Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2023, 09:22 AM

682 posts, read 421,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The southern influences would be a very large contingent of people from the South that have moved there over time, being close to the South geographically, being surrounded by the Bible Belt, and much milder climate with little winter weather at all compared to the majority of the Midwest.
Statistics would prove otherwise, Mainline Protestants outnumber Evangelicals and people of religion themselves are the minority, representing only 37% of the population, according to this site anyway.
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

I'd also be curious to know what your thoughts are on this article recently published about Kansas City.
https://currentpub.com/2023/02/27/ka...an-experience/

Last edited by Yac; 04-05-2023 at 09:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2023, 10:24 AM

16,717 posts, read 29,574,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
…

I'd also be curious to know what your thoughts are on this article recently published about Kansas City.
Great article.

Old 04-02-2023, 10:38 AM

4,681 posts, read 5,001,047 times
Quote:
The southern influences would be a very large contingent of people from the South that have moved there over time, being close to the South geographically, being surrounded by the Bible Belt, and much milder climate with little winter weather at all compared to the majority of the Midwest.
Counters to these points:

* If you include African-Americans, I can think of more midwestern cities which have "a very large contingent of people from the South that have moved there over time" than don't. Even if you exclude the Great Migration, places like Columbus and Dayton are known for having lots of people with origins in Kentucky, and I'm sure there are other examples.

* A lot of places in the Midwest are "close to the South geographically." I can get in my car on the near west side of Cleveland and be in West Virginia in two hours. Sure, WV isn't the deep south, but neither is anything near Kansas City (Memphis, a seven-hour drive away, would be about the closest, in my book). Enid, Okla., is 4 1/2 hours southwest of KC, and that's still considered by many, maybe even most, to be part of the Midwest.

* I would not call KC "surrounded by the Bible Belt." Is the mix of Christian denominations different from Chicago or Detroit? Yes. Is it typical of the lower Midwest (Columbus, Indy, etc.)? Also yes.

* It gets awfully cold in Kansas City in the winter, especially with the wind coming off the plains. It's one of the warmer midwestern cities, but its weather isn't qualitatively different from other spots in the Midwest. Sure, KC's weather has similarities both to Omaha and to Dallas, but which one is it more similar to?

Old 04-02-2023, 12:55 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,896,872 times
Baltimore

Old 04-02-2023, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post

* If you include African-Americans, I can think of more midwestern cities which have "a very large contingent of people from the South that have moved there over time" than don't. Even if you exclude the Great Migration, places like Columbus and Dayton are known for having lots of people with origins in Kentucky, and I'm sure there are other examples.

* A lot of places in the Midwest are "close to the South geographically." I can get in my car on the near west side of Cleveland and be in West Virginia in two hours. Sure, WV isn't the deep south, but neither is anything near Kansas City (Memphis, a seven-hour drive away, would be about the closest, in my book). Enid, Okla., is 4 1/2 hours southwest of KC, and that's still considered by many, maybe even most, to be part of the Midwest.

* I would not call KC "surrounded by the Bible Belt." Is the mix of Christian denominations different from Chicago or Detroit? Yes. Is it typical of the lower Midwest (Columbus, Indy, etc.)? Also yes.

* It gets awfully cold in Kansas City in the winter, especially with the wind coming off the plains. It's one of the warmer midwestern cities, but its weather isn't qualitatively different from other spots in the Midwest. Sure, KC's weather has similarities both to Omaha and to Dallas, but which one is it more similar to?
Very solid points. One thing to know however, is that rural or semi-rural Missouri, even as far north as places like Kirksville or Moberly, is still dominated by Evangelicals, making almost all of the state somewhat part of the Bible Belt. I don’t think Memphis would be the closest deep southern place to KC, but rather somewhere like Scott City, MO (5 hour drive), where the Mississippi Delta roughly begins.

Old 04-03-2023, 06:54 AM

26,433 posts, read 46,665,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
Statistics would prove otherwise, Mainline Protestants outnumber Evangelicals and people of religion themselves are the minority, representing only 37% of the population, according to this site anyway.
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

In terms of my comment of being surrounded by the Bible Belt, that is true for most of the rural counties that surround the KC metro area in Missouri. The article is just a typical KC homer piece, mostly on the varied history of the area. The biggest problem is the state line that splits in the metro area in half, the brain drain, and the constant relative economic decline compared to much faster growing metro areas in other areas of the country.

Last edited by Yac; 04-05-2023 at 09:13 AM..

Old 04-03-2023, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Southern Indiana definitely felt more southern than midwestern
Yes, it is much too far south for my liking, I'm trying to move back to the Upper Midwest.

Old 04-03-2023, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post

The weather point is a strawman argument as Omaha is closer geographically to KC than Dallas is. However, I would say Des Moines has far more in common with Omaha, Chicago, and Sioux Falls than KC when it comes to climate. All of those cities have four well defined seasons with an actual winter. KC has a very long hot and humid summer with a short winter that is often nonexistent with very little snow. Snow is a key Midwest (northern) characteristic. KC shuts down most of the time when any snow actually occurs, very common in most of the South.

Old 04-03-2023, 08:23 AM

4,681 posts, read 5,001,047 times
Quote:
The weather point is a strawman argument as Omaha is closer geographically to KC than Dallas is. However, I would say Des Moines has far more in common with Omaha, Chicago, and Sioux Falls than KC when it comes to climate. All of those cities have four well defined seasons with an actual winter. KC has a very long hot and humid summer with a short winter that is often nonexistent with very little snow. Snow is a key Midwest (northern) characteristic. KC shuts down most of the time when any snow actually occurs, very common in most of the South.
Well, I think the response to that is going to be, yeah, Omaha and KC are much closer to each other than Dallas and KC, and that's yet more evidence that Omaha and KC are in the same region, and Dallas and KC aren't.

If there are particular quirks of KC weather that make it more different from Omaha than, say, Columbus is from Cleveland or Indianapolis is from Chicago, and thus, would justify placing KC in an entirely different region (something we don't do for Columbus or Indianapolis), I'm all ears. I'm just not aware of any.

Old 04-03-2023, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Heavy snow is not a key Midwestern characteristic, that is only true for the Upper Midwest and Northeast. Most of the US is a mix of humid subtropical and hot-summer humid continental, of which Kansas City, Columbus, Indianapolis, St. Louis and Cincinnati are in the transition zone between the two. These cities all being near the historic mean center of the US population as well.

Last edited by Doughboy1918; 04-03-2023 at 08:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.