Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2023, 08:18 AM

327 posts, read 222,713 times

Advertisements

In the 21st century, most people who live in Maryland neither identify with the South nor consider themselves to be Southerners, but will acknowledge the Southern heritage (in parts) of their state. Every once in a while, you will observe some vestiges of Southern culture in Maryland, but I think most of Maryland is decidedly Northern, especially compared to other Upper South states, such as Kentucky and Oklahoma, for example.

In my opinion, the United States Census Bureau attributes too much land mass to the Southern region. Aside from Kentucky, most people who live “in the borderlands” of the North and South seem to identify with the North (in real life). Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas have a lot of residents who do not consider themselves to be Southerners. And the people who live further south don’t consider them to be Southerners, either. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2023, 11:52 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
In the 21st century, most people who live in Maryland neither identify with the South nor consider themselves to be Southerners, but will acknowledge the Southern heritage (in parts) of their state. Every once in a while, you will observe some vestiges of Southern culture in Maryland, but I think most of Maryland is decidedly Northern, especially compared to other Upper South states, such as Kentucky and Oklahoma, for example.

In my opinion, the United States Census Bureau attributes too much land mass to the Southern region. Aside from Kentucky, most people who live “in the borderlands” of the North and South seem to identify with the North (in real life). Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas have a lot of residents who do not consider themselves to be Southerners. And the people who live further south don’t consider them to be Southerners, either. LOL.
Are these people whose family history goes back generations in MD, or are the newcomers whose families came to the state after WWII?

Old 03-04-2023, 03:04 PM

2,368 posts, read 1,855,557 times
I still can't get over the concept of Virginia as a northern state. I get calling DC northern but NOVA is only 10% of Virginia's land area and not even a majority of the population. the other 90% of Virginia is unambiguously southern in character. Culturally somewhere like Danville, Virginia is as southern a place there ever was

Old 03-15-2023, 10:37 PM

37 posts, read 20,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Are these people whose family history goes back generations in MD, or are the newcomers whose families came to the state after WWII?
Both. My family has ties to Maryland pre WW2 and have never identified as Southerners. But there has always been a minority of people in Maryland who do. It's nothing new. But trying to claim Maryland as Southern is a losing battle. Something they should have learned already .

Old 03-20-2023, 05:34 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post

Personally, I consider VA to be Southern, though the most populated areas of the state generally don't that much traditional Southern culture. Rural and small town VA is still definitely Southern.

Some areas of WV have some Southern culture, as well as TX, OK, and MO. I wouldn't rate these states as "majority Southern," though.

Old 03-20-2023, 09:58 AM

10,110 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessUrSelf View Post
Both. My family has ties to Maryland pre WW2 and have never identified as Southerners. But there has always been a minority of people in Maryland who do. It's nothing new. But trying to claim Maryland as Southern is a losing battle. Something they should have learned already .
It's not a losing battle per se. It's more so that people don't know what they're talking about.

Old 03-22-2023, 07:15 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
It's not a losing battle per se. It's more so that people don't know what they're talking about.
How many people have you convinced that Maryland is a flat-out Southern state that previously thought otherwise?

Old 03-23-2023, 07:49 AM

10,110 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How many people have you convinced that Maryland is a flat-out Southern state that previously thought otherwise?
I don't know. It doesn't change the fact that MD is a southern state, though.

Old 03-23-2023, 04:21 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutiny77 View Post
how many people have you convinced that maryland is a flat-out southern state that previously thought otherwise?
:d

Old 03-23-2023, 05:35 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Literally no one. He's been fighting this battle here for years. I actually commend their effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.