Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 04:19 AM

6,563 posts, read 12,061,093 times

Advertisements

Minnesota. Even the accent is similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 08:51 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,864,201 times
I bet North Dakota is not too dissimilar from Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:54 AM

776 posts, read 956,698 times
Maine/New Brunswick. Especially the northern counties.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:35 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Minnesota. Even the accent is similar.
There have been a few threads on accents.

Someone from Minnesota sounds nothing like me.

It's an American version of what they think Canadians sound like.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:32 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,094,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
There have been a few threads on accents.

Someone from Minnesota sounds nothing like me.

It's an American version of what they think Canadians sound like.
100% agreed. Americans by and large don't really know what Canadians sound like at all. To my Minnesotan ears, people in Western Canada (Manitoba all the way west to British Columbia) sound like Californians with just a few pronunciation differences on some key words.

This just goes to show why so many Canadian actors/musicians/comedians/media personalities are so successful in the US. A lot of the time, no one even realizes they're Canadian.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:56 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,682,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
I'd go with Vermont, Maine, or New Hampshire.

Rural Minnesota is a lot more conservative, rednecky, 'MURICA than any of those states. It also has zero French influence.
Minnesota has major French influence, are you crazy?

Lac qui Parle
Duluth
Le Sueur
Mille Lacs
Vermillion
Marquette
La Croix
Belle Plaine
Grand Portage
Nicollet County

Not sure what else to say..

Old 04-11-2019, 10:17 PM

I tried to assert that a few pages back, to no response.

Not to mention, many of the major streets in Minneapolis are named after French explorers and missionaries (Hennepin, La Salle, Marquette, Nicollet, Bottineau, etc.)

Old 04-12-2019, 03:27 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,410,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Minnesota has major French influence, are you crazy?

Lac qui Parle
Duluth
Le Sueur
Mille Lacs
Vermillion
Marquette
La Croix
Belle Plaine
Grand Portage
Nicollet County

Not sure what else to say..
Place names across the Midwest reflect French explorers, and this isn’t at all unique to Minnesota: see e.g., city and town names across Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, even parts of Indiana and Ohio. None of these places retain a French culture in modern times even remotely resembling what you see in Canada, or even the parts of the U.S. such as Louisiana, or northern Vermont/northern Maine. They’re just places named after French explorers and famous French individuals.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:31 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
100% agreed. Americans by and large don't really know what Canadians sound like at all. To my Minnesotan ears, people in Western Canada (Manitoba all the way west to British Columbia) sound like Californians with just a few pronunciation differences on some key words.

This just goes to show why so many Canadian actors/musicians/comedians/media personalities are so successful in the US. A lot of the time, no one even realizes they're Canadian.
They are trained to rid themselves of any Canadian accent they may have, so they can find more work. A friend who went to the Academy of Dramatic Arts in Pasadena went through that. I remember him practising to elongate his vowels, etc.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
They are trained to rid themselves of any Canadian accent they may have, so they can find more work. A friend who went to the Academy of Dramatic Arts in Pasadena went through that. I remember him practising to elongate his vowels, etc.
There is no way every Canadian coming down to do film/television work in the States is getting speech training. That's preposterous. A lot of Canadians just simply don't have much of a discernible accent, especially among younger people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.