Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 1,329 times

Advertisements

I do not like warm climates. Grew up and lived on Long Island for 25 year, and then moved to Florida for 7 years. Absolutely hated Florida. Now I'm back in the north east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2021, 10:20 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
SAD isn't about cold, it's about lack of sunlight.
Which isn't even a big issue in the Twin Cities. Anyone that thinks the TC lacks sunlight in winter should try the eastern Great Lakes or PNW. If anything the combination of sun and snow makes you need sunglasses more so in January than July lol. I love TC winters for the variation in weather while still being solidly wintry most of the time.

Old 10-15-2021, 10:49 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Not into extremes at either end, but if forced to choose I'd pick cooler over warmer.

Too much heat makes me feel like a slug and gulf coast living was only tolerable on the days I could actually spend ON the water, the actual day to day working and living was horrific for about eight or nine months of the year.

I much prefer my current climate of mild winters and shorter summers. Even my childhood winters on the Great Lakes is preferable to another gulf coast summer.

Old 10-15-2021, 11:01 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
YES!!! My wife and I love warm weather. The warmer, the better. But we also love 4-season climates, with Summer being our favorite.

Old 10-15-2021, 11:04 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,103,690 times
I rather hate hot weather, much prefer cooler weather.
I like fall...and spring the best,
but I even like winter better than summer.
Summer is my least favorite season - but I love the change of the seasons....just seems like summer is too intense and last way too long! At least for me!

Old 10-15-2021, 11:38 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...es-social.html

Studies show 72 degrees F is the sweet spot for making people more sociable and emotionally stable. For reference, my hometown has an average annual high of 71 degrees.

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/usnc0558

However that’s only on average for the whole year. It should be noted that the average highs for the months of April and October are closest to this mark, and indeed are usually the favorite months for people I know around here.

San Diego would likely be the place in the continental US that has on average the closest to this weather year-round.

Old 10-15-2021, 12:02 PM

211 posts, read 136,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
I have Minnesota to compare to though and after 23 years living in hot humid places I am much happier in Minnesota.

I had a cop in Wyoming as what I was doing down in Cheyenne in February, I said just passing through. He warned me "It gets cold here," I said "You're cute..."

It was like maybe 20 degrees there.. About -16 back in MN.

Haha when I was in El Paso recently, someone gave me that same "it gets pretty cold here" line - which compared to Denver and especially Minnesota seems silly. But it's all relative...

To me, an El Paso or Las Cruces winter is about perfect - it's not winter without a little chill, but I'm not craving -16 temps.

Old 10-16-2021, 02:14 PM

828 posts, read 692,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
A lot of people romanticize living in a warmer climate. The sunbelt has been in the conversation for growth for decades now especially in the last 20 years. I see more people talk about hating cold winters than they do hot summers. Do you think warmer weather makes people happy?
The short answer is yes. While I will acknowledge that some people enjoy cold weather, the majority of people clearly do not. Migration patterns alone are proof of this.

Places like Alaska, Montana and Idaho have plenty of open space, they are safe, they are affordable, and they are known to have friendly citizens, but very few people move there. Why? It is too cold most of the year.

People are flocking to places like Florida, Texas and Arizona though. Why? They are warm most of the year. Sure, there are economic factors, but the main reason those places are booming economically is that people desire to live and work there. The warm weather really does make a difference.

Old 10-16-2021, 10:29 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
The short answer is yes. While I will acknowledge that some people enjoy cold weather, the majority of people clearly do not. Migration patterns alone are proof of this.

Places like Alaska, Montana and Idaho have plenty of open space, they are safe, they are affordable, and they are known to have friendly citizens, but very few people move there. Why? It is too cold most of the year.

People are flocking to places like Florida, Texas and Arizona though. Why? They are warm most of the year. Sure, there are economic factors, but the main reason those places are booming economically is that people desire to live and work there. The warm weather really does make a difference.
Idaho is one of the fastest growing states, many articles on this. The real estate market there is torrid.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:54 AM

2,365 posts, read 1,853,815 times
I like hot weather. This time of year phoenix has nearly ideal weather to me. Gets managably hot for a couple hours a day. Most of the day is warm. It cools off considerably at night.

Spoiler
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.