Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 01:05 PM

4,202 posts, read 2,914,730 times

Advertisements

Spent the long weekend at the Outer Banks. The water and an ocean breeze makes everything better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 01:32 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,821,456 times
Saw some Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Kentucky plates visiting beaches along Lake Michigan in Wisconsin this past week.
Got up to 70 today. The temperature difference looks to be a good 20-30 cooler here than down in some of those places right now.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:46 AM

702 posts, read 2,732,545 times
We live in Dallas and we go up to northern New Mexico (Santa Fe or Taos) every summer. We also love Maine, but travel all the way up there is hard for us right now with two small children.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:57 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,672,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Saw some Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Kentucky plates visiting beaches along Lake Michigan in Wisconsin this past week.
Got up to 70 today. The temperature difference looks to be a good 20-30 cooler here than down in some of those places right now.
It was 80-90 degrees in Holland, Michigan the last week of June while I was there.

Old 07-12-2022, 03:50 AM

6,505 posts, read 4,125,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
A question for all southerners (and this is not meant to be snarky, I'm genuinely asking) where do you go in the heat of summer to escape? Us northerners frequently travel to warmer climates for a nice break during the winter. I enjoy a short getaway to FL or HI but I wouldn't want to move permanently.

Do southerners travel for a weather break? Skiing perhaps?
As far as I know Southerners generally do not travel to escape the weather. Hot weather in general is more humanity’s element than extremely cold temperatures obviously at a certain temperature it’s literally impossible to function but generally 100 degrees will never shut down a city like 32 degrees can (In the South at least 32 degrees has definitely shut down a city somewhat).

Old 07-12-2022, 07:54 AM

26,492 posts, read 46,858,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
As far as I know Southerners generally do not travel to escape the weather. Hot weather in general is more humanity’s element than extremely cold temperatures obviously at a certain temperature it’s literally impossible to function but generally 100 degrees will never shut down a city like 32 degrees can (In the South at least 32 degrees has definitely shut down a city somewhat).
100 degrees with humidity is far more intolerable than 32 degrees.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:11 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,821,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yeah people don’t die from exposure to 32 like they would 100 nor have I seen a town shut down for 32, unless we’re talking about an ice storm? It’s just not a crippling temperature.
0 would have been a better comparison.
Preparation and adaptation is key for anything out of a certain comfort zone.

Old 07-12-2022, 09:14 AM

7 posts, read 5,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I'm beginning to feel this way. I was in Mexico and it was 85 and humid.

Old 09-09-2022, 08:57 AM

509 posts, read 438,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I do not think you will find much temperature relief in Grand Rapids in August.
Just wanted to follow-up on this as I have just returned from Michigan yesterday. Was completely floored how beautiful it is up there and the weather was amazing and a huge reprieve of the mid-90s and high humidity of Virginia just the week before. Highest it ever got in GR was 83 degrees at the early part of my trip there and low humidity. Most days were in the mid-70s towards the middle and end of my trip. My trip up to the UP was the best weather-wise with temps reaching 69 as a high in Mackinac Island Labor Day weekend and it was sunny with low humidity and a nice breeze. Camping up near Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore was gorgeous clear skies and temps in the mid-60s. My last day I spent on the beach at Grand Haven and it got up to about 73 as a high and low humidity. Went swimming in Lake Michigan and the water wasn't too cold and lovely like swimming in a pool. I saw quite a few Florida license plates and one Georgia license plate on the way up to the UP so I suppose there are others from the South with the same idea. Will definitely return.

Old 09-09-2022, 11:03 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,133,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcook1 View Post
Just wanted to follow-up on this as I have just returned from Michigan yesterday. Was completely floored how beautiful it is up there and the weather was amazing and a huge reprieve of the mid-90s and high humidity of Virginia just the week before. Highest it ever got in GR was 83 degrees at the early part of my trip there and low humidity. Most days were in the mid-70s towards the middle and end of my trip. My trip up to the UP was the best weather-wise with temps reaching 69 as a high in Mackinac Island Labor Day weekend and it was sunny with low humidity and a nice breeze. Camping up near Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore was gorgeous clear skies and temps in the mid-60s. My last day I spent on the beach at Grand Haven and it got up to about 73 as a high and low humidity. Went swimming in Lake Michigan and the water wasn't too cold and lovely like swimming in a pool. I saw quite a few Florida license plates and one Georgia license plate on the way up to the UP so I suppose there are others from the South with the same idea. Will definitely return.
Yeah weather patterns have been comparatively mild over the past couple weeks here in Louisville. I would imagine they are cooler than normal up in Michigan as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.