Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 11:47 AM

21,839 posts, read 13,058,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Wouldn't OP also run into similar issues at places with 'tons of Asians' on the mainland?

Sounds like he's dealing with 3 different situations:
BS he has to put up with because he's white.
BS the wife and kids have to put up with because they're Asian.
BS from people who have trouble with interracial families.

I think the third one is relatively uncommon in 2021 and usually don't go beyond the occasional dagger looks. He might get it more often from Asian men who think he poached one of their own than from white racists so staying away from other Asians might be the way to go to minimize it. The same goes for the first type of BS.

On the other hand in places where there are few Asians his wife might get covid related hate crime attacks while she goes shopping at Costco. While most of those aren't physical some were and there were fatalities. Even places like NYC and Bay Area had seen violent anti-Asian hate crime so I don't know how you can avoid it, but at least there are plenty of other targets around for the local hate crime perpetrator and maybe his wife can go out in groups with others like her.

Being one of the very few students of your race at school really sucks. I really hope OP does not move to a mostly white area just to avoid BS going his way.
I’ve only heard this about Hawaii. No where on the mainland has a similar history/social context and construct to Hawaii… I can’t say anything else on it. Idk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 11:50 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,281,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I’ve only heard this about Hawaii. No where on the mainland has a similar history/social context and construct to Hawaii… I can’t say anything else on it. Idk.
Yep. Hawaii can be problematic for several different groups and for several unique reasons that don’t apply to the mainland US.

Anywhere on the west coast is likely fine for the OP - and really any major city (like top 10-15 metro population) I doubt would be an issue.

Old 01-19-2022, 11:58 AM

6,903 posts, read 4,371,800 times
No place on the mainland would have the Hawaii setup, so pretty much everywhere else would work. Whites and Americanized Asians tend to cluster together in the same usually middle-class and above neighborhoods these days in most metros, and I'd say there's practically no-one in those circles who cares about a mixed Asian/white couple as it's pretty common now.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:19 PM

662 posts, read 368,652 times
Quote:
Wouldn't OP also run into similar issues at places with 'tons of Asians' on the mainland?

Sounds like he's dealing with 3 different situations:
BS he has to put up with because he's white.
BS the wife and kids have to put up with because they're Asian.
BS from people who have trouble with interracial families.

I think the third one is relatively uncommon in 2021 and usually don't go beyond the occasional dagger looks. He might get it more often from Asian men who think he poached one of their own than from white racists so staying away from other Asians might be the way to go to minimize it. The same goes for the first type of BS.

On the other hand in places where there are few Asians his wife might get covid related hate crime attacks while she goes shopping at Costco. While most of those aren't physical some were and there were fatalities. Even places like NYC and Bay Area had seen violent anti-Asian hate crime so I don't know how you can avoid it, but at least there are plenty of other targets around for the local hate crime perpetrator and maybe his wife can go out in groups with others like her.

Being one of the very few students of your race at school really sucks. I really hope OP does not move to a mostly white area just to avoid BS going his way.
Most of the recent hate crimes committed against Asians have been from African Americans. The media just chooses not to report it. Pretty much the same thing happening to many Jewish Americans.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:25 PM

36,705 posts, read 67,794,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
Most of the recent hate crimes committed against Asians have been from African Americans. The media just chooses not to report it. Pretty much the same thing happening to many Jewish Americans.
The media reports it here. It's very sad that we all know what racism and bigoty feels like and we still do this to others. Pathetic.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Move to the Bay Area. Many, many mixed white/Asian couples, in and around San Francisco from what I've seen there. I suspect that whatever social pressure on the white guy in these situations might come from the spouses's friends and family for marrying outside the race, rather than the general populace--who basically, it seems, doesn't give a s**t because there are so many mixed marriages there.
Regionally speaking, the Bay Area is the obvious answer by far, just from the standpoint of visibility and integration alone- but no place is perfect.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGDlife View Post
Honolulu was the most racist place because of me being white. My kids being half white. Dealt with endless BS all because of not being “local” but my Vietnamese wife was automatically “local”. I’d have people waiting to fight me for going surfing, get denied service at places, charged more, not promoted. I lived there for 5 years and the place is amazing, the people are straight diarrhea.
Odd since the North Shore's most prized surf spots are almost exclusively patronized by white men.

But I dont have the right to invalidate your experience as I know that racism and prejudice exist everywhere-however I dont buy that your kids are discriminated against for being Hapa, especially White+Asian. They most likely look 'local'.

But I digress.

Old 01-19-2022, 01:58 PM

1,386 posts, read 959,230 times
Quote:
I'm certainly not saying there's no racism towards Asians in some cities, but saying Honolulu is one of the most racist places toward Asians is just ridiculous. If you're Asian you would know. If you just want to point to random examples of harassment on subways or parking lots as evidence then every city in the US is racist.

Wasn't Atlanta where the Asian spa shootings happened? What are you doing recommending such a dangerous place to a fellow Asian?
That was an isolated incident, it is definitely not a dangerous place for Asians. For Koreans particularly, Atlanta is considered one of the best places to live.

Old 01-19-2022, 04:41 PM

2,905 posts, read 2,223,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
That was an isolated incident, it is definitely not a dangerous place for Asians. For Koreans particularly, Atlanta is considered one of the best places to live.
Yes I do agree with that. My point was one shouldn't base one's search on high profile incidents, as they can be found just about everywhere.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:44 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,256,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
Yeah Atlanta and many parts of Florida do not seem to be the friendliest places towards Asians based on news reports and reputation but I do not have lived experience. Orlando might be pretty welcoming.
Isolated incidents committed by a severely disturbed individual are not much of a reflection of the friendliness of metro Atlanta or the Southeast in general. Asian populations are growing rapidly in this area and are a very influential presence in many industries and neighborhoods.

Orlando is certainly a very diverse metro area as well with a large share of communities that have no majority race or ethnicity, but a solid presence of all major population groups. The only major population center in Florida that I'd be wary of is Miami-Dade County away from the more cosmopolitan coastal sections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.