Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 04:45 PM

7,410 posts, read 6,553,115 times

Advertisements

Baseball: Mel Allen (NYC) v Vin Scully (LA) v Harry Caray (Chi)?
Basketball: Chick Hearn (LA) v Johnny Most (Boston)?
Football: ??
Hockey: Marv Albert (NY) v Doc Emerick (?)??

Any others?

Football is tough. I know the national announcers, less familiar with local other than Dick Enberg when he called LA Ram games or Marty Glickman call of NY Giants.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-27-2022 at 04:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2022, 06:11 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Never heard of Johnny Most. The best basketball announcer in Boston was Tommy Heinsohn bar none.

Old 03-27-2022, 07:15 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,026,405 times
Most people will likely go with who they listened to growing up.

There have been a lot of great baseball announcers. Houston has had some good ones: Milo Hamilton and Gene Elston. Robert Ford, our current baseball announcer is one of the few black announcers in the game, and he is good.

Hard to vote against Vin Scully, but I also like Jon Miller who was calling the SF Giant games. When I was growing up I used to listen to the radio at night and try to pick up baseball stations from St. Louis and Cincinnati. I thought Marty Brennaman was good during the Big Red Machine years.

On Saturdays it was hard to beat Joe Garagiola and Tony Kubeck on the NBC Game of the week.

I never enjoyed Harry Caray or the WGN broadcasts. I’m sure they are good now as they took Jim Deshais from the Astros. I also never enjoyed the TBS broadcasters growing up. Bear in mind in those days WGN and TBS were the only super cable channels available.

Other Sports announcers don’t stand out as much to me. I don’t think they develop as much of a relationship with the listeners the way baseball announcers do. We had a good basketball announcer in Houston, Gene Peterson. He was the biggest homer but boy did he make the games exciting. I think Marv Albert may be the best for basketball.

For Football the best we ever had in Houston was Ron Franklin. He passed away recently after calling many college games for ESPN.

For Hockey we had Jerry Trupiano…. Not sure where he ended up when we lost hockey in Houston.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane! :-)

Old 03-27-2022, 07:52 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,087,937 times
Marv Albert (NBA/Knicks)
Ian Eagle (Nets/NCAA)
Al Michaels/John Madden (Football)

Old 03-27-2022, 07:55 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Jerry Remy

Old 03-27-2022, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Never heard of Johnny Most. The best basketball announcer in Boston was Tommy Heinsohn bar none.
Johnny Most was legendary. "Havlicek stole the ball" and the Bird steal and pass to DJ for the layup are the two "Most" famous calls I remember.

Old 03-27-2022, 08:21 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
The quality of voice is my big thing. I hate to listen to some voices, like Marv Albert, Dick Vitale, or Beth Mowins. Others are great...Shannon Sharpe, Brock Huard, Tim Kirckjian, Molly Qerem, Kendrick Perkins...

Old 03-27-2022, 08:31 PM

Kevin Harlan is another great football announcer. Also does NBA and college hoops. KC based.

Old 03-27-2022, 08:35 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Johnny Most was legendary. "Havlicek stole the ball" and the Bird steal and pass to DJ for the layup are the two "Most" famous calls I remember.
Oh that’s generational. I more familiar with “I live Waltah!” And “Tommy points” heinsohn and Gorman was an undefeated duo in my eyes. I used to live for the FSN New England Celtics game broadcast- such in-depth pre and post game coverage too. Real personal and slow paced. They used to have like flint interview Paul Pierce and just talk about summer plans, childhoods etc. lots of funny graphics tooBest Sports Announcers by City/League-b2e73784-f129-4f54-a821-66c17b5a7800.jpeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHFVXmAbEjY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbEQfmwh-fg

His Celtics bias left me laughing, badly, every game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbqNxnYjEBM

Old 03-28-2022, 12:03 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,601,915 times
Baseball: Harry Caray (stl}, Chuck Thompson (bal), josh Lewin (det)
Baseball -- color: Keith Hernandez (nymet), Tom Paciorek (cws), Mike Shannon (stl)
Hockey: Doc Emerick (netwk), Danny Gallivan (mtl) Dan Kelly (stl)
Football: Pat Summerall (net), Al Michaels (net), Harry Kallas (phi)
Basketball: Sean McDonough (net), Howard Cosell (net), Michelle Tafoya (min)

Kevin Harlan and Kenny Albert are the worst. I can't stand either of them. Can't really even tell them apart.

Put on the '52 WS and listen to Mel Allen o Youtube. He was absolutely awful, but he made the October air crackle with anticipation. Allen and Barber used to do the Series on nationat TV, without a color sidekick.

Last edited by arr430; 03-28-2022 at 12:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.