Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 11:07 PM

1,029 posts, read 561,806 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles’ largest industries, according to L.A County’s Economic Development Corporation:

https://laedc.org/industry-cluster-development/

Films/Entertaining Industry

Bioscience (Cal Tech, UCLA, USC, Cedar-Sinai, City of Hope, Kecker Graduate Institute, Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute…)

Aerospace (JPL, Northrop Grumman, Boeing, Lockheed, Raytheon Space X, Virgin Galactic.)

Fashion (L.A.’s fashion industry ranks number one in apparel, leather and related products, wholesale of accessories, the furniture industry and is a leader in textile manufacturing and beauty, makeup and skincare products.)

Banking/Financial Services

Tourism

Transportation (20 automobile design studios including Tesla, General Motors, Kia, Ford….etc. Plus Cal State L.A. is home to the largest university-located hydrogen fueling facility in the nation while UCLA features a research center dedicated to hydrogen engineering.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2023, 06:48 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I obviously haven't done it, but I know Google Maps is pretty accurate. 55 minutes I buy depending on time you leave. But your colleague there claimed 30 minutes and will probably tell us next that he does it 5 times a week, and as an outsider I just wouldn't understand.

The difference between myself and you (and others here) is that I don't actually care one bit about Houston. I just know that it's not like L.A. which was my original point. And I think that's actually rather obvious. It's rather apparent that you in particular have some incentives to play up the similarities though.
I grew up in one city and live in the other. I know what the hell I'm talking about.

Perhaps you missed the part where I said Houston isn’t much like LA over and over again on this thread. To be frank, if not for your constant degrading and uneducated statements, this probably would have died a while ago and people would be back on topic.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 09-01-2023 at 07:14 AM..

Old 09-01-2023, 12:22 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I grew up in one city and live in the other. I know what the hell I'm talking about.

Perhaps you missed the part where I said Houston isn’t much like LA over and over again on this thread. To be frank, if not for your constant degrading and uneducated statements, this probably would have died a while ago and people would be back on topic.

You have an emotional stake in it, and it's obvious here and in other threads on the subject of Houston and L.A., Texas and California. I just look at it from an observer perspective.

If I have a stake in this, it's that the way users on this forum try to find patterns and similarities everywhere even if completely irrelevant is a pet peeve of mine.

Old 09-01-2023, 12:32 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
You have an emotional stake in it, and it's obvious here and in other threads on the subject of Houston and L.A., Texas and California. I just look at it from an observer perspective.

If I have a stake in this, it's that the way users on this forum try to find patterns and similarities everywhere even if completely irrelevant is a pet peeve of mine.
Texans are very loyal and Houstonians even more so. Great trait to have

Old 09-01-2023, 12:55 PM

1,029 posts, read 561,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Texans are very loyal and Houstonians even more so. Great trait to have
I don’t think it’s about Texans or Houstonians since I am neither. (But I have a lot of respect and affection for Houston. It’s been a great city for me to heal from grieving for my Father who I lost suddenly in 2020. The laid back life and peaceful environment here were very therapeutic for me and I’ll forever be grateful for my experiences here. Houston will always be a lovely city in my book.)

It’s more about having a bit respect of city for which you are neither the local nor a current resident. It’s also about online posting etiquette, aka reading the room, picking up the social cue, knowing when to stop.

Although in this case I have a feeling Mr. Truth Wins enjoyed more ruffling people’s feather and getting a reactionary responses from others than simply typical online incel Aspie-like behaviors.

Old 09-01-2023, 12:57 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:

People who comment on places they don't know anything about is my pet peeve. Houston isn't a place you know much about which is fine, but laboring over stereotypes to make arguments is annoying.

The irony out of this is that you and I both AGREE that Houston and LA are very different and not comparable.

Old 09-01-2023, 05:46 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:

I don't have a dog in this fight at all, but it's clear that you have just as emotional a stake in this subject as well which you just admitted ("pet peeve").

Old 09-01-2023, 06:02 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
Quote:
I But your colleague there claimed 30 minutes
I said 30 Mins from 610
Google is saying 37 mins from 610 so I'm off by 7 mins, which I can see, but you said it was 2 hours from the METRO.
It is actually IN the metro and just half an hour from the inner city. So it is not even a far flung suburb. 100 years ago there was a rail from Downtown Houston to Galveston, so even back then they were closely tied.

Old 09-01-2023, 07:58 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,240,529 times
Native Houstonian here. The Houston vs. LA comparison... really I'd say Houston is more comparable to Orange County. In many parts (like Garden Grove) they greatly resemble each other. Generally the people there are from a much different cut of cloth, though. I agree Houston is more laid back (too slow sometimes), and there are a LOT more people in LA who think their shi don't stink. And I've witnessed that in the vast majority of transplants here too.

Old 09-01-2023, 10:01 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Native Houstonian here. The Houston vs. LA comparison... really I'd say Houston is more comparable to Orange County. In many parts (like Garden Grove) they greatly resemble each other. Generally the people there are from a much different cut of cloth, though. I agree Houston is more laid back (too slow sometimes), and there are a LOT more people in LA who think their shi don't stink. And I've witnessed that in the vast majority of transplants here too.
Yeah when I was in OC, that really gave me more of a Houston vibe than anywhere in LA or it's suburbs north of OC. This was of course the parts more inland. The closer you get to the coastal communities and the more it looked nothing like Houston. As far as the people yeah I guess that would be more so like Long Beach. As far as LA proper definitely not.

I actually think Phoenix feels closer to LA than Houston and even Phoenix feels more like IE than LA city proper. But Phoenix being in the West really feels like it could be in California. Vegas too for that matter. Houston might sprawl similar to Westcoast cities but a lot of it's neighborhoods both in the loop and outside of it not to mention several main arterial roads give it a completely different vibe than LA.

Also, who brought up Galveston? Yes, Galveston is pretty much like Houston's playground I guess. It's apart of the metro and whenever I go into Galveston it's always a ton of Houstonians there. It's close enough for the average Houstonian to go every once and awhile or even make a 1 day weekend trip out of it but it's relationship to Houston is not the same as LA and it's coastal cities/beach towns.

For one Santa Monica and Venice Beach feel way more connected to LA's core than Galveston does to Houston's core. For one Santa Monica and Venice Beach are in closer proximity to LA's core and two there's a lot in between downtown LA and Santa Monica than it is in downtown Houston and Galveston. Once you leave 610 headed to Galveston what do you go through? South Houston, Webster, League City? It's one of the less developed and populated parts of Greater Houston. LA on the other hand has West LA right before you get to Santa Monica or Venice Beach.

And even if Galveston was a shorter distance to Houston's core it's so different than any coastal city in LA metro that you still wouldn't be able to compare. Galveston is like other coastal cities in the gulf. Very historic city. Yeah, who came up with this comparison?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.