Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2022, 01:36 PM

376 posts, read 210,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
If this was a poll Philadelphia would be winning by a landslide. Hell, there's people in Delco and Bucks that refuse to visit the Sports Complex out of fear of being shot or carjacked. Thank you channel 3,10, 29 and the Inquirer for the constant fearmongering.

Is it really fair to place blame on the local media for reporting maybe 1% of the current local events like they do for every city? I mean it's a good chance that Philadelphia the city averages crime rates exponentially higher than Bucks or Delco county areas, so it's a fair shake that people from those suburbs would be wary.
I know in Socal crime rates vary throughout the region and Los Angeles is not really very much ahead in terms of crime compared to various suburbs.
So it makes sense if alot of the PA suburbanites are afraid of the main city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2022, 02:44 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,121,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dw572 View Post
Is it really fair to place blame on the local media for reporting maybe 1% of the current local events like they do for every city? I mean it's a good chance that Philadelphia the city averages crime rates exponentially higher than Bucks or Delco county areas, so it's a fair shake that people from those suburbs would be wary.
I know in Socal crime rates vary throughout the region and Los Angeles is not really very much ahead in terms of crime compared to various suburbs.
So it makes sense if alot of the PA suburbanites are afraid of the main city.
It’s irrational fear. People won’t step foot in the sports complexes or center city out of fear of being shot by some crazy gunmen. 90% of homicides victims are people that have killed themselves or other gang members, or drug dealers, not Joe and Susan from Warrington visiting Love Park

It would be one thing if those people were visiting relatives in Kensington or Strawberry Mansion. OP specified “Core area” which is as safe as ever. Not the outer flung neighborhoods where there more likely to run into crime.

Old 12-25-2022, 08:58 PM

2,657 posts, read 2,101,372 times
Same for some small cities in Mississippi. People in the county skiddish about going into town.

Old 12-25-2022, 09:11 PM

676 posts, read 494,910 times
Atlanta. Maybe Charlotte.

Old 12-25-2022, 11:18 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BLT View Post
Atlanta. Maybe Charlotte.
I don't see it in Charlotte. That's partially because you can't tell where the city ends, and the suburbs begin. It's also a pretty safe city.

Old 12-26-2022, 01:01 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,820,228 times
Fascinating reading the 2019 comments to this thread. Seemed so optimistic back then. Between COVID, then the George Floyd protests, then the opioid/mentally ill homeless crisis, it definitely seems like the suburban/city proper divide is back in full vengeance.

New York City proper seems to be a huge demarcation line judging by the New York Governor’s race (places like Nassau and Suffolk went massively red), Philadelphia’s homicide rate has blunted that city’s positive demographic trends (and I see more suburbanites now looking to places like King of Prussia for their entertainment) and same in DC metro area. National Mall doesn’t seem to have much stigma, but neighborhoods that were buzzing pre-COVID now have a vibe of sketch that’s putting off lots of suburbanites.

Places like Columbia Heights, Adams Morgan, and Union Station/Atlas District fit this profile of buzzing pre-COVID but suburbanites aren’t keen on them anymore. It doesn’t help in DC that Northern Virginia is becoming its own fortress, between Reston Town Center, Tysons, Crystal City/National Landing and the Orange Line Corridor, you don’t need to enter DC proper to have a good time.

Old 12-26-2022, 08:56 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
I wouldn't put Boston in this camp. People are comfortable in the city for sure.

But it's undeniable there is more of that now than in 2019. Mostly of the Downtown Crossing in particular.

Juvenile hijinks in downtown Boston getting worse

Residents voice safety concerns after series of crimes near MBTA stations

Downtown Crossing site of swelling teenage violence

Boston lures workers back downtown with DJs, food trucks and — free Dunks
"We're just trying to make sure people understand downtown Boston is clean, safe and welcoming," said George Comeau

People are also concerned about spiked drinks in Boston's nightlife. I regularly see people on a competitor site posting about "I think I was drugged/my friend was drugged"

Boston Seeing Increased Reports of Drugged Drinks
The spiking of drinks has become a citywide problem. Boston police are aware of 73 reports of drink spiking throughout 2022. (as of October)

Again-I wouldn't say this is in general but it's increased since 2019- as it has in all cities. The removal of school police (statewide) in 2018, and a more than 5x increase in the rate of juvenile gun arrests since 2018 have also resulted in a slowly declining # of white students and increase in low-income students in public schools after 5 years of increases that began in 2013. This stuff wasn't evident in 2019.

