Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2023, 11:44 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
The important part of the burger is the patty, bun, cheese, and vegetables. It would be an understatement to say that the quality of every single one of these items at Shake Shack is superior to that of Whataburger. Whataburger gets creative because it has to. A good burger doesn’t need to be overly mixed in with flavors to be good.

In N Out is overrated. Whataburger is overrated. Shake shack is overrated. But Shake Shack undeniably has the best quality of this group.

The one thing I will give to Whataburger over Shake Shack is the convenience. It has a drive through and is open much later (24 hours).
Shake Shack near me has a double drive-through.

Shake Shack major drawback is its extremely expensive for fast food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2023, 11:59 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
Quote:
The important part of the burger is the patty, bun, cheese, and vegetables. It would be an understatement to say that the quality of every single one of these items at Shake Shack is superior to that of Whataburger. Whataburger gets creative because it has to. A good burger doesn’t need to be overly mixed in with flavors to be good.

In N Out is overrated. Whataburger is overrated. Shake shack is overrated. But Shake Shack undeniably has the best quality of this group.

The one thing I will give to Whataburger over Shake Shack is the convenience. It has a drive through and is open much later (24 hours).
The important part of any food is taste. Period!!!! Whataburger makes tastier burgers than any of those places you mentioned. Saying a place gets creative because it has to dismisses all the fusion places out there. Whataburger gets creative because people crave new and interesting flavor combinations. And Shake Shack is no stranger to going that route either.

Maybe if you are comparing a regular cheeseburger across all those places then yes Shake Shake would be top notch, but if you are talking about the best tasting burger, the sweet and spicy bacon or the Bacon Blue cheese at Whataburger mops the floor with Shake Shack etc al. They taste fresh but they don't have any unique flavor.

One of the more flavorful Shake Shack offerings was the Bourbon Bacon burger. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was delicious, and a step up from Wendy's bourbon Bacon burger, but still not as tasty as Whataburger.

Old 06-26-2023, 12:35 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

i'd put shake-shack more in the "Fast casual" family to a degree....

But it also just....isn't that good?

I find their burgers to somehow both be not filling enough yet also leave with that post-greasy-food "grogginess". They are on the smaller side yet somehow feel like they have the grease content of a much larger burger...condensed.

I remember being very excited to try out Shake Shack on a trip to DC several years ago after hearing so much hype.....and being significantly underwhelmed.

They opened up a location in Cary, NC a little while after that and decided to give them another try....a little better than the burger i had in DC but it still doesn't do it for me.

I will say at least Shake Shack has decent fries. I question the judgement of every west-coast homer going on about In 'n Out when they serve borderline-raw potatoes and call them fries.

Old 06-26-2023, 10:20 PM

2,848 posts, read 2,165,384 times
Quote:

I agree that Whataburger seem to use the lowest quality ingredient for everything except ketchup and that's why their most popular items are the busy ones with tons of accessories.

Old 06-27-2023, 07:39 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
Went to an in-n-out last time I was in LA. The line was out into the road at 10:00, took a solid 45 minutes to go through the drive-thru, and the food wasn’t great at all. I talked myself into it just being cold by the time I got it to the house. But I have no desire to experience that again.

Hardee’s breakfast is still the king to me, even over something like Biscuitville or Bojangles. But it’s clearly only an old person’s place at this point and they are disappearing but fast.

And while I’m sure it’s been said, and at this point is more a national institution, but Chick-fil-A is still the gold standard regional pride for most people I know. Whenever people travel, one of the top questions is invariably did they have a Chick-fil-A, did try it out, and how was the sweet tea/customer service?

Old 06-27-2023, 09:23 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I agree that Whataburger seem to use the lowest quality ingredient for everything except ketchup and that's why their most popular items are the busy ones with tons of accessories.
Whataburger uses fresh, never frozen beef, just like In N Out, and the other better quality joints. Places like McDonald's, burger King etc uses frozen beef or beef soaked in brine etc.

https://www.franchisechatter.com/201...taburger-menu/
Quote:
Each and every Whataburger is still made to order using 100% pure fresh beef that’s never frozen...
The toppings are all very fresh and help the burger be much better than it otherwise would be.
Whataburger is definitely among the fresh camp. Even their buns are baked fresh daily

Old 06-27-2023, 11:59 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Speaking of White Castle, does Krystal have a major following in Georgia?
I see Krystal’s here but they don’t seem to be a big deal. The one near me on Cobb Parkway (a busy arterial) seems to always be empty. I’ve never had White Castle or Krystal. Before I moved to Atlanta they opened up a White Castle in the Native American reservation next to Scottsdale AZ and that place would have like an hour two hour long line it was insanity. And no I’m not exaggerating. As a result I never went I’m not waiting that long for a burger. And the Krystal near me just never appealed to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Went to an in-n-out last time I was in LA. The line was out into the road at 10:00, took a solid 45 minutes to go through the drive-thru, and the food wasn’t great at all. I talked myself into it just being cold by the time I got it to the house. But I have no desire to experience that again.

Hardee’s breakfast is still the king to me, even over something like Biscuitville or Bojangles. But it’s clearly only an old person’s place at this point and they are disappearing but fast.

And while I’m sure it’s been said, and at this point is more a national institution, but Chick-fil-A is still the gold standard regional pride for most people I know. Whenever people travel, one of the top questions is invariably did they have a Chick-fil-A, did try it out, and how was the sweet tea/customer service?
Don’t be disrespecting Atlanta now, we are the home of Chick-fil-A and Atlanta knows it’s chicken and it’s sweet tea. We also have Zaxby’s which I think goes to the other southern states at least. Honestly Zaxby’s is weak compared to Raising Cane’s.

Old 06-27-2023, 01:41 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
Chick-fil-A’s roots are certainly Atlanta, but it’s definitely become embedded in the wider region since it’s free-standing expansion in the early 90s. Chick-fil-A’s openings in the South were circus events back then, spread by insane word of mouth. Even today, local papers will report on rumors of a potential Chick-fil-a coming (Chatham County still hasn’t recovered from the false rumors from 2019).

Old 08-11-2023, 08:50 AM

9,855 posts, read 6,566,773 times
I had Shake Shack in NC. It was no where near as good as the particular Florida location I frequented. And in this case, the product didn’t match the price. So I guess shake shack is one of the hit or miss places.

Previously, I’ve had Shake Shack at an Astros game at the stadium and the product wasn’t too good. But it figured it was because it was a stadium

Old 08-11-2023, 09:05 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

This is my take on Shake Shack. It's good, but it's not $20 per person good. Their tiny, run-of-the-mill cheeseburger is almost $7. They're way overpriced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.