Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 02:33 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,098 times

Advertisements

I think Washington and Minnesota. Minnesota, more Ontario, and Washington, parts of British Columbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2020, 03:04 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I think Washington and Minnesota. Minnesota, more Ontario, and Washington, parts of British Columbia.
I always associate Ontario much more with Upstate NY and Michigan due to their proximity to Ontario's main city, Toronto. But I guess Minnesota could be associated too with Western Ontario.

Old 11-10-2020, 03:13 PM

1,260 posts, read 944,170 times
Minnesota for sure. I haven't been to Washington, Maine or Vermont, but Minnesota, specifically Minneapolis feels like Canada.

Old 11-10-2020, 07:01 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Are you saying that "places named after French explorers and famous French individuals" =/= "French influence"?

If so, I respectfully disagree.
It just hit me:

Missouri has a slew of places, mainly in the east and southeast, that have French names, starting with the state's largest city, St. Louis, named for Louis IX of France.

The city flag has a fleur-de-lis on it to reflect the fact that it was founded by the French, but no one would confuse it for New Orleans, even: the ethnic group that left the biggest mark on the city are the Germans who settled all over eastern Missouri in the 19th century. They're the reason why St. Louis is a major beer brewing center, something the French are not particularly known for (even though they do drink it).

So in terms of influence, the Germans have some and the French none, the name notwithstanding.

I'd say the same about Cape Girardeau, Ste. Genevieve, Portage des Sioux or Versailles (the way it's pronounced in Missouri would cause the French to tear out their hair).

Old 11-10-2020, 07:49 PM

12,158 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Vermont
Minnesota
Washington
Michigan
Maine
North Dakota
Montana
New York
Idaho

Old 11-10-2020, 10:43 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
Perhaps a bit off topic but how do you feel about no border crossings for the past 8 months? How has this effected us/canada relations and business? Will the reopening miraculously get things back to normal or will it take some time? My vote is the latter.

But my vote would probably be Maine or Vermont, perhaps Alaska. But the US would never give up Alaska. It was our country’s best real estate buys of all time.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 11-10-2020 at 10:54 PM..

Old 11-10-2020, 10:51 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,482,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Perhaps a bit off topic but how do you feel about no border crossings for the past 8 months? How has this effected us/canada relations and business? Will the reopening miraculously get things back to normal or will it take some time? My vote is the latter.
Living close to the border I enjoy fewer cars in the north part of my county. But, we also have acquaintances that we met through our business that we miss. My city depends somewhat on retail sales from Canadians which has declined.

I, too, believe it is not over yet. We are seeing increasing cases in the US so it may take awhile to open borders so we all remain safe.

Old 11-11-2020, 12:58 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
I always associate Ontario much more with Upstate NY and Michigan due to their proximity to Ontario's main city, Toronto. But I guess Minnesota could be associated too with Western Ontario.
The Iron Range probably feels closer ties to Western Ontario due to the mining background, but despite sharing a shorter border with Manitoba, I'd say Manitoba has the closer ties with Minnesota for most of the state. I thing a lot of folks from Winnipeg would come down for Vikings games, as I would see tons of Manitoba plates downtown on home game weekends, but you see Manitoba plates around town frequently in the Twin Cities. Seeing a Ontario plate was pretty rare in Minnesota.

Old 11-11-2020, 07:27 AM

1,260 posts, read 944,170 times
People saying Washington, I have to disagree. To me The PNW just feels like it's own thing, not Canadian nor American. To me Washington doesn't feel particularly American nor Canadian, just as BC doesn't feel Canadian or American to me. They feel very PNW.

Oregon, Washington, BC, Alaska and the very far north reaches of California could be their own country as they seem to have this unified culture that isn't fully American or Canadian.

Old 11-11-2020, 12:08 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
People saying Washington, I have to disagree. To me The PNW just feels like it's own thing, not Canadian nor American. To me Washington doesn't feel particularly American nor Canadian, just as BC doesn't feel Canadian or American to me. They feel very PNW.

Oregon, Washington, BC, Alaska and the very far north reaches of California could be their own country as they seem to have this unified culture that isn't fully American or Canadian.
That can be said about many parts in both countries.

Both are a sum of their parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.