Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 04:07 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times

Advertisements

The OP asked about cities. New Orleans has several ferries in the city proper and a few more in the metro. Houston has one in the city. I think Cincinnati still has one or two. Jacksonville has a couple nearby. St. Louis has at least one in the metro. Baton Rouge has one downtown. AA couple of ferries cross south of Portland OR. There were four near Detroit but I think Covid closed them. One was exclusively for trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 08:28 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,080,928 times
NY Waterway alone does about 30-35k trips/daily. They have been around for a long time (1980's) and started out as just between the NJ waterfront to Manhattan and shortly thereafter expanded their routes to all over the metro.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:44 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Number of boats/ships, route miles, ok. I get that. But I still don't think that makes NYC small potatoes, especially when this thread is about cities, not states.

Interesting about the cruise ships. Is Seattle where people start the cruises to Alaska and visit glaciers? I think that's become by far the most memorable cruise on the west coast.
Yes, the Alaska routes. Vancouver used to dominate, but Seattle has taken the lead in recent years. Ships got faster, and can now make it to the best areas with 6.5-day round trips from Seattle.

We often get three stops per day (mostly weekends) in the summer, meaning six sets of passengers come through per day.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:50 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Boston has a pretty well used Ferrry system as part of the MBTA. It's a real thing.

https://www.mbta.com/schedules/ferry

Boston was looking to expand it pre pandemic.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 08-24-2021 at 09:01 AM..

Old 08-24-2021, 08:53 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Yes, the Alaska routes. Vancouver used to dominate, but Seattle has taken the lead in recent years. Ships got faster, and can now make it to the best areas with 6.5-day round trips from Seattle.
Yeah 1.2 million passengers from Seattle to Alaska annually. See a couple of cruise ships constantly on the sound.

Old 08-24-2021, 09:04 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
The OP asked about cities. New Orleans has several ferries in the city proper and a few more in the metro. Houston has one in the city. I think Cincinnati still has one or two. Jacksonville has a couple nearby. St. Louis has at least one in the metro. Baton Rouge has one downtown. AA couple of ferries cross south of Portland OR. There were four near Detroit but I think Covid closed them. One was exclusively for trucks.
New Orleans has 2 operated by RTA. There are none in downtown Baton Rouge. The only one in metro BR is Plaquemine to Sunshine ferry.

Old 08-24-2021, 10:50 AM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Victoria, BC

Old 08-24-2021, 11:00 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies so far. And please share maps!!

I also want to note that this isn’t a city vs city thread. The purpose is to share and learn information! Not to measure who has the largest or most routes or whatever compared to another!!
absolu

100%

Old 08-24-2021, 11:35 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
In Vancouver I'd break it down between services that are actually part of the transit system, meaning you seamlessly can move between the Skytrain and busses to the Seabus, and private little ferries that take people around False Creek, and BC Ferries,

Vancouver has pretty much always had some sort of ferry service from the North Shore to downtown Vancouver before the Lions Gate Bridge was built in 1937. Then as the development of Lonsdale Quay ( a public market etc ) was created, a new service called the Seabus was built in 1977.

The Seabus is a 400 passenger only ferry that is part of the transit system and goes between downtown Vancouver and North Vancouver. It runs every 15 minutes for the 12 minute journey. It's very efficient at loading and unloading. One side of the ferry doors open to let passengers off, then the other side opens to let passengers in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwaXp8TMNMc

There are two private companies that have little cute passenger ( some are built for bikes as well ) ferries, used by locals and but mostly tourists, to get around False Creek. They are not part of the transit system, so you pay separately.

https://granvilleislandferries.bc.ca...SAAEgK2Y_D_BwE

https://theaquabus.com

Then we have BC Ferries. Not part of the transit system per se, but on some shorter routes, like Langdale to Horseshoe Bay, or Horseshoe Bay to Bowen Island, I suppose someone may use it as transit if they worked in the Vancouver area.

Their ferries range in size from small car ferries to large vessels that hold 2,100 passengers & crew, and 358 cars.

This gives an idea of the view to Victoria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MejmDgruTuM

This guy seems to only be interested in food, but gives an idea of the amenities on board, usually two restaurants, a cafe, lots of comfortable seating, work stations and kids play areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sabrIgchMsQ

Old 08-24-2021, 01:41 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
This ferry runs in the Burlington VT/Plattsburgh NY area across Lake Champlain: https://ferries.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.