Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 11:40 AM

9,977 posts, read 5,675,804 times

Advertisements

Baseball: Vin Scully all day every day.

While Harry Caray is mostly associated with Chicago baseball, Cubs in particular, he actually spent the bulk of his career with the Cards. He was good for entertainment and crowd engagement but his baseball knowledge was vastly overshadowed during all the years he was paired up with the human baseball knowledge database known as Steve Stone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 12:06 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
For the Tigers, Ernie Harwell was a legend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
From my childhood on radio at night
Harry Caray and Gebby Street, Cardinals
Buddy Blattner and Dizzy Dean, Browns
Bert Wilson and Jack Quinlan, Cubs
Bob Elson, White Sox
Van Patrick, Tigers
Jim Dudley, Indians
Waite Hoyt, Reds
Earl Gillespie and Blaine Walsh, Braves
Rosie Rosewell, Pirates
Bob Heiss, Packers
Joe Boland, FB Chi Cardinals
Foster Hewitt, Totonto Leafs

Old 03-29-2022, 04:31 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,597,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
For the Tigers, Ernie Harwell was a legend.
Harwell didn't move to Detroit until ten years later, but you're right, he was a legend. The first nationallt televised games were, I think, 52, with Dizzy Dean and Buddy Blattner, and they were absolute screamers. Livr TV was amazing.

Old 03-29-2022, 10:27 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,667,412 times
I can't sit here and say with authority because I don't necessarily go forth and listen to area local radio/TV announcers that often, and I give credit to those who do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jqOASqRXYs Tom Hamilton is to me, one of the best in the business as baseball goes. Not just the home run call, but just really a perfect voice and delivery.

Old 03-30-2022, 09:52 AM

On the Worst end, I've already mentioned how bad Kevin Harlan and Kenny Albert are, so I also have to say Lindsey Nelson.

Joe Buck's attitude infuriates me, but I have to say he is the most polished professional sportscaster I've ever heard.

Greatest stadium PA announcers:
Sherm Feller, Fenway, Bob Sheppard, Yankee Stadium, Pat Piper, Wrigley

Just looked a top-50 hockey announcers site, saw my friend Howie Meeker at #9, so I guess I have to list him. I also knew #3 Bob Cole but I have nothing to say.

Old 03-30-2022, 12:23 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Gary, Keith, and Ron are the best broadcast team around, IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxLvIE9XhuA

Old 03-30-2022, 01:18 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,084,311 times
A few more:

Dick Enberg - What a voice. I could listen to him do NFL, college bowl games, college hoops. Hell, Enberg even made the French Open sound exciting.

Bill Raftery - College basketball "With the kiss" and "Send it in, Jerome". Legendary.

Old 03-30-2022, 01:32 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,084,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Oh that’s generational. I more familiar with “I live Waltah!” And “Tommy points” heinsohn and Gorman was an undefeated duo in my eyes. I used to live for the FSN New England Celtics game broadcast- such in-depth pre and post game coverage too. Real personal and slow paced. They used to have like flint interview Paul Pierce and just talk about summer plans, childhoods etc. lots of funny graphics tooAttachment 235867

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHFVXmAbEjY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbEQfmwh-fg

His Celtics bias left me laughing, badly, every game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbqNxnYjEBM
In all honesty, Johnny Most is much more than generational. He's in the basketball HOF for a reason. "Havlicek stole the ball" is one of the 10 most famous calls (TV or Radio) in all of sports. It was voted "the most famous radio call in the history of basketball" by the NBA. And yeah, Heinsohn is a nut for sure and one of, if not, the most partial broadcasters in pro sports lol.

Interestingly enough, several of the most famous all-time Celtics are born and bred New Yorkers. The Architect - Red Auerbach (Brooklyn), Johnny Most (Bronx), Bob Cousy (Queens) and Tommy Heinsohn (Jersey City).

Old 03-30-2022, 01:41 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
Agree—hated Lindsey Nelson….can add Brent Mussburger for me—particularly hated him and the entire NFL Today crew. Also not a fan of Ron Darling—whiny voice—and I always thought Tim McCarver was highly overrated.

On a positive note Bob Sheppard, aka The Voice of God.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2010/07/11...1910-2010/amp/

Since we are adding topics…..Robert Merrill the best Star Spangled Banner; Kate Smith, best God Bless America (Flyers) and Roger Doucet, O Canada (Canadiens).

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
On the Worst end, I've already mentioned how bad Kevin Harlan and Kenny Albert are, so I also have to say Lindsey Nelson.

Joe Buck's attitude infuriates me, but I have to say he is the most polished professional sportscaster I've ever heard.

Greatest stadium PA announcers:
Sherm Feller, Fenway, Bob Sheppard, Yankee Stadium, Pat Piper, Wrigley

Just looked a top-50 hockey announcers site, saw my friend Howie Meeker at #9, so I guess I have to list him. I also knew #3 Bob Cole but I have nothing to say.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-30-2022 at 01:50 PM..

Old 03-30-2022, 08:56 PM

Gotta mention Wayne Messner famous Chicago PA announcer and anthem singer who hadto deal with Chicago Stadium acoustics and crowd. Drowned ou by the crowd at famous game in 1991, and a Chicago tradition ever since' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvpxVE_kQXg

Last edited by arr430; 03-30-2022 at 09:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.