Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2023, 10:05 AM

1,039 posts, read 565,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
A giveaway landmark would have been the Astrodome, but was the city germane to the plot of the movie?

“Mo” on Netflix is based in Houston with a ton of local footage. It was renewed for it’s 2nd and final season.
Mo is great! I read the season 2 is coming back?

Was Astrodome featured in Reality Bites? I don’t remember seeing it. I remember the fountain near the Rice Village.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2023, 10:06 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
People think I'm trolling, but Houston I think legitimately just isn't deemed especially notable. Even when people talk about Texas, it's far more likely people will bring up Dallas or even Austin now (which has been the "it" city for a while).
People don't think you are trolling, people know you are trolling.

What ever insecurities about LA you may be harboring is causing you to lash out and post incendiary remarks about the 5th largest metro in the country and acting like it is Nowhere Junction, USA just to get a rise out of people. Definitely trolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post

Was Astrodome featured in Reality Bites? I don’t remember seeing it. I remember the fountain near the Rice Village.
I liked Mo. Definitely would lie to see what he gets up to in season 2.

A movie depicting the grittier side of Houston is Jason's Lyric.

Last edited by atadytic19; 08-30-2023 at 10:14 AM..

Old 08-30-2023, 10:09 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,023,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post

No, I don’t remember the Astrodome in Reality Bites. I vaguely remember a railroad crossing bridge over Buffalo Bayou with a view of Downtown Houston.

The main attractions were Winona Ryder and Ethan Hawke.

Old 08-30-2023, 10:13 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,023,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
People don't think you are trolling, people know you are trolling.

What ever insecurities about LA you may be harboring is causing you to lash out and post incendiary remarks about the 5th largest metro in the country and acting like it is Nowhere Junction, USA just to get a rise out of people. Definitely trolling
I don’t know if he’s trolling or not but he’s definitely revealing himself as being “provincial” and not very well-read if he doesn’t know what Houston is famous for. It’s a bad look, and to what end?

Old 08-30-2023, 10:19 AM

1,039 posts, read 565,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjac View Post

the main attractions were winona ryder and ethan hawke. :d
YES! (And I don’t usually like Ethan Hawke.)

“You and me and five bucks.”

That movie is SO quotable.

Old 08-30-2023, 11:17 AM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
To say Houston is known for humidity and flooding would be like saying LA is known for wildfire and homelessness (world famous skid row). LA is a destination city, not Houston which makes LA known for things beyond that. Things such as oil, nasa, and so forth are a positive. However, the tier of Miami, LA and NYC and even others such as SFBA and Chicago will always have a more "powerful" image than the rest.

As for how that relates to this post, there is NO city exactly like LA outside of Southern California. Whether its for the better or worse, yes Houston and LA share similarities. They also share many dissimilarities.

My answer was and still is some sort of mix of Houston, Phoenix and Miami. Neither of these 3 cities are exaactly like LA. Only certain things of these morph into what LA is.

Old 08-31-2023, 10:06 AM

6,791 posts, read 4,233,580 times
L.A. is known for a ton of things because it's a world city. Houston is a regional city with limited appeal beyond other than the fact it's reasonably warm in winter, there's jobs in some industries and cost of living is reasonable for such a big metro (and of course it is reasonable precisely because it has such limited appeal).

Old 08-31-2023, 10:10 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
L.A. is known for a ton of things because it's a world city. Houston is a regional city with limited appeal beyond other than the fact it's reasonably warm in winter, there's jobs in some industries and cost of living is reasonable for such a big metro (and of course it is reasonable precisely because it has such limited appeal).
Houston also has beach access.

Old 08-31-2023, 10:19 AM

6,791 posts, read 4,233,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Houston also has beach access.

For real beach access you'd need to go to Galveston island which is what a 1-2 hour drive from the Houston metro depending on where you are in that. I mean that's a bit like saying Philly has beach access because you can drive to Atlantic City. It's not technically false, but it could also mislead you regarding the character of the city.

Old 08-31-2023, 11:09 AM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Disclaimer: no one will argue Houston is more global than LA so bear that in mind when I type the below.

But you are going to have to define what a Global City is vs. a Regional one. Most of your posts seem to be highlighting name recognition and tourism value. I agree that Houston isn't exactly a trailblazer on those fronts. But Houston is the global center of an industry that defines many aspects of peoples lives around the world and from a population perspective its the 3rd largest gateway for immigrants after NYC and Miami per the ACS numbers.

So there definitely needs to be further clarification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.