Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2023, 03:05 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Not true. I never intended on staying in Baltimore my whole life. We picked NC because it's in between Augusta, where my wife is from, and Baltimore.
Congrats on your move to Charlotte KodeBlue. I interviewed there for a job a few years ago and visited a few times and absolutely loved the city and surrounding area. It was only issues related for the job itself that prevented me from moving, but I would have moved in a heartbeat. I still remember meeting up with some friends in the area and going out in Uptown, and had a great time. I had even scoped out a really nice apartment, if things had worked out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2023, 06:17 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Baltimore is on its own in that category. The only other Southern city for which that might be said is New Orleans which has always been a regional oddity from the very start but was also never quite as industrial as Baltimore.
Isn't (or wasn't) Birmingham also industrial?

Old 01-07-2023, 02:29 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
What's the point in having these arguments everyday if there is no definition of the south.
The point is that it is the very fact that such issues aren't very clearly defined by any authoritative source is what generates such lively discussion in the first place--hence, this forum.

Why would there be pages of discussion about any such issue if you could just do a simple copy and paste of the answer?

Old 01-08-2023, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Isn't (or wasn't) Birmingham also industrial?
Yes but also relatively young, having been founded after the Civil War

Old 01-09-2023, 11:34 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times
I love how every few years this topic is brought up, and the line for the South keeps moving south. There's a difference between geography and culture. Just because a city has an influx of northern migrants, does not make it northern. I would make the case that there's a lot more in common with rural Midwesterners and rural southerners, then say someone from Richmond, VA proper and another person from Danville, VA (as an example). The culture is no longer north v. south. Instead, it's rural v. urban.

Old 01-09-2023, 01:48 PM

14,015 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Anyone who thinks North v South doesn’t matter please please go to Vermont or the Berkshires and compare it to rural Alabama. They’re not remotely similar.

Old 01-09-2023, 02:33 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Anyone who thinks North v South doesn’t matter please please go to Vermont or the Berkshires and compare it to rural Alabama. They’re not remotely similar.
I live in Upstate NY near Vermont and the Berkshires. I'm originally from WV (some might consider southern). There honestly isn't a big difference between where I live now and where I am originally from.

The problem with your argument is that you selected Vermont and the Berkshires to compare with rural Alabama. Both are tourist areas that attract people from the Northeast. Yeah they're different from Alabama, but those are liberal hotbeds. There's plenty of places in NY, NH, Maine, and even Vermont that a person from Alabama would feel right at home! The town I live in, in the middle of the Adirondacks, is covered in Trump flags, guns, jacked up trucks, etc... People love the outdoors, fishing, hunting, country music, tobacco products, Fox News, etc...

Sure you can find exceptions to the rule. But I could also find conservatives and country music lovers in Midtown.

So, yes. Rural America is similar to rural American, no matter what region.

Old 01-09-2023, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I love how every few years this topic is brought up, and the line for the South keeps moving south. There's a difference between geography and culture. Just because a city has an influx of northern migrants, does not make it northern. I would make the case that there's a lot more in common with rural Midwesterners and rural southerners, then say someone from Richmond, VA proper and another person from Danville, VA (as an example). The culture is no longer north v. south. Instead, it's rural v. urban.
Yes but not mutually exclusive. As a matter of fact, they often occupy widely overlapping spheres.

Old 01-09-2023, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Not true. I never intended on staying in Baltimore my whole life. We picked NC because it's in between Augusta, where my wife is from, and Baltimore.
That doesn't mean you wouldn't ever leave though and it's clear from many of your past posts that Baltimore's continued decline played a part in your decision--as has obviously been the case for many others over the past few decades.

Either way, to say that Baltimore is just the same today as it was 200 years ago is just asinine--and that's without even considering any sort of past or present regional identification as the context.

Old 01-09-2023, 04:31 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Congrats on your move to Charlotte KodeBlue. I interviewed there for a job a few years ago and visited a few times and absolutely loved the city and surrounding area. It was only issues related for the job itself that prevented me from moving, but I would have moved in a heartbeat. I still remember meeting up with some friends in the area and going out in Uptown, and had a great time. I had even scoped out a really nice apartment, if things had worked out.
I like it here. It's warmer in the winter, less snow, less crime, less traffic, and some new building pops up almost daily. Uptown is surprisingly busy as well. You can also legally protect yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.