Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2021, 05:12 PM

41 posts, read 43,808 times

Advertisements

Just curious on what y'all thought was the most similar state to Texas in each region. Here's my take:

South: Tennessee (Both start with a T and E, have lots of music, and have been seeing an influx of Californians)

Northeast: New York (Both are very populated states, are known worldwide, and have very distinct cultures)

Great Lakes: Ohio (Both are very populated states with lots of open space, have mountains and a coastline, and good people that love their sports)

Midwest/Great Plains: Oklahoma (Seems kinda obvious right?)

West: Wyoming (aka The Cowboy State)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2021, 06:41 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,028,091 times
West: Arizona (big suburban cities, hot, historically conservative, large Mexican populations)

Northeast: New Hampshire (independent with a strong identity, conservative for the Northeast, no big urban cities)

Midwest: North Dakota I guess (open plains, oil, conservative)

South: I consider Oklahoma part of the South but if it doesn't count, maybe North Carolina?

Old 12-22-2021, 06:49 PM

11,848 posts, read 8,055,347 times
For South, it’s close between NC and Florida but I choose Florida because it more politically matches Texas. Multiple metro areas throughout the state, St.Pete and Austin have similar skylines, Tollroads everywhere, Horizontal Traffic Signals, Multicultural, Shares a shore with the Gulf of Mexico, Even working on a HSR between Miami and Orlando just like DFW and Houston are.

Old 12-22-2021, 08:47 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,862,513 times
Is it weird when I think Texas, I think outsized ego? On that note:

[Non-Texas] South: Georgia
Northeast: New York
Midwest: Illinois
Mountain: Colorado
West: California

Old 12-22-2021, 09:11 PM

12,187 posts, read 8,057,286 times
Northeast: New York (very trumpy parts, go big state proud attitude, pick up truck everywhere, very liberal cities, inferior complex to surrounding states)
Midwest: Illinois (dense built up liberal cities, rural conservative lands that dont consider the cities “real ___”, farmlands, etc.)
west: Arizona. (Very strong feelings on border, urban sprawl, white people cowboy stereotype, growing fast, hot, etc)
Southeast: Florida (big urban liberal cities with conservative countryside, fun, easygoing, etc)

Old 12-23-2021, 07:25 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,891,271 times
For the Northeast, I'd probably say Pennsylvania. One of the physically largest NE states. Has 2 large anchoring cities (Philly and Pittsburgh) on opposite sides of the state with lots of rural infill, kind of similar to Houston and Dallas. Huge high school football culture and a blue blood football program (Penn State) similar to Texas. Instead of oil, the state has steel for an industry.

Old 12-23-2021, 08:42 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,830,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Northeast: New York (very trumpy parts, go big state proud attitude, pick up truck everywhere, very liberal cities, inferior complex to surrounding states)
Midwest: Illinois (dense built up liberal cities, rural conservative lands that dont consider the cities “real ___”, farmlands, etc.)
west: Arizona. (Very strong feelings on border, urban sprawl, white people cowboy stereotype, growing fast, hot, etc)
Southeast: Florida (big urban liberal cities with conservative countryside, fun, easygoing, etc)
Only exurban people near Phoenix have strong opinions on the border. Literally everyone else here, in actual Phoenix and all the other cities, are more aligned with California and New Mexico when it comes to the border. I don’t think people seem to understand how unaligned politics of a place can be when less than 40% of the population votes in the federal, and even less in local.

We all HATED the wall, by the way.

Old 12-23-2021, 08:58 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,365,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar80 View Post
Just curious on what y'all thought was the most similar state to Texas in each region. Here's my take:

South: Tennessee (Both start with a T and E, have lots of music, and have been seeing an influx of Californians)

Northeast: New York (Both are very populated states, are known worldwide, and have very distinct cultures)

Great Lakes: Ohio (Both are very populated states with lots of open space, have mountains and a coastline, and good people that love their sports)

Midwest/Great Plains: Oklahoma (Seems kinda obvious right?)

West: Wyoming (aka The Cowboy State)
Agree with Tennessee.

NY- more gray area, because its really two different identities, NYC and everyone else.

Ohio is like TX is than its one of only a handful of states with three larges metro areas (California, Ohio,
Florida and TX) but the culture is not one I think of as really as very distinct or noteworthy by foreigners.

Wyoming - no, Colorado would be more like Texas because it has western culture but also big city flavor. A lot more Texans and Coloradans have ties and exchange travel than Texans and Wyomites.

Oklahoma, because of Oil & Gas and love of Football (50% of their college rosters tend to be Texas recruits).

Old 12-23-2021, 09:06 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,365,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
For South, it’s close between NC and Florida but I choose Florida because it more politically matches Texas. Multiple metro areas throughout the state, St.Pete and Austin have similar skylines, Tollroads everywhere, Horizontal Traffic Signals, Multicultural, Shares a shore with the Gulf of Mexico, Even working on a HSR between Miami and Orlando just like DFW and Houston are.
I just don't see St. Pete and Austin having similar skylines unless you are thinking Austin of 20 years ago.

Old 12-23-2021, 09:22 AM

12,187 posts, read 8,057,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Agree with Tennessee.

NY- more gray area, because its really two different identities, NYC and everyone else.

Ohio is like TX is than its one of only a handful of states with three larges metro areas (California, Ohio,
Florida and TX) but the culture is not one I think of as really as very distinct or noteworthy by foreigners.

Wyoming - no, Colorado would be more like Texas because it has western culture but also big city flavor. A lot more Texans and Coloradans have ties and exchange travel than Texans and Wyomites.

Oklahoma, because of Oil & Gas and love of Football (50% of their college rosters tend to be Texas recruits).
but LI and Staten Island give off major TX vibes with attitude and politics. NYC area isnt as liberal as you think it is. Lot of people are vocal about conservative views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.