Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 10:58 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,594,265 times

Advertisements

Alaska has a large ferry system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 11:03 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,166 times
Thanks everyone for the replies so far. And please share maps!!

I also want to note that this isn’t a city vs city thread. The purpose is to share and learn information! Not to measure who has the largest or most routes or whatever compared to another!!

Old 08-23-2021, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
Around Miami people prefer to have their own personal boat transportation system.
I was wondering about Miami!!! I’ve been there countless times and I’ve never heard of any public transit system across the Biscayne, which is really unfortunate. I usually bus or bike it across from Miami to Miami Beach, but ughhhhhh Miami needs a system like this! Thanks for the insight though.

Old 08-23-2021, 11:07 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Not sure if you're being serious.
My bad. You’re right total passenger volume is higher. My brain was thinking car ferry and not the water taxies, also Staten Island has really increased volume in recent years.

Old 08-23-2021, 11:16 PM

626 posts, read 463,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I was wondering about Miami!!! I’ve been there countless times and I’ve never heard of any public transit system across the Biscayne, which is really unfortunate. I usually bus or bike it across from Miami to Miami Beach, but ughhhhhh Miami needs a system like this! Thanks for the insight though.

They have a ferry system across Biscayne..

https://www.masstransitmag.com/alt-m...-service-again

Old 08-23-2021, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the replies so far. And please share maps!!

I also want to note that this isn’t a city vs city thread. The purpose is to share and learn information! Not to measure who has the largest or most routes or whatever compared to another!!
NYC’s Ferry map with the new line

https://wordpress.ferry.nyc/nycferry...ouncement-map/

New Jersey ferry system (NY Waterway)

https://www.nywaterway.com/RouteMaps.aspx

I highly recommend ferries and boats as a way to see NYC and travel throughout to travelers. It’s very overlooked, but also very affordable and efficient as well as scenic.

I would love to see maps of systems in other cities. Never knew that about Long Beach and that’s something I definitely want to try! It sounds amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
They have a ferry system across Biscayne..

https://www.masstransitmag.com/alt-m...-service-again

Ugh, I needed this! Is there only one route? Or are there more? The article doesn’t say or have any maps or anything. Thanks for sharing though.

Old 08-23-2021, 11:19 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,974,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
NYC does huge numbers of people. Seattle's superlatives are more about trips, routes, etc. I think about 5,000 walk off ferries at the Downtown terminal at morning rush hour, less than NYC.

Washington State Ferries (WSF?!) is the main system. Kitsap Transit and Metro Transit also run ferries.

PS, it's all accessible by roads too, aside from the San Juan Islands (any others?). But driving around takes a long time.

We're also the biggest cruise ship port on the West Coast. And we have a private company that does Victoria fast ferries.
Number of boats/ships, route miles, ok. I get that. But I still don't think that makes NYC small potatoes, especially when this thread is about cities, not states.

Interesting about the cruise ships. Is Seattle where people start the cruises to Alaska and visit glaciers? I think that's become by far the most memorable cruise on the west coast.

Old 08-23-2021, 11:31 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,974,451 times
Quote:
Never knew that about Long Beach and that’s something I definitely want to try! It sounds amazing.
Haha. It's not amazing, but it's interesting. It has two services. One goes between downtown Long Beach and a big Marina at the end of Long Beach. That takes 40 min each way and I've never been. The other service hasn't run since the pandemic and makes a triangle from downtown Long Beach to the cruise ships/queen mary and a hotel. That's only like 15 to 20 min RT.

Old 08-24-2021, 02:09 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,921,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Alaska has a large ferry system.
Yes they probably have one of the longest routes in the world, starting in Bellingham WA, and going all the way to the Aleutian Islands.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Marine_Highway

Old 08-24-2021, 03:59 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Since this is North America, I’d go with BC Ferries for sheer reliance on ferries as the cornerstone of the transportation infrastructure. Vancouver Island is, err, an Island. The two major cities in the province, Vancouver and Victoria, require a ferry ride.

I imagine NYC has the most passengers per day in the United States. But ferries are an insignificant part of their transportation infrastructure compared to BC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.