Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 07:16 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,741,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I’m curious where exactly would be the best part of Atlanta. I hear it’s Alpharetta and John’s Creek, but then there’s Buckhead which I know is also nice…
Lot's.

East Cobb
Johns Creek
Alpharetta
Milton
Roswell
Woodstock
Vinings
Buckhead
Ansley Park
Virginia Highlands
Chastain Park
Duluth
Suwanee

If you're looking for a rule of thumb, it's generally above I-20. In a simple generic sense, picture atlanta on a map as mickey mouse's head. If you live inside the ears, you're generally in a top notch suburb with good schools and the like.

East Cobb/Milton/Alpharetta are the best in terms of a classic suburb close to corporate jobs, with great school and good safety. But like I said, many more options than that.

If you have a early 90's drug/crime view of Atlanta as a metro, it's super outdated. North suburbs are very affluent and getting moreso by the day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 08:55 AM

2,381 posts, read 2,364,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
They are all good for that.

“Best” would depend on other things: job location, desired type of house/neighborhood, etc.

Other Metro Atlanta Areas with similar attributes:

Peachtree City
Milton
West Cobb
South Cherokee
East Cherokee
Union Grove
Ola
South Fayetteville
Mill Creek/Northern Gwinnett
Northgate Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Lot's.

East Cobb
Johns Creek
Alpharetta
Milton
Roswell
Woodstock
Vinings
Buckhead
Ansley Park
Virginia Highlands
Chastain Park
Duluth
Suwanee

If you're looking for a rule of thumb, it's generally above I-20. In a simple generic sense, picture atlanta on a map as mickey mouse's head. If you live inside the ears, you're generally in a top notch suburb with good schools and the like.

East Cobb/Milton/Alpharetta are the best in terms of a classic suburb close to corporate jobs, with great school and good safety. But like I said, many more options than that.

If you have a early 90's drug/crime view of Atlanta as a metro, it's super outdated. North suburbs are very affluent and getting moreso by the day
Thank you both! I haven’t seriously considered Atlanta before, but I’ve been looking at homes on Zillow lately and it’s hard to ignore the value the north Atlanta suburbs offer. Even compared to Tampa, homes in places like Alpharetta and John’s Creek are much cheaper. I like Buckhead quite a bit and from what I’ve seen I think I’d like Alpharetta (Avalon is my kind of place). I’ll be up there in a couple months and will explore some of the areas listed here.

And for anyone wondering, this is for a white/Asian family so we’re still on topic!

Old 01-21-2022, 09:26 AM

185 posts, read 138,997 times
I'm an old Hapa. The folks here who are poo-pooing the Honolulu-is-racist experience are wrong. I've spent lots of time there, and one of my brothers and his white wife moved there for their company for a short time. After about 6 months my sister-in-law was having a nervous breakdown over the racism.

The mostly Japanese-descent people at her company respectfully called her "Auntie" to her face but conspired against her behind her back and shunned her socially. My brother had an executive position and was given a hard time about hiring candidates from the "Mainland" and was told he should hire employee's family members - because that's how it's always been done. This is at a Fortune 500 company.

The other islands are not as bad. Maybe Hilo on the Big Island but I don't know.

Anyway, as a Hapa who has lived in many States and never personally experienced racism, Southern California is the most mixed and accepting of Asians. But not Blacks, sadly. One of my nephews who was born and raised in the Maryland suburbs visited and loved seeing that there were plenty of people who looked like him. (Plus all the great food.) He moved there as soon as he could.

And unlike what I've seen elsewhere, including NY - the Asian community in Southern California is not enclaved - they are integrated. Yes, there are FOB enclaves and good school enclaves but even those are integrating.

I would suggest also that the schools in your desired areas may be more racist than when I grew up, just due to the extreme focus on race lately. That's difficult to determine in advance. And you can have that kind of racism in the schools but not in the neighborhood, if that makes sense.

Old 01-22-2022, 01:29 PM

828 posts, read 698,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
How nice for you, but are you saying those hate crime reports are all made up?
Not all crimes committed by persons of one race against persons of another are hate crimes.

Old 01-22-2022, 06:41 PM

125 posts, read 123,108 times
We are going to choose Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area.

Old 01-22-2022, 06:57 PM

94,177 posts, read 125,031,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGDlife View Post
What part and why?

Old 01-23-2022, 08:01 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,741,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGDlife View Post
I’ve got 20+ years there, if I can help in any way please let me know

Old 01-23-2022, 09:51 AM

2,898 posts, read 2,212,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What part and why?
Maybe he wanted to go to a place that is least like Hawaii.
Unless his Vietnamese wife is of Hmong descent the community and amenities in the area will likely be second rate. But at least the place seems pretty open minded when it comes to race.

Old 01-23-2022, 11:12 AM

1,379 posts, read 913,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Maybe he wanted to go to a place that is least like Hawaii.
Unless his Vietnamese wife is of Hmong descent the community and amenities in the area will likely be second rate. But at least the place seems pretty open minded when it comes to race.
Why do you think the communities and amenities will be second rate?

Last edited by Kaszilla; 01-23-2022 at 11:23 AM..

Old 01-23-2022, 12:10 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,212,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Why do you think the communities and amenities will be second rate?
Because they're so small. You can't really find good authentic Chinese food in the area for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.