Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2020, 02:45 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Definitely not a Southern city culturally. San Antonio culturally is a Mexican city, not really American to me.

I consider San Antonio and everything south of it an extension of Mexico.
This is a cringy boomer opinion

San Antonio probably has a lower percentage of Mexican nationals than both Dallas and Houston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2020, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I disagree with that. Coming from a country where multiple languages are present. Language is a massive barrier and an international border is a massive barrier as well. Now the border cities probably have more in common with Nuevo Laredo, Cuidad Juarez and Matamoros. But a place like Kleberg County where only 40% of the population speaks Spanish while a much larger percent 80-90%+ speaks English, I find it hard to believe the connections are deeper to Mexico than the rest of Texas. About the only place where I would believe it is would be counties where 75%+ of the population spoke Spanish, because that means a supermajority speak that language. But even then 25% speak only English. Only a few counties in Texas do you get 90% speaking Spanish (and possibly English but we don't collect easy to access stats on those), and 10% speaking English only. Those counties it's easy to see how the connection to Mexico is stronger as depending on the bilingual number of students their might be more Spanish speakers than English Speakers.
Right. Just because someone is bilingual doesn't mean they're indistinguishable from someone in Mexico

Most US born bilingual people heavily lean towards English anyway.

Last edited by Foamposite; 11-23-2020 at 03:04 AM..

Old 11-23-2020, 11:35 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Definitely not a Southern city culturally. San Antonio culturally is a Mexican city, not really American to me.

I consider San Antonio and everything south of it an extension of Mexico.
San Antonio is Mexican-American.

Old 11-23-2020, 11:38 AM

9,893 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
This is a cringy boomer opinion

San Antonio probably has a lower percentage of Mexican nationals than both Dallas and Houston
Not even boomer. That comment is flat out racist. Having Mexican heritage disqualifies onw from being American? Interesting

Old 11-23-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Not even boomer. That comment is flat out racist. Having Mexican heritage disqualifies onw from being American? Interesting
Yeah it is racist. It doesn't disqualify someone from being American or even Southern.

A good chunk of the Mexican-Americans I talked to in Austin had Southern accents. Apparently that's super common in Dallas and Houston.

Old 11-23-2020, 03:10 PM

8,349 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Yeah it is racist. It doesn't disqualify someone from being American or even Southern.

A good chunk of the Mexican-Americans I talked to in Austin had Southern accents. Apparently that's super common in Dallas and Houston.
Maybe among 2nd generation and beyond Mexicans. It is not common at all among Mexican immigrants and their children (1st generation).

Old 11-23-2020, 04:40 PM

783 posts, read 839,527 times
My daughter attended college in Odessa, which some would say is not 'southern' compared to other parts of Texas.

She came back to Nevada using y'all, ma'am and sir liberally in speaking, wears cowboy boots and listens to country music. All of Texas is very 'southern' compared to the Mountain West.

Old 11-23-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
My daughter attended college in Odessa, which some would say is not 'southern' compared to other parts of Texas.

She came back to Nevada using y'all, ma'am and sir liberally in speaking, wears cowboy boots and listens to country music. All of Texas is very 'southern' compared to the Mountain West.
People on here take terrain too seriously. They won't call Odessa or Lubbock the South because they are too brown and empty.
Yet won't include Brownsville with the South, even though it has a Southeastern lushness to it.

Old 11-23-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Maybe among 2nd generation and beyond Mexicans. It is not common at all among Mexican immigrants and their children (1st generation).
Obviously not Mexican immigrants but their kids yes. Ever hear of rapper Kap G from College Park, Georgia? He is 2nd gen (children of immigrants) and he obviously has a Southern accent.

Old 11-23-2020, 04:51 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I still think San Antonio is pushing the term Southern pretty far. Seems far more Southwestern than say Southern like Georgia or Alabama.
San Antonio is Southwestern if your definition of "Southwest" begins and ends with "Mexicans". Otherwise, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.