Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 09:56 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
New York City is a big one from Republicans and Conservatives in the Metro Area lol

"Its so dangerous now!"
"Its not like it was...."
"You will get MUGGED!"
"Your gonna get shot..."
NYC been crowded almost everywhere when they get bored of their suburbs they heading to the city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2022, 09:58 AM

16,092 posts, read 10,757,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post

Of course there is the fact that in most cities crime has spiked since 2019 but even in cities it hasn’t (like St Louis, Boston, New York) their reputations seem to have taken a hit.
Years ago, when I was about 12, I would take the bus from the suburbs into St. Louis on my own and come back without worrying. We had a weekend business selling eggs door-to-door in an all-black neighborhood of about five blocks and never had any trouble. I was about 14 then. Fifty years later I would not let a kid do those things. I spent a week in St. Louis in April and stayed in the city near Washington U. just north of Forest Park. it was nearly idyllic for city living -- very walkable and the neighbors working in their yard would chat and ask us where we were from. It was very pleasant. We drove all over the city avoiding the freeways with the suburbanites clogging the lanes as the "safe" route in and out.

And the rural folks won't dare to venture even into the suburbs as it is far too risky. Their neighbor might be a meth cooker but going to the city is way too dangerous.

Old 12-26-2022, 10:06 AM

12,843 posts, read 9,578,282 times
Everywhere

Old 12-26-2022, 10:10 AM

14,023 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
There is nothing wrong with people prioritizing their home communities over a nearby big city.
No there is nothing wrong with working from home, or eating at a local place or whatever, but a side effect if people became more ignorant of what is right outside their door. Like there were suburbanite across the country as late as the fall of ‘21 that seemed convinced Downtown (or whatever area was the core of BLM protests) was destroyed by rioters. When outside of Minneapolis and perhaps LA there wasn’t that much damage done in most cities. People didn’t know that because in many cases suburbanites just hadn’t been to the city for a year and a half.

Old 12-26-2022, 10:13 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No there is nothing wrong with working from home, or eating at a local place or whatever, but a side effect if people became more ignorant of what is right outside their door. Like there were suburbanite across the country as late as the fall of ‘21 that seemed convinced Downtown (or whatever area was the core of BLM protests) was destroyed by rioters. When outside of Minneapolis and perhaps LA there wasn’t that much damage done in most cities. People didn’t know that because in many cases suburbanites just hadn’t been to the city for a year and a half.
bingo.

Old 12-26-2022, 10:47 AM

809 posts, read 470,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
NYC been crowded almost everywhere when they get bored of their suburbs they heading to the city
THIS - They'll still hit up Knicks, Rangers, Yankees/Mets, or a Broadway show. Weekend ridership on the commuter lines says it all (NJ Transit, Metro-North, LIRR). They still love the City despite the crime news, even when they move to SC or FL.

Last edited by norcal2k19; 12-26-2022 at 11:37 AM..

Old 12-26-2022, 11:11 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
THIS - They'll still hit up Knicks, Rangers, or a Broadway show. Weekend ridership on the commuter lines says it all (NJ Transit, Metro-North, LIRR). They still love the City despite the crime news, even when they move to SC or FL.
None of my older coworkers who think of it as a no mans land go to NYC unfortunately. The one self proclaimed Freedom Fighter calls it "russian roulette". Sad. But they out there

Even a few older republicans outside boston (a city conservatives tend to like..) feel the same way.

Strange. But. Yeah.

Old 12-26-2022, 07:30 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Baltimore, and I'm going to put myself into the category of suburbanites who are afraid of the core city. I moved to the Baltimore metro in 1994 and I used to love it here. I'd go into the city quite often, and completely apart from the fact that I've been working downtown this entire time, from then until now. But things took a downhill turn after the Freddie Gray riots of 2015 and they got a lot worse after COVID. I work from home almost exclusively now, and I dread going into the city on those very few occasions when I have to. I absolutely do not feel safe there.

Old 12-26-2022, 08:35 PM

3,541 posts, read 2,332,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Baltimore, and I'm going to put myself into the category of suburbanites who are afraid of the core city. I moved to the Baltimore metro in 1994 and I used to love it here. I'd go into the city quite often, and completely apart from the fact that I've been working downtown this entire time, from then until now. But things took a downhill turn after the Freddie Gray riots of 2015 and they got a lot worse after COVID. I work from home almost exclusively now, and I dread going into the city on those very few occasions when I have to. I absolutely do not feel safe there.
What's there to dread? People? Traffic? Noise? It comes with the territory of a big city.

How much of that mindset is based in actual fact vs. irrational fear? Baltimore had 321 homicides in 1994 (353 in '93) and homicide rate of 43.4/100k. Baltimore has 322 homicides as of Dec 26th. Nothing changed about it's violence other than social media can exploit it for more clicks, ratings & views.

Feeling unsafe picking up groceries from the corner store in Rosemont, West Baltimore or walking down a dark ally in Park Heights? Yep. Got me there.

Feeling unsafe getting Crab Cakes in Fells Point on a Saturday evening or going to a Ravens game? Can't rationalize that.

Last edited by Joakim3; 12-26-2022 at 09:27 PM..

Old 12-26-2022, 10:19 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
What's there to dread? People? Traffic? Noise? It comes with the territory of a big city.

How much of that mindset is based in actual fact vs. irrational fear? Baltimore had 321 homicides in 1994 (353 in '93) and homicide rate of 43.4/100k. Baltimore has 322 homicides as of Dec 26th. Nothing changed about it's violence other than social media can exploit it for more clicks, ratings & views.

Feeling unsafe picking up groceries from the corner store in Rosemont, West Baltimore or walking down a dark ally in Park Heights? Yep. Got me there.

Feeling unsafe getting Crab Cakes in Fells Point on a Saturday evening or going to a Ravens game? Can't rationalize that.
I like how you ignore other crimes besides murder. Even in 1993 coming off the end of the crack era, the vast majority of violent crime was restricted to certain hoods and gangs were more organized with a set of standards. They weren't wilding out over by the Inner Harbor. The squeegee boys/panhandling lowlives weren't as angry as today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.