Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2021, 05:42 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times

Advertisements

The Census numbers just coming out may prove to be a "one second before disaster" snapshot. COVID-19 became a major deal just two weeks before the April 1, 2020 Census date. And the George Floyd protests and riots started less than two months after that. These events have the potential to significantly alter population trends nationwide in the years to come. If so, it will prove rather handy to have a baseline number (i.e. the 2020 Census) right before everything changed -- if indeed everything ends up changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 05:45 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,218,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
*edit: haha... beat me to it*

alabama one of the bigger surprises too, exceeding estimates by over 100,000 to cross the 5,000,000 mark.

Yea, it blows my mind. I don't understand it, how does 125k people slip through the crack. Massive oversight by whoever keeps up with the population growth in Alabama. Must've been high the entire time. The state has been lead to believe that we have sluggish growth when in fact it seems like the state has a pretty respectable growth rate

Old 04-26-2021, 05:58 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I wonder if Philly will hit 1.6 million and Boston 700,000 with the state undercounts.
Also Chicago might trmerorarily resurpass Toronto
May 27th cities and counties data will release and June 17th race, income and all other stuffs

Old 04-26-2021, 06:03 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The Census numbers just coming out may prove to be a "one second before disaster" snapshot. COVID-19 became a major deal just two weeks before the April 1, 2020 Census date. And the George Floyd protests and riots started less than two months after that. These events have the potential to significantly alter population trends nationwide in the years to come. If so, it will prove rather handy to have a baseline number (i.e. the 2020 Census) right before everything changed -- if indeed everything ends up changing.
I think that is a very valid point. I am not sure covid changed State populations, but likely more city changes within States.

Old 04-26-2021, 06:20 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Here's a chart I made with the full numbers. New York City has 1 million more people than anticipated and the entire net Census undercount is accounted for by the Northeast.

Fantastic news!
Puerto Rico lost nearly half a million residents in ten years. Not surprising but wow.

Old 04-26-2021, 06:26 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,738,996 times
PA surpassing 13 million. Not all that surprising. Philadelphia, Lancaster, York-Hanover, Harrisburg metros are growing at a decent clip. If it wasn't for the western part of the state, once might think that PA is just a notch below North Carolina in terms of growth.

West Virginia is unique. It seems to actually be booming in most areas within commuting distance to the Maryland line, which really tells you how much the isolated, rural counties are bleeding people.

Old 04-26-2021, 06:30 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
PA surpassing 13 million. Not all that surprising. Philadelphia, Lancaster, York-Hanover, Harrisburg metros are growing at a decent clip. If it wasn't for the western part of the state, once might think that PA is just a notch below North Carolina in terms of growth.

West Virginia is unique. It seems to actually be booming in most areas within commuting distance to the Maryland line, which really tells you how much the isolated, rural counties are bleeding people.
West VA is not unique. If you carved out let’s say the twin tiers of NY/PA you’d probably se similar demographic trends. Or if you removed Chicagoland from Ill. Remove Metro KC from Kansas and it’s shrinking.

Rural areas are struggling everywhere (other than ND because resource extraction jobs aren’t mobile) it’s just WV is pretty different I’m not having a major city to mask the loss.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:03 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Wow, Pennsylvania surpassed 13M? I was not expecting that, but great news.

I wonder if the gap between Pennsylvania and Illinois will continue to widen.

I think it will...

Pennsylvania and its Eastern portion are really growing at a healthy clip.

I do not dislike Illinois... but its population and assets are so concentrated around Chicago, once you get south of Springfield it just is total crickets.

Whereas based on Pennsylvania's geographic diversity it really is in a higher growth trend overall..

Philadelphia and Southeast Pennsylvania, The Lehigh Valley and the Susquehanna Valley are growing at a very healthy rate. Even parts of the Poconos have seen tons of growth.

Pittsburgh is not all sour news either... although some of the exurban Pittsburgh areas continue to shed population. But overall Eastern Pennsylvania is on fire..

Old 04-26-2021, 07:21 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Looks like Georgia was pretty spot on to me.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:37 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Here's a chart I made with the full numbers. New York City has 1 million more people than anticipated and the entire net Census undercount is accounted for by the Northeast.

Fantastic news!
Great job with this list, but how's VA and WV considered the NE?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.