Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2022, 07:56 AM

16,713 posts, read 29,555,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Southern United States
Alabama
Arkansas
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maryland
Mississippi
North Carolina
Oklahoma
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Virginia
West Virginia
Washington, DC

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States
No. Not accurate.
Read posts further above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2022, 08:05 AM

10,117 posts, read 9,989,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Whoever said North Carolina is not southern? That seems absurd. These are the places I've heard be debated:

- Baltimore / DC. It's not too hard to understand this one; these cities are very connected with the other cities in the northeast corridor. The culture is more similar to Philadelphia than it is to major southern cities
- NoVA - At the end of the day this area is an extension of DC
- South Florida - Feels more like the Caribbean, has a Cuban culture that has no association with the traditional southern culture
- Missouri - St. Louis feels midwestern, but the areas to the southeast are quite southern
- Oklahoma - 50/50 mixture of southern and great plains elements
- Texas - I think most agree that East Texas and Houston are southern. West of I35, north of Austin is part of the great plains, El Paso is in the mountain west, South Texas has many ties with Northern Mexico, ultimately it's just too geographically big of a state to put into a single cultural region, particularly one rooted a thousand miles to the east.

For the nothernmost southern city, I think I go with Louisville. DC/Baltimore do have some southern elements, but not enough for me to classify as the south.
Both Baltimoere and DC are southern. Any southern traits that the 2 regions are lacking does not make them any less southern, but rather goes to show that southern cities have those traits as well. Also, neither city is anything like Philly. Different culture from a different region.

Old 12-30-2022, 08:14 AM

20,521 posts, read 33,572,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
White people who aren't from the South don't think it is. Which is why people try moving the goalposts on popular areas like Northern Virginia, Charlotte, Raleigh, Miami. So they can still be the "socially acceptable" non-Southern Americans while getting all that the South has to offer them.

Some areas like Miami and Northern Virginia being on kind of the boundary one can argue of the Southern US has made it so that people can make those arguments that they are not Southern because they are too close to other regions and get too much influence from other regions. But I have yet to see an argument given for why Miami is not southern that does not also apply to New Orleans, or other big southern US cities like Atlanta or Houston. No one denies New Orleans being Southern, but the two share traits that make them unique.

The real question for this thread is what is the northernmost city with a SHARED HISTORY with the Southern US? While all American cities share a lengthy history with each other, after all we share a country, there were crucial moments that occurred that made defining cultural regions. Like New England is very well-defined as Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island, why? Because in the 1600s and 1700s this landmass was owned by Great Britain while New York was owned by the Dutch as New Amsterdam at the time. Again - why are people upset that the South is defined by the 1800s Civil War and not the pre-US times for New England which is even older? The logic once again falters, because it's not based on anything actually sound, it's based on discriminatory "us vs them" logic in which the South is the oppressed and discriminated and the "us" is the privileged and respected group. People don't want to be in the perceived minority group, they want to keep their "elevated" status as a non-Southern American.

Pre-colonial times is what defined New England, but what other historical events defined other cultural regions of the US? The Western states were heavily defined by the Manifest Destiny is another example.
I been preaching this for a minute on why people deny Miami and the rest of South Florida to be included in the South.

Old 12-30-2022, 08:17 AM

21,691 posts, read 12,825,238 times
Prolly where Im at, Charm City.

Old 12-30-2022, 10:43 AM

26,432 posts, read 46,631,998 times
Louisville acted like Birmingham, Alabama when the arctic front hit before the holidays. Apparently, the lack of quality housing stock with better insulation is very poor in most of the moderate to lower income areas of the city. In contrast, my better built 1970s era house in southern Indiana- I've never dripped water to prevent possible freezing of pipes in the winter even with subzero low temperatures.

Old 12-30-2022, 12:10 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,887,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
No. Not accurate.
Read posts further above.
Yes. Accurate.
Read posts further above (mentioning the US Census).

Old 12-30-2022, 12:14 PM

17,257 posts, read 15,446,776 times
I'd like for someone to go to Pork n Beans in Miami and tell me they're not in the deep South.

Old 12-30-2022, 12:40 PM

10,117 posts, read 9,989,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I'd like for someone to go to Pork n Beans in Miami and tell me they're not in the deep South.
They're in the deep south anywhere in Florida. Just because it is what most people think of when they think of southern, does not change that.

Old 12-30-2022, 12:51 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,973,821 times
What really is southern about Baltimore? To me its like Philly light.

Even their accent sounds northeastern. Check out Stavros Halkias. I thought he was from NJ. He is greek and has a nasally, front of the face accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl878TKI3tw

Old 12-30-2022, 01:08 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,819,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Morgantown WV at 39.62n

for major cities Kansas City Missouri at 39.1n
Wikipedia says: At the outbreak of hostilities of the Civil War in April 1861, this location was part of Virginia and was the northernmost point in any slave state. Chester remains the northernmost point in the Southern United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.