Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 09:56 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times

Advertisements

Warm is subjective, the gulf coast heat is oppressing. I prefer not sweating for 8 months, so while I do like California warm, I hate Florida warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2021, 10:23 AM

1,094 posts, read 808,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I think that most people prefer day-to-day weather to be neither hot nor cold, but comfortable. I typically find temps in the mid-60’s to mid-70’s to be comfortable depending on what I’m doing. For hiking maybe a little cooler and for swimming a little warmer. That’s pretty much the weather that we have in LA for most of the year with generally cool nights and hotter days for about half of July through October.
Same, as much I like warm weather. Summers in the south can be oppressive.

Old 10-06-2021, 11:29 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,129,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Same, as much I like warm weather. Summers in the south can be oppressive.
People think they are oppressive without having the counterpoint of a Wyoming winter to compare to. In the end, look at how many people live in FL vs going a little bit more temperate living in AL or GA.

Old 10-06-2021, 12:52 PM

1,094 posts, read 808,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
People think they are oppressive without having the counterpoint of a Wyoming winter to compare to. In the end, look at how many people live in FL vs going a little bit more temperate living in AL or GA.
Florida takes the cake for having the most humid summers. One youtuber I watch who moved from Florida to Alabama said he felt much cooler in Alabama than he did in Naples, FL.

Old 10-06-2021, 01:19 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Quote:
A lot of people romanticize living in a warmer climate. The sunbelt has been in the conversation for growth for decades now especially in the last 20 years. I see more people talk about hating cold winters than they do hot summers. Do you think warmer weather makes people happy?
Unfortunately with the exception of Southern California, warmer weather does make most people happy but is almost always correlated with paltry pay for jobs.

Old 10-06-2021, 01:27 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Too bad your Youtube buddy didn’t head East to the Atlantic side of Florida where the summer in SoFla is more tolerable, bordering on outright enjoyable, than the Gulf Coast of FL (Naples) which is hotter during the summer months whereas Atlantic Ocean breezes make a difference until you start getting more than a few miles inland.

Quote:
Florida takes the cake for having the most humid summers. One youtuber I watch who moved from Florida to Alabama said he felt much cooler in Alabama than he did in Naples, FL.

Last edited by elchevere; 10-06-2021 at 01:53 PM..

Old 10-06-2021, 01:28 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Warm weather can make me happy, and it can also make me miserable. Too hot with too much humidity is a living hell.

I love summer, but I am happy when autumn rolls around, cooler days, changing leaves, different foods and clothing.

I also enjoy a couple of weeks in Mexico during the winter, but could never live in a climate that is warm all year round.

I like the seasons.

Old 10-06-2021, 01:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
No, warmer weather makes me miserable. For me 65-70F is perfect, and though I can take 80 and manage, above that is too hot. This one reason why we moved here to the Pacific Northwest. I grew up in Lafayette, CA which was known as "The Sunshine Valley" and I always dreaded the first week of school, when it was typically 105F.

Old 10-06-2021, 03:36 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
I'm happiest when it's somewhere between 55 degrees and 75 degrees. No sweatshirt and no AC required. Just the perfect temperature range.

I can tolerate into the low 80's in the summer, but wouldn't want to live in a climate where it's regularly above 85 degrees most of the year. On top of that, I can't stand humid heat. Humid heat in the high 80's is just as bad as below zero freezing and windy conditions. I would be miserable living in southern Florida or Texas year round.

Dry heat is more tolerable, but I still wouldn't want to live in a year-round warm/hot climate. I definitely need seasons, but the late Spring/ early Fall where I'm at brings the most optimal temperatures.

In general, my answer is "kinda". It's definitely refreshing to get some warm days in June/July after a long freezing winter, but by August, I'm ready to kiss the oppressive humid heat and mosquitos/buggy weather goodbye for a while, and ready to welcome in the cooler, more mild temperatures.

Last edited by CCrest182; 10-06-2021 at 03:50 PM..

Old 10-06-2021, 04:54 PM

6,791 posts, read 4,236,377 times
Yes warm weather makes me happy. But I am quite sure that this is only because I am familiar with cold weather as well. If all I knew was warm weather I would likely have little appreciation for it as I'd just take it for granted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.