Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2023, 01:37 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
Vermont - no fast food. Actually pretty hard to find in most of the state, and even in the most populous areas, choices are severely limited. The culture seems to be mildly against chains in general.
Facts. This is so true in northern new England. I think I ate once at a McDonalds in Maine, but that was attached to a hotel.

Kinda goes for all of New England except inside 128 and SWCT, and even there you can find it but the chains are extremely limited in selection. Definitely no real pride beyond Dunkin Donuts which most people dont think is very good or anything to brag about a la Cookout or Wawa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2023, 02:24 PM

6,793 posts, read 4,236,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Facts. This is so true in northern new England. I think I ate once at a McDonalds in Maine, but that was attached to a hotel.

Kinda goes for all of New England except inside 128 and SWCT, and even there you can find it but the chains are extremely limited in selection. Definitely no real pride beyond Dunkin Donuts which most people dont think is very good or anything to brag about a la Cookout or Wawa.

It's economics more than culture. Low population density leads to low fast food density. You need a certain head count in a certain radius to make a fast food place work (economies of scale allow for the pricing people expect in fast food).

As a result you get base coverage from the biggest national chains in the bigger cities and towns as well as near tourist sites and along major highways but not much else.

Old 06-20-2023, 02:34 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I have yet to hear any Northeasterner to have any positive thing to say about Wawas. They were actually the settings of several horror stories about why they left.
You're joking, right? Wawas literally have a cult following in the Mid-Atlantic.

And while no large chain will have absolutely stellar customer service, the value, food/beverage offerings, and efficient layout of Wawas make them far superior to any other convenience store chain the US, bar none.

I've also literally yet to meet a surly Wawa employee in the many years of being a customer--seriously.

Old 06-20-2023, 02:40 PM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
A lot of these are now more than regional, and I wouldn't consider some fast food (to me that's pulling up to a drive through window, getting your food and leaving).

My favorite for Cleveland/NE Ohio is Mr. Hero (Roman Burger... enough said). They got over 100 locations but think everyone is in Northern Ohio. There are a couple in Toledo and maybe Columbus got a couple now but its still regional specific.

The other one is Swenson's in Akron. It'll put pretty much any cheeseburger to shame (including some from local chains that branched out national). Swensons still probably has less than 20 locations but is moving into Cleveland in recent years. How good is it? LeBron is an absolute health freak but he is not turning down a Swensons burger. The shakes too, smh.
Oh you beat me to it! Swensons, for sure.

Old 06-20-2023, 03:13 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
It's economics more than culture. Low population density leads to low fast food density. You need a certain head count in a certain radius to make a fast food place work (economies of scale allow for the pricing people expect in fast food).

As a result you get base coverage from the biggest national chains in the bigger cities and towns as well as near tourist sites and along major highways but not much else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
You're joking, right? Wawas literally have a cult following in the Mid-Atlantic.

And while no large chain will have absolutely stellar customer service, the value, food/beverage offerings, and efficient layout of Wawas make them far superior to any other convenience store chain the US, bar none.

I've also literally yet to meet a surly Wawa employee in the many years of being a customer--seriously.

WaWa is amazing and I'm blessed to have one 10 min from my house. Nobody dislikes WaWa.

also to VV point

Yes density for Vermont and Northern New England but how come CT MA RI

don't have

WaWa
White Castle
Zaxbys
Pollo Loco
Jack in the Box
Checkers /Rallys
Hardees
Del Taco
Waffle House
Sizzler
Long John Silvers*
Raising Canes*
Bojangles*
Krispy Kreme *
Sonic *
Church's
Sheetz
Highs
CookOut
In N Out
Cici's pizza
Whataburger
Fat Burger
Tim Hortons
Nathans Famous

or various others

*= less than 10 locations between the 3 states or entered the market after 2020.

these are 3 of the top 4 most densely populated states. IMO It's mostly culture. I remember a popeyes got put on hold for 5 years deep in inner city Boston due to neighborhood groups protesting its presence. It never opened and has been vacant for 7 years.

Old 06-20-2023, 06:16 PM

6,793 posts, read 4,236,377 times
Quote:
WaWa is amazing and I'm blessed to have one 10 min from my house. Nobody dislikes WaWa.

also to VV point

Yes density for Vermont and Northern New England but how come CT MA RI

don't have

WaWa
White Castle
Zaxbys
Pollo Loco
Jack in the Box
Checkers /Rallys
Hardees
Del Taco
Waffle House
Sizzler
Long John Silvers*
Raising Canes*
Bojangles*
Krispy Kreme *
Sonic *
Church's
Sheetz
Highs
CookOut
In N Out
Cici's pizza
Whataburger
Fat Burger
Tim Hortons
Nathans Famous

or various others

*= less than 10 locations between the 3 states or entered the market after 2020.

these are 3 of the top 4 most densely populated states. IMO It's mostly culture. I remember a popeyes got put on hold for 5 years deep in inner city Boston due to neighborhood groups protesting its presence. It never opened and has been vacant for 7 years.

Most of these aren't in D.C. and inner suburbs either. Either because they're regional chains from somewhere else in the country or because their kind of food doesn't have much of a following among the 'enlightened' folks in this area.

It's not like New England doesn't have its own chains which it's known for nationally like Dunkin Donuts (out of MA) and Subway (out of CT) or more regional ones like D'Angelo or Bertucci's.

Old 06-20-2023, 07:06 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Oh you beat me to it! Swensons, for sure.
Isn’t Swenson’s California?

Old 06-21-2023, 07:17 AM

914 posts, read 561,339 times
Quote:
I remember a popeyes got put on hold for 5 years deep in inner city Boston due to neighborhood groups protesting its presence. It never opened and has been vacant for 7 years.
I think you're thinking of Chik-Fil-A, not Popeye's. There's been a longstanding Popeye's in Everett Square since forever.

The real issue is cost of overhead/real estate/logistical limits vs traffic potential.

Then there are cultural factors: Krispy Kreme being an infamous example of being a style of doughnut that New Englanders, who have their own local doughnut culture, don't care for (way too sweet). (Then again, Dunkin' basically transformed itself out of that business into the beverage business with legacy food options.)

Old 06-21-2023, 07:20 AM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Popeyes used to be a cult in Louisiana. It’s tamed a lot ever since the BK merger.

But now… raisin canes has taken over Louisiana. It’s almost worst than Texans with whataburger.

Old 06-21-2023, 12:17 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,738,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I have yet to hear any Northeasterner to have any positive thing to say about Wawas. They were actually the settings of several horror stories about why they left.
The only places I've seen wawa's is in NJ and PA. Never seen them in NYC or CT which is where I've lived most of my life before moving to western Washington state (going on 7 years now here) and obviously they are not a thing here as well. Isn't it more a mid-Atlantic thing because I've never seen them in the northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.