Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 03:29 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,062,715 times

Advertisements

Answer is Phoenix

Sprawling ...just like LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2023, 03:51 PM

1,039 posts, read 567,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
There's a reason in SoCal many people will quip something like 'there's no life east of <insert major local N-S corridor located to the east>'. There's prestige associated with being in the westernmost possible location. It's widely understood that people going to the IE do so because they're priced out of L.A. I know because I have relatives who have done so and try to convince me to move there myself. I'd rather live in Houston.
I rather live in the prime locations of Houston than any dingy parts of L.A for sure. But some people in Westside L.A really should take their attitude in check if they think only Westside L.A is the crème de la crème. We were in Manhattan Beach, I was just thinking, by looking at the block of Bristol Farms and the environ, “oh even the strip malls are less cookie cutter here.” (Meaning at least the architecture was somewhat less unified.) then next few block away we unwisely stumbled upon a Vons that looks like if hasn’t been renovated since 1988. It wasn’t even east of the 405, but near the aerospace and defense company Northrop Grumman