Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2022, 01:54 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,139,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The entire gulf coast and most of the south is pretty unbearable to alot of people. I've gotten used to Colorado summer and I can't handle the summers in the south like I used to. Nighttime in Louisiana can be above 90 degrees. Which I'm sure is true for the whole gulf coast and a bit north.
yeah it's really the whole gulf coast, but once the spanish moss goes away it's not quite as sticky. Not saying it doesn't get uncomfortable, it's just not brutal like the cold can be, like you're not gonna die if you hang outside too long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post

Past midnight is usually when the heat of the day really starts to wear off. If you live in a city, it takes a while for all that concrete and asphalt to cool off. So basically, very early in the morning between 2-7 is the best time for temps.
There were plenty of times in Arkansas I would have donated my left leg to escape to somewhere cool in the summer. Walking out into a wall of heat all the time gets very exhausting both physically and mentally.

Which brings me to some thoughts as to why you might see fewer southerners in the UP during summer than you would northerners in Florida in winter...
True, though it's the direct sunlight that takes it from muggy to burning. I really think the difference is that hot spells don't last 2 months like cold spells can up north, it's the length of the nastiness that's the big difference. And water does always cool you down. There's no jump in the lake equivalent for cold weather.

Though I will admit it's just now that the south and north are catching up money wise. Lots of southerners are now going up north or west and that didn't happen as much years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I disagree... It was 95 degrees in Charlotte when I was there last week. Hotter than anywhere in Florida.
In todays day and age though if you just have to sit inside for 3 days and then the system passes, it's not that big of a deal. If it's like Phoenix where it's sit inside for 3 weeks, that's where it gets pretty annoying.

I say all this as a person who would like weather colder than Atlanta offers, I miss the snow. But most people, especially people from China or India or Central America, have much higher temperature ideals than Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 05:13 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
yeah it's really the whole gulf coast, but once the spanish moss goes away it's not quite as sticky. Not saying it doesn't get uncomfortable, it's just not brutal like the cold can be, like you're not gonna die if you hang outside too long.
My time in Hollandale, MS was one of the most miserable times as far as weather goes. You can definitely die in southern summers and heat strokes aren't uncommon in many fields.

Old 05-23-2022, 07:36 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Having to suffer through 100+ days where the temperature stays below freezing really dilutes the appeal of comfortable summer highs in the 70s. Especially when there are places that have cool summers but much more moderate year round temperatures.
Colder weather doesn't bother me in the least. I'm outside for more than half the day at 30F (semi-typical winter temperature for a number of areas), especially if there is little wind. I've spent large amounts of time outside on winter trips Up North with air temperatures of -20 to -30F with ease. I can only do a few hours at a time (extensive outdoor yard work) above 80F. The majority of the climates in the US east of the Rockies are the unfortunate hot/humid/brutal sun angle variety as the US is at a more southerly latitude compared to most of Europe and Canada. Luckily, in my yard I have hundreds of trees that keep temperatures from hardly ever getting much above 90F (double the elevation of the Ohio River Valley).

Last edited by GraniteStater; 05-23-2022 at 07:46 PM..

Old 05-23-2022, 10:48 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,853,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Colder weather doesn't bother me in the least. I'm outside for more than half the day at 30F (semi-typical winter temperature for a number of areas), especially if there is little wind. I've spent large amounts of time outside on winter trips Up North with air temperatures of -20 to -30F with ease

I’m slaughtering a tauntaun at that temperature to live in their heat. Good for you though.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:19 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Did you twirl your mustache there Snidely Whiplash? Martha’s Vineyard is expensive, and wouldn’t even be feasible for the average Mass resident. But yes, for most southerners, they’d rather go to closer beaches with warmer waters. Cape May wouldn’t even be in the conversation. Kiawah and Figure 8 are big draws, and for the very fortunate, they’d have a house somewhere and save the rental fee.
You echoed what I said.

Old 05-24-2022, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
You echoed what I said.
I was mostly reacting to your framing of the situation. You took something real (Martha's Vineyard is an expensive Massachusetts resort island) and made it something weird about coastal elite and flyover states. I almost thought you were about to mention Mayberry there. Northern beaches just don't factor in for most people here, regardless of cost. Not Cape Cod, not the Vineyard, not Cape May. The climate is just not a major draw.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:44 AM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
I was mostly reacting to your framing of the situation. You took something real (Martha's Vineyard is an expensive Massachusetts resort island) and made it something weird about coastal elite and flyover states. I almost thought you were about to mention Mayberry there. Northern beaches just don't factor in for most people here, regardless of cost. Not Cape Cod, not the Vineyard, not Cape May. The climate is just not a major draw.
In the Midwest, the Northwoods is a huge draw for the climate, scenery, and lakes. There is a large percentage of the population in Chicagoland, Milwaukee, Detroit, Twin Cities, that own a cabin or cottage "Up North." This does not apply to most cities well to the south of I-80, as they often tend to go south on vacation. The Corn Belt sort of acts like a buffer in between the two areas oddly enough.

Old 05-24-2022, 12:54 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
Quote:
Outside a few families in the coastal elite group, most of those places aren’t practical to even visit.

I make well into the six figure range now and I am a fraction of the income, still, at even dreaming about a weekend in MV. And at that point, it become not worth it. I rather spend my time in a cooler place.

Old 05-24-2022, 04:07 PM

I’m not sure what you are on about. There is nothing practical about a Washington state-to-Martha’s Vineyard trip. And resort hotels can start at $600 down here too (that might get you a small room away from the ocean on a November Wednesday at the Sanctuary on Kiawah for instance). This isn’t the 1920s and we aren’t all dirt farmers. The northern beaches just don’t have the same allure regardless of cost.

By and large we aren’t looking for cooler spots to vacation in the summer unless you are a mountain person. That is a thing here in NC at least, do you vacation in the mountains or at the beach. In the Triangle it’s probably close to 3-1 in favor of the beach. For trips other than the beach/mountains, it’s usually to some place exciting regardless of the climate. Caribbean, road trips out west, visiting family, Europe, etc. There is no Southern equivalent to snowbirds who fly south for the winter.

Old 05-26-2022, 06:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
I live in NE Texas and it's still hot here in September and by then I am usually sick of the heat (not so bad before then in my opinion, and I HATE cold weather with a passion, more than I hate hot weather, so there's that). Anyway, I generally either go to the Smoky Mountains or even as far as Maine in September for a little break. Otherwise, I don't much care one way or the other about the heat in June, July or August. I mean, it's hot. It's summertime. So be it. But September? I want a little break.

I went to coastal southern Virginia last June and it was terrific in my opinion. I had a blast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.