Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 10:22 AM

11,061 posts, read 12,456,973 times

Advertisements

Everyone is both extraverted and introverted to a degree. People that tend to heavily identify with being introverted typically are using that as a smokescreen to hide or justify their anti-social/misanthropic nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 10:32 AM

225 posts, read 211,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
When psychologists discuss introversion/extroversion, they mean something a little different from whether someone is shy or not. Basically, it's about whether you prefer to spend time alone or with other people. Obviously if you're from a rural Midwestern area you're not going to speak to many strangers over the course of the day, but you're less likely to be the kind of person who just prefers to keep to themselves reading a book or something versus going out to a social event.
I know what extroversion means and I know what the Upper Midwest is like because it's where I live. People here keep to themselves first and foremost, and then their small, tight-knit group of friends or family. A lot of people in the rural areas love not having tons of people around.

Quote:
I presume that the large number of transplants from the Northeast has made Virginia, and to a lesser extent North Carolina, more introverted than the rest of the south. By my standards both regions of the country seem very outgoing though, insofar as complete strangers come up to you and initiate conversation. It's never stopped seeming weird to me.
This logic doesn't work because, for example, Florida has more Northeastern transplants than North Carolina does yet it's showing as dark blue/extroverted.

Not trying to argue with you because it's not your map but let's be honest, it just looks off.

Last edited by LeTraveler; 01-28-2019 at 10:43 AM..

Old 01-28-2019, 10:59 AM

5,485 posts, read 3,929,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
I know what extroversion means and I know what the Upper Midwest is like because it's where I live. People here keep to themselves first and foremost, and then their small, tight-knit group of friends or family. A lot of people in the rural areas love not having tons of people around.

This logic doesn't work because, for example, Florida has more Northeastern transplants than North Carolina does yet it's showing as dark blue/extroverted.

Not trying to argue with you because it's not your map but let's be honest, it just looks off.
Yeah, I'm somewhat skeptical, myself. Would have to hear more about the methodology used, which might be available in conjunction with the second map, given the 'roll over for more information'. Both maps are pretty similar, however, which doesn't suggest utter randomness in regards to the thinking behind them. Intuitively I tend to agree with your assessments, though....

Old 01-28-2019, 12:03 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Stay away from small towns since everybody's all up your business there.

Either pick:
1. An ultra-big city (since most ppl don't try or care to talk to you).

Or

2. The complete middle of knowhere since obviously nobody will be around.

I agree that it's pretty easy to avoid interaction with people in a big city on a day to day basis. You'll see more people for sure. But you'll have little to nothing to do with them if you don't care to -- sometimes not even as much as saying "Good morning". And most big city folk will be too busy with their own lives to care much, except maybe to grumble to themselves that you're rude. May sound contradictory, but if you're shy you might do best in the dense high-rise neighborhoods of NYC, Chicago, DC, San Francisco, Boston, etc.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:25 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,494,151 times
For a shy person who wants to make friends, don't live somewhere where the people are shy. Live somewhere where there are more extroverts so you don't feel shy. The PNW has a ton of introverts and shy people. California is the opposite. There are tons of extroverted people such as extroverted skateboarders there. I am shy and whenever I visit my cousin's friends in California, they are so extroverted that I never feel shy around them.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:59 PM

591 posts, read 821,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
For a shy person who wants to make friends, don't live somewhere where the people are shy. Live somewhere where there are more extroverts so you don't feel shy. The PNW has a ton of introverts and shy people. California is the opposite. There are tons of extroverted people such as extroverted skateboarders there. I am shy and whenever I visit my cousin's friends in California, they are so extroverted that I never feel shy around them.
So you met some skateboarders that were outgoing and now the entire state of California is considered extroverted?

Have you lived in the PNW? I have. It's not any more or less introverted than other parts of the country.

Every single person is different and it has very little to do with where you live.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:40 PM

5,485 posts, read 3,929,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
So you met some skateboarders that were outgoing and now the entire state of California is considered extroverted?

Have you lived in the PNW? I have. It's not any more or less introverted than other parts of the country.

Every single person is different and it has very little to do with where you live.
If you buy into the maps that eschaton posted on page two of this thread, you'll see there's something to the description of the PNW as being 'full of shy people'...or at least more than average.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:56 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,548,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I agree that it's pretty easy to avoid interaction with people in a big city on a day to day basis. You'll see more people for sure. But you'll have little to nothing to do with them if you don't care to -- sometimes not even as much as saying "Good morning". And most big city folk will be too busy with their own lives to care much, except maybe to grumble to themselves that you're rude. May sound contradictory, but if you're shy you might do best in the dense high-rise neighborhoods of NYC, Chicago, DC, San Francisco, Boston, etc.
Yes, this has been my experience. I consider myself shy, and I feel far more comfortable in a big city. You can go about your business with nobody caring whether you're shy or outgoing.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:15 PM

101 posts, read 93,997 times
Are Quebecois more shy or outgoing?

Old 01-28-2019, 08:27 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
Quote:

States in lightest gray are the least outgoing.
I think this is about right. However, most States have a nice combination of shy and outgoing...such is life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.