Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 12:55 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,077,968 times

Advertisements

West: California- pretty self-explanatory

South: North Carolina. I see so many similarities with a relatively empty coast. A somewhat triad of cities leading the helm. This is the state I think is most human geographically organized like Texas.

Northeast: Not to sure, but I guess, New York. I just don't want to take a state that's dominated by one city but all of them seem to be. My second choice would be Maryland.

Midwest: Ohio. Three cities with their own things going on. Lots of smaller cities dispersed as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2021, 08:58 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,360,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
In the Midwest I'd go with Minnesota.

Minnesotans, just like Texans, have a ton of state pride and massive egos which leads them to be very insular and unknowledgable about the rest of the country (polite way of saying they have their heads up their own arses). Both states are hog wild over a particular sport (football in Texas, hockey in Minnesota). Both states have very diverse biomes and contain parts of the Great Plains as well as dense forests and divergent forms of extreme climates. Both states view themselves as somewhat separate from their regions - IE Texans resent being considered part of the South and Minnesotans resent being included with the rest of the Midwest. Both states economies are largely driven by twin cities or conjoined metro areas (obviously Minnesota is more dominated by Minneapolis/St Paul than Texas is by Dallas/Ft Worth)
Minnesota is environmentally more homogenous than is Texas. There is no large mountain range. There is not large desert. Plus, Minnesota has more water area as aa % of its total area.

Texas economically is more regionally diverse because Houston, San Antonio, Austin and El Paso, are all metro areas of 1 million or more. Houston and DFW are the most significant but Austin, this century, has become much more significant economically. MSP's GDP ranks 14th while Austin's is 26th even though its population is smaller than the next 14 cities behind it.

Old 12-27-2021, 03:17 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
For the Northeast, I'd probably say Pennsylvania. One of the physically largest NE states. Has 2 large anchoring cities (Philly and Pittsburgh) on opposite sides of the state with lots of rural infill, kind of similar to Houston and Dallas. Huge high school football culture and a blue blood football program (Penn State) similar to Texas. Instead of oil, the state has steel for an industry.
For what it's worth, Pennsylvania is the birthplace of the oil industry in the United States. The first oil refinery was built in Pittsburgh, and the first oil well was drilled in Titusville. This history is why we have oil brands with names like Pennzoil and Quaker State.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:17 AM

17,804 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
For what it's worth, Pennsylvania is the birthplace of the oil industry in the United States. The first oil refinery was built in Pittsburgh, and the first oil well was drilled in Titusville. This history is why we have oil brands with names like Pennzoil and Quaker State.
The town I grew up in in Oklahoma had two major benefactors. Both oilmen. Both came there from Pittsburgh. Both left a legacy to our little town that is unmatched by very many small towns out there.

Grand buildings and homes. Brick streets in the old established neighborhoods. The coolest swimming pool and grounds anywhere.

Old 12-27-2021, 11:21 AM

6,815 posts, read 6,051,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Northeast: Not to sure, but I guess, New York. I just don't want to take a state that's dominated by one city but all of them seem to be. My second choice would be Maryland.
New Hampshire and Connecticut are multi-city Northeast states!

Old 12-27-2021, 05:25 PM

16,093 posts, read 10,757,764 times
One Texas is plenty.

Old 12-27-2021, 05:45 PM

41 posts, read 43,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
One Texas is plenty.
So was one California but look how that turned out.

Old 12-27-2021, 06:25 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,887,429 times
Eastern Washington State. Very similar to Texas politically, even the weather is somewhat similar with little precipitation and mild temps compared to the upper Midwest. (Obviously not including Houston with climate). But there is a general independent feel in Eastern Washington , as in independent from Western Washington.

Old 12-27-2021, 06:39 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,820,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar80 View Post
So was one California but look how that turned out.
If you’re implying there’s more than one California I’m not following. There is not a second California, or a second Texas. Who would be the second California?

Old 12-27-2021, 10:35 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The town I grew up in in Oklahoma had two major benefactors. Both oilmen. Both came there from Pittsburgh. Both left a legacy to our little town that is unmatched by very many small towns out there.

Grand buildings and homes. Brick streets in the old established neighborhoods. The coolest swimming pool and grounds anywhere.
Yeah, there is no place like Bartlesville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.