7 4.35%
Texas 12 7.45%
Oklahoma 4 2.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 06:51 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,007 times

Advertisements

This white guy also finds parts of WV creepy. I love some parts of it but the towns are desolate and the absence of young people living there is palpable. Winter is especially dreary.

The natural beauty is, well, beautiful. The built environment is pretty horrible though (chemical plants, shuttered factories, strip malls made of corrugated metal).
Charleston is pretty. Wheeling has some really great buildings (was once one of the wealthiest cities in the country and it shows). Morgantown is nice. Martinsville is very nice too (within the DMV CSA). Other parts of the state are occupied by stubborn people who stopped trying to better their lot two generations ago. Their children and grandchildren left decades ago yet they remain, screaming at the sky because they allowed their skills to become obsolete and killed the pain with opioids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 06:55 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
This white guy also finds parts of WV creepy. I love some parts of it but the towns are desolate and the absence of young people living there is palpable. Winter is especially dreary.

The natural beauty is, well, beautiful. The built environment is pretty horrible though (chemical plants, shuttered factories, strip malls made of corrugated metal).
Charleston is pretty. Wheeling has some really great buildings (was once one of the wealthiest cities in the country and it shows). Morgantown is nice. Martinsville is very nice too (within the DMV CSA). Other parts of the state are occupied by stubborn people who stopped trying to better their lot two generations ago. Their children and grandchildren left decades ago yet they remain, screaming at the sky because they allowed their skills to become obsolete and killed the pain with opioids.
Y'all watch too many movies.

Old 12-17-2018, 02:27 AM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Y'all watch too many movies.
Do we? Or are you just being defensive? You're at home in rural America, and maybe the people fit your personality more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Firstly, for such a small state, it has 6 F500 headquarters, including THE number one company. I find that to be pretty impressive myself.

I have yet to visit, but it really does look to have a lot of natural beauty and charming small towns. Northwest Arkansas is booming and Little Rock appears to be holding its own; not many towns the size of Little Rock can lay claim to a presidential library.

But given your comments about West Virginia and now Arkansas, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you don't care for the mountains all that much.
No, not a fan of mountains, and not a fan of Arkansas. Very slow pace of life, very insular community. Very much a time warp. I can take Arkansas in doses, but after two or three days I have to get the hell away...

City-Data is a strange place. I will say this is a consistent, long held City-Data thing, this admiration for Arkansas. Its admirable lol...

Old 12-17-2018, 07:37 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
NC or SC.

NC really has it all within its borders. The western parts of the state have some of the best hiking and outdoor opportunities available in any state east of the MS. The eastern parts of the state have a lovely coastline. Unlike VA, you really have several solid metros in Charlotte, the Triangle, the Triad, and smaller metros around the state.

SC is more like NC, but with fewer mountains more beaches, and smaller scale metros.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:48 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
South Carolina:

Charleston and Greenville are great cities. Charleston is nearly an international destination that even has direct flights to London and has recently been named the best tourist destination in the world (hey. Don’t ask me how. But it’s generally ranked among the best in the world.)

Myrtle Beach is a very popular destination. There’s Hilton Head Island.

You also have Charlotte, Augusta and Savannah who are all directly on the border and their metros being in both states.

It’s a lovely state.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:41 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,533,494 times
South Carolina for me. I think the state has some great cities, but annexation laws do not permit them to grow and expand, so on paper at least, they seem insignificant compared to other cities in other states. But areas like downtown Greenville, and Columbia are nice, vibrant places to be.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:14 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Do we? Or are you just being defensive? You're at home in rural America, and maybe the people fit your personality more...

No, not a fan of mountains, and not a fan of Arkansas. Very slow pace of life, very insular community. Very much a time warp. I can take Arkansas in doses, but after two or three days I have to get the hell away...

City-Data is a strange place. I will say this is a consistent, long held City-Data thing, this admiration for Arkansas. Its admirable lol...
Actually I don't see this widespread admiration of Arkansas that you see on this forum; understand that we're talking about it now in a discussion of underrated Southern states and I don't remember the last time I've heard the state discussed in admirable terms. And I'm not even saying that I "admire" it, only that I consider it somewhat underrated.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:21 AM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Actually I don't see this widespread admiration of Arkansas that you see on this forum; understand that we're talking about it now in a discussion of underrated Southern states and I don't remember the last time I've heard the state discussed in admirable terms. And I'm not even saying that I "admire" it, only that I consider it somewhat underrated.
That's funny you can't recall that, because Arkabsas has been mentioned many times on here as an underrated state or a state people enjoy. Obviously not all remarks come in threads with a title this specific, but this is at least the third time I've heard you praise Arkansas. Definitely not foreign commentary on this board...

Old 12-17-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
NC or SC.

NC really has it all within its borders. The western parts of the state have some of the best hiking and outdoor opportunities available in any state east of the MS. The eastern parts of the state have a lovely coastline. Unlike VA, you really have several solid metros in Charlotte, the Triangle, the Triad, and smaller metros around the state.

SC is more like NC, but with fewer mountains more beaches, and smaller scale metros.
Ummmm, VA has NoVA, Hampton Roads, and Richmond, plus smaller metros like Charlottesville, Roanoke, Lynchburg, and Harrisonburg. Although Fredericksburg is part of the DC/NoVA metro area, it's definitely a hub of its region and acts like a metro in that sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
South Carolina:

Charleston and Greenville are great cities. Charleston is nearly an international destination that even has direct flights to London and has recently been named the best tourist destination in the world (hey. Don’t ask me how. But it’s generally ranked among the best in the world.)

Myrtle Beach is a very popular destination. There’s Hilton Head Island.

You also have Charlotte, Augusta and Savannah who are all directly on the border and their metros being in both states.

It’s a lovely state.
Let me put in a little plug for Columbia since you didn't mention it--which also plays into SC's "underratedness." Columbia can be somewhat easy to overlook in a state where the coast plays the leading role in terms of tourism/image, it isn't as defined geographically compared to Greenville in the foothills and the coastal cities, and its downtown isn't as compact, but it definitely has a few things working in its favor. It's home to the state's number one tourist attraction, Riverbanks Zoo which punches well above its weight considering the fact that it's a locally-owned zoo in a small/midsized Southern city. The SC Statehouse grounds lie in the center of the city and are very nice and well-maintained, functioning as an urban park of sorts. Main Street is on the upswing in a big way with impressive levels of after hours and weekend activity compared to just a few years ago. And there are several recreational opportunities available right in the heart of the city along its three rivers. Columbia needs to do a better job of tying all of its amenities together in a way that makes it more marketable as well as accelerate more recreational riverfront development, but it certainly has more than meets the eye.

I'll also throw in towns like Beaufort, Aiken, Camden, and Cheraw that are quite nice.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
That's funny you can't recall that, because Arkabsas has been mentioned many times on here as an underrated state or a state people enjoy. Obviously not all remarks come in threads with a title this specific, but this is at least the third time I've heard you praise Arkansas. Definitely not foreign commentary on this board...
I've spoken of Arkansas as underrated before but I don't recall the last time I did so and it's certainly not something I do with any regularity. I've been around these parts for a little while now so three times would barely count as occasional. I've probably spoken more about places within the state like NW Arkansas and Eureka Springs that seem underrated or don't get much coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.