Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 05:19 AM

1,094 posts, read 807,453 times

Advertisements

A lot of people romanticize living in a warmer climate. The sunbelt has been in the conversation for growth for decades now especially in the last 20 years. I see more people talk about hating cold winters than they do hot summers. Do you think warmer weather makes people happy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2021, 06:34 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
I prefer warm weather climates, particularly year round, with access to water (preferably an ocean) and urban amenities.

I love NYC and Chicago but couldn’t live there during winter whereas I can, and do, live in Miami in summer.

“Going where the climate suits my clothes”

Last edited by elchevere; 10-06-2021 at 07:09 AM..

Old 10-06-2021, 06:38 AM

27,553 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Do you think warmer weather makes people happy?
Not me. I live in Maryland and it gets too hot around here in the summer for my liking.

I am a cool weather/ ac kind of person.

Old 10-06-2021, 07:05 AM

20 posts, read 22,666 times
A perfect day for me is a clear day with temperatures around the 50s-60s.

Old 10-06-2021, 07:28 AM

533 posts, read 642,191 times
Definitely prefer warm weather and sunshine. Shorts weather is the best weather!

Old 10-06-2021, 07:43 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,750,180 times
Even as a cold weather person, I do appreciate the first days of 60-70 degree temps after a long winter.
I still don't care for full-blown hot summer at all. Temps between 30-70 are most ideal for me.

It's anecdotal, but from my experience when living down south, people tended to be more grumpy and short-tempered in the hot summer months. Higher violent crime rates in the summer reflect that.
In the north, people may not like the cold and snow, but it's usually not played out with anger. Melancholy would be a better word.

There can be too much warmth. That's why coastal California is so crowded. It's weather isn't extreme either way. Once upon a time, California had a reputation for being easy-going and laid back. Whether or not it was true I don't know, but if it were, the lack of weather extremes surely played a part. The excess crowding I think has contributed to it's shine wearing off.
I would have seriously considered it 60-70 years ago.

Old 10-06-2021, 08:57 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
A lot of people romanticize living in a warmer climate. The sunbelt has been in the conversation for growth for decades now especially in the last 20 years. I see more people talk about hating cold winters than they do hot summers. Do you think warmer weather makes people happy?
To me the main thing about warm weather climates is naturally you go outside more. And over the long term maybe that is beneficial toward a person's mood.

However, in colder climates you get the "pick me up" from a nice winter day. You don't get that in warm climates because every day is like that.

In places where it is cold you literally see the entire population on a "high" when spring comes and they can get out and do things. In warm weather climates spring days are just days.

Old 10-06-2021, 09:09 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,974,451 times
I think that most people prefer day-to-day weather to be neither hot nor cold, but comfortable. I typically find temps in the mid-60’s to mid-70’s to be comfortable depending on what I’m doing. For hiking maybe a little cooler and for swimming a little warmer. That’s pretty much the weather that we have in LA for most of the year with generally cool nights and hotter days for about half of July through October.

Old 10-06-2021, 09:32 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,029,926 times
Yes. I am happy from late March through mid-November.

I like Thanksgiving and Christmas. Then there comes the slog through January and February. I hate January and February.

Old 10-06-2021, 09:43 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,125,268 times
Yes, most people prefer 'just right'. The real question though is when it's not just right, which end is better?

Looking at where people live across the globe, it's pretty clear that warm is WAY up on the priority list. Look how many people live in Egypt, the Arabian Peninsula, and Pakistan, where they are literally running out of water, it's hot as hell, and scenery is pretty darn subpar (mars like). The Arabian Peninsula has a much higher immigration rate than the US... Contrast this with Russia and Canada which check off a lot of other livability boxes, but have really harsh winters.

Makes you wonder why everyone thinks global warming is the worlds worst disaster, outside of the rapid change - people thrive a lot better when things aren't frozen over. Especially when you consider that most of the warming is in the arctic.

That being said, there's a lot of 2nd generation immigrants from really hot places that prefer 4 season climates once they grew up in the states. I think people don't necessarily hate winter, they just hate sub 10F temps. Without much money, it's harder to survive in cold weather, as people get money to afford nice houses and utilities, maybe there isn't such a global preference for tropical weather, it might be that temperate is more desired. I don't know that 1/6 of humanity sees India as the ideal climate, but India's climate allows a lot of people to survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.