Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state(s)?
Virginia 20 12.42%
West Virginia 17 10.56%
Kentucky 11 6.83%
Tennessee 24 14.91%
North Carolina 20 12.42%
South Carolina 27 16.77%
Georgia 9 5.59%
Florida 8 4.97%
Alabama 29 18.01%
Mississippi 8 4.97%
Arkansas 10 6.21%
Louisiana 7 4.35%
Texas 12 7.45%
Oklahoma 4 2.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 07:53 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I've never been to Columbia (technically driven through once but that doesn't really count) but the above doesn't sound underrated to me nor very unique but again this is just my perspective. The attributes sound like general items that many cities have. I did some street views on google maps and the city looks pretty vacant with lots of parking and empty lots but with good bones for lots of infill opportunities. The cities that seem to punch above their belt in the Carolinas like Raleigh, Asheville and Charleston seem to get the recognition they deserve.
Again, the topic here is about states and the things they collectively offer. Everyone knows about Charleston but some people may think there's nothing else in the state worth checking out which isn't true. I suppose that for people who are only interested in the biggest or most historic/compact cities, that might be true though.

But you're right that Columbia has good bones (it's one of the country's first planned cities with an extensive grid system) with opportunities for infill, and that's exactly what's been happening. Looking at Streetview along Main Street, Gervais Street between the river and Assembly Street, and in Five Points (using Harden St as a reference) gives a better representation of what's going on in the city though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 08:14 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Ummmm, VA has NoVA, Hampton Roads, and Richmond, plus smaller metros like Charlottesville, Roanoke, Lynchburg, and Harrisonburg. Although Fredericksburg is part of the DC/NoVA metro area, it's definitely a hub of its region and acts like a metro in that sense.
These smaller metros just don't have a lot to offer in terms of jobs. I visited Roanoke back last winter - very underwhelming aside from the outdoor recreation. Harrisonburg, Lynchburg, and Charlottesville are all fairly small college cities not a part of a larger metro.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:39 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I voted South Carolina.

It tends to get its due with Charleston--which is a phenomenal smaller city that offers world class dining and bars. However, both Columbia and Greenville are incredible, vibrant growing cities with major redevelopments happening in their downtowns, which are both thriving and dynamic. Columbia has a little further to go, but it's a fun city with a lot happening. The northern mountains and lakes offer tons of hiking and outdoor activities, while the coastline of SC is breathtaking with amazing beaches.

Aside from the coast, I don't think many people realize what a beautiful state it is.
Totally agree. Great insight!

Old 12-18-2018, 08:48 AM

2,448 posts, read 2,233,471 times
I think Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida and even Tennessee are all relatively well-regarded / highly-rated.

Underrated to me means states that generally don't get much of a glance. Here, that's Alabama, Mississippi, West Virginia, Arkansas, and maybe Louisiana and South Carolina. I voted for my home state of Alabama (not just because I'm a homer, but I do believe people are surprised when they visit), but I definitely get the South Carolina love.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:00 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
I think Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida and even Tennessee are all relatively well-regarded / highly-rated.

Underrated to me means states that generally don't get much of a glance. Here, that's Alabama, Mississippi, West Virginia, Arkansas, and maybe Louisiana and South Carolina. I voted for my home state of Alabama (not just because I'm a homer, but I do believe people are surprised when they visit), but I definitely get the South Carolina love.
I agree here. The first grouping of states are definitely well-regarded in terms of high tourist states, are pretty popular and are states that most people would be like "yeah, let's vacation there--tons to do and a reason to spend money and a few nights there."

Not many people I know would EVER vacation to Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, West Virginia...South Carolina, yes, and Louisiana, definitely New Orleans. But as for AL, MS, AR, and WV, they all have incredibly beautiful areas that are highly under-rated by the general population, not popular and are worth a visit.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
These smaller metros just don't have a lot to offer in terms of jobs. I visited Roanoke back last winter - very underwhelming aside from the outdoor recreation. Harrisonburg, Lynchburg, and Charlottesville are all fairly small college cities not a part of a larger metro.
Smaller metros in general don't have a lot of jobs; that's why they're small to begin with. I mentioned those smaller metros because you said unlike VA, NC has its three large metro regions with smaller cities across the rest of the state. VA is the same way but its smaller cities play different roles in the state than NC's.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:20 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
My vote goes to Alabama; it still gets an undeserved black eye because some of the worst excesses of the civil rights era took place there, but it has adapted as well, or even better, than much of the South. it has a much stronger industrial and technical base, and an understanding ofwhat that role has contributed to its heritage, than is commonly acknowledged. And Birmingham and Tuscaloosa can be two very-hip places -- if you know where, and how to look.

And my experiences as a proud alumnus of Penn State fit in here; PSU has crossed paths with the University of Alabama on a number of occasions, and in more venues than just football. Both are land-grant colleges with a large Agriculture department, and both work hard at promoting that role without being dismissed as backward "cow colleges".

Old 12-18-2018, 11:35 AM

811 posts, read 889,202 times
I am surprised Kentucky has not been mentioned more in this thread, all though, that may be because it is truly underrated to the point people don’t think about it or maybe people don’t consider it Southern.

Kentucky is put down by all the states that surround it, with the exception of West Virginia. But Kentucky offers a lot. Mostly rural with three mid-sized metro areas (Louisville, Lexington, Cincinnati/NKY) low cost of living, breathtaking beauty from Appalachian foothills and forest in the East to Bluegrass and Knobs in the Central part of State to the rolling farms and Lakes of Western Kentucky-and close proximity to many kinds of cities from southern to Midwestern.

But I do understand the negatives and why so many people look down in the state.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:52 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Again, the topic here is about states and the things they collectively offer. Everyone knows about Charleston but some people may think there's nothing else in the state worth checking out which isn't true. I suppose that for people who are only interested in the biggest or most historic/compact cities, that might be true though.

But you're right that Columbia has good bones (it's one of the country's first planned cities with an extensive grid system) with opportunities for infill, and that's exactly what's been happening. Looking at Streetview along Main Street, Gervais Street between the river and Assembly Street, and in Five Points (using Harden St as a reference) gives a better representation of what's going on in the city though.
Yes, and I was just stating that imo a city like Columbia doesn't really make SC as a state more underrated. For example I wouldn't think Roanoke really plays into Virginia's offering or Winston-Salem for NC. They all seem like regular towns/smaller cities that most states have with the standard amenities.

Old 12-18-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Yes, and I was just stating that imo a city like Columbia doesn't really make SC as a state more underrated. For example I wouldn't think Roanoke really plays into Virginia's offering or Winston-Salem for NC. They all seem like regular towns/smaller cities that most states have with the standard amenities.
Yeah we see things differently. I'm not as familiar with Roanoke, but if NC was generally regarded as underrated, I would most certainly mention Winston-Salem and what it offers.

I think this is one of those instances where lists/streetviews cannot substitute for in-person visits and knowing where to go and what to look for when you get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.