Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 01:17 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post

Most Latinos in the US are 1st to 2nd generation as well. So I don't think that's it.
Yes but it's a very different type of immigration. I know a lot of young Indians recently arrived from India, most of the time they are very wealthy, especially in India. They went to good universities and they grew up in great environments. I also know a few Latinos like that, they are doing just as well.

The bulk of the Latino immigration though is a very different type. Is people leaving their country because they are poor there. I think this is a big part of the divide. You come here with no money you quickly end up in the ghetto..

btw Latinos are doing noticeably better than Africanamerican financially.

PS educated people of all races put a lot of emphasis on education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 01:25 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,596,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Yes but it's a very different type of immigration. I know a lot of young Indians recently arrived from India, most of the time they are very wealthy, especially in India. They went to good universities and they grew up in great environments. I also know a few Latinos like that, they are doing just as well.

The bulk of the Latino immigration though is a very different type. Is people leaving their country because they are poor there. I think this is a big part of the divide. You come here with no money you quickly end up in the ghetto..

A lot of Indian subcontinent people come to the US pretty poor, but their kids are very educated still.

I don't think Latinos are doing that much better than black people economically. The charts I've seen usually show slightly better at best.

And of course educated people of all ethnicities care. But what makes the difference is how much do the non educated people said ethnicity tend to value education.

But just look at the difference in how education is valued in China (which btw, only very recently passed Mexico in GDP per capita) versus Mexico or pretty much anywhere in Latin America. Culture plays a huge part in this.

Old 02-19-2020, 01:28 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Asians are still doing better than whites even without being top tier corporate employees.

NYC feels like that too. There are plenty of middle class black people, but by way of government jobs, nursing, etc. more so than "professional" jobs. However there are no majority Hispanic neighborhoods that I would consider even close to middle class.

Though at least in NYC, you see black and Hispanic people pretty much everywhere, while in Boston, the downtown seemed like mostly white people + Asian college students.

Most Latinos in the US are 1st to 2nd generation as well. So I don't think that's it.

Asians seem to just value education a lot. Education is a big deal even in Asia, while most of Latin America doesn't seem to prioritize education. So what you see in the US is simply a continuation of that.

Africans also seem to take education very seriously, at least based off of the Nigerians and Ghanians descended people that I know.
Accurate. But New York City being a media and entertainment capital offers more to blacks.latinos than Boston or Philly. There's not much affordable/appealng to regular blacks and latinos in Boston outside of Downtown Crossing and Chinatown (but no one wants to go to Chinatown). Its different than nyc in that respect. You'll see some black kids on the Boston Common but that mostly just for nefarious activity sadly (cell phone robberies/drug deals). Virtually nothing of interest for black adults 30+ in Boston. Youlf find to the south at South Shore Plaza (Braintree), Dedham Mall/Legacy Place, or the Ikea and Target in Stoughton probably over a third of the customers are middle-aged blacks folks. Almost all black families and older folks shop in the burbs in Boston as there's not much affordable downtown and rapid transit is very very limited and unreliable in Boston's southern half/black and brown areas.

I do wonder though if the non-white professionals in New York are overwhelmingly asian or a solid diverse mix. I feel like the latter, but maybe i'm wrong.

Old 02-19-2020, 01:29 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:

not in the northeast at least. Not the case

Old 02-19-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Accurate. But New York City being a media and entertainment capital offers more to blacks.latinos than Boston or Philly. There's not much affordable/appealng to regular blacks and latinos in Boston outside of Downtown Crossing and Chinatown (but no one wants to go to Chinatown). Its different than nyc in that respect. You'll see some black kids on the Boston Common but that mostly just for nefarious activity sadly (cell phone robberies/drug deals). Virtually nothing of interest for black adults 30+ in Boston. Youlf find to the south at South Shore Plaza (Braintree), Dedham Mall/Legacy Place, or the Ikea and Target in Stoughton probably over a third of the customers are middle-aged blacks folks. Almost all black families and older folks shop in the burbs in Boston as there's not much affordable downtown and rapid transit is very very limited and unreliable in Boston's southern half/black and brown areas.

I do wonder though if the non-white professionals in New York are overwhelmingly asian or a solid diverse mix. I feel like the latter, but maybe i'm wrong.

Yes, at least there is black nightlife and black fashion available in NYC's centrally located areas. Even if the residents of thoss neighborhoods are mostly white, you still get a sense of NYC's overall diversity by walking through them.

While in Boston, I went to like 4 random bars and they were all super white. So Boston somehow manages to feel truly segregated, despite being demographically similar to New York.

I've never had a professional job, but I would guess mostly the former.

Old 02-19-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Definitely not the case in NYC besides South Americans.

Old 02-19-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I don't think Latinos are doing that much better than black people economically. The charts I've seen usually show slightly better at best.
Quote:

I see this as a noticeable difference. Both in term of income and in term of trajectory. The increase is second only to Asians in the last few years.

Old 02-19-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:

I see this as a noticeable difference. Both in term of income and in term of trajectory. The increase is second only to Asians in the last few years.
Not a huge difference, and it's still pretty low. Also, Hispanics likely have larger household sizes than black people. And the Hispanic trajectory is completely flat at the end.

But damn, Asians are really headed towards being high income on average.

Old 02-19-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Not a huge difference, and it's still pretty low. Also, Hispanics likely have larger household sizes than black people. And the Hispanic trajectory is completely flat at the end.

But damn, Asians are really headed towards being high income on average.
It's a 25% increase. It's quite big.

I never really look at the last data point because often they get adjusted.

I didn't think about the larger household size but I doubt it explains much because a lot of Hispanic families have more kids, more expanses but not more income. Though it could explain part of it.

If you only consider Indian americans they have a median household income of about 114,000$ according to the Census (2017). Definitely, on average, rich.
https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...xhtml?src=bkmk

Old 02-19-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
It's a 25% increase. It's quite big.

I never really look at the last data point because often they get adjusted.

I didn't think about the larger household size but I doubt it explains much because a lot of Hispanic families have more kids, more expanses but not more income.
Numerous 18+ kids living at home would certainly mean more income. I know a Hispanic family with two adult sons working, the grandma works, and there are a few other working adults in the house too.

You could look at rates of bachelor's degrees too. I don't think Hispanics are doing very well there either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.