Comment on an article I read the day before Xmas:
capecodeguy
12/24/22 - 1:00PM
Just as inner city kids need some type of discipline, just like white folks in rural America, now you have chains leaving the inner cities because of crime that is not prosecuted.

What will our cities look like in a few years. Even Boston can become a shell of hospitals, hi rise buildings and private colleges all in their bubble.Middle class of all races with kids are leaving the cities.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 12-26-2022 at 09:08 AM..

Old 12-26-2022, 08:58 AM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
New York City is a big one from Republicans and Conservatives in the Metro Area lol

"Its so dangerous now!"
"Its not like it was...."
"You will get MUGGED!"
"Your gonna get shot..."

Old 12-26-2022, 09:27 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I wouldn't put Boston in this camp. People are comfortable in the city for sure.

But it's undeniable there is more of that now than in 2019. Mostly of the Downtown Crossing in particular.

Juvenile hijinks in downtown Boston getting worse

Residents voice safety concerns after series of crimes near MBTA stations

Downtown Crossing site of swelling teenage violence

Boston lures workers back downtown with DJs, food trucks and — free Dunks
"We're just trying to make sure people understand downtown Boston is clean, safe and welcoming," said George Comeau

People are also concerned about spiked drinks in Boston's nightlife. I regularly see people on a competitor site posting about "I think I was drugged/my friend was drugged"

Boston Seeing Increased Reports of Drugged Drinks
The spiking of drinks has become a citywide problem. Boston police are aware of 73 reports of drink spiking throughout 2022. (as of October)

Again-I wouldn't say this is in general but it's increased since 2019- as it has in all cities. The removal of school police (statewide) in 2018, and a more than 5x increase in the rate of juvenile gun arrests since 2018 have also resulted in a slowly declining # of white students and increase in low-income students in public schools after 5 years of increases that began in 2013. This stuff wasn't evident in 2019.

Comment on an article I read the day before Xmas:
capecodeguy
12/24/22 - 1:00PM
Just as inner city kids need some type of discipline, just like white folks in rural America, now you have chains leaving the inner cities because of crime that is not prosecuted.

What will our cities look like in a few years. Even Boston can become a shell of hospitals, hi rise buildings and private colleges all in their bubble.Middle class of all races with kids are leaving the cities.
I think unfortunately work from Home has caused a good bit of mistrust in general of anything beyond your home town (or neighborhood if in a big city). No matter what the stats say. NYC is a prime example as “crime” has become a huge issue to suburbanites despite no real change since 2019 to 2022. And I think it’s cause middle aged professionals don’t really have the experience of going into Manhattan every day to outweigh whatever is on the evening news. Even if some general hooliganism has increased I don’t think it would have the cultural salience if people had not had their daily routines cleaved from them.

Of course there is the fact that in most cities crime has spiked since 2019 but even in cities it hasn’t (like St Louis, Boston, New York) their reputations seem to have taken a hit.

Old 12-26-2022, 09:48 AM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I think unfortunately work from Home has caused a good bit of mistrust in general of anything beyond your home town (or neighborhood if in a big city). No matter what the stats say. NYC is a prime example as “crime” has become a huge issue to suburbanites despite no real change since 2019 to 2022. And I think it’s cause middle aged professionals don’t really have the experience of going into Manhattan every day to outweigh whatever is on the evening news. Even if some general hooliganism has increased I don’t think it would have the cultural salience if people had not had their daily routines cleaved from them.
There is nothing wrong with people prioritizing their home communities over a nearby big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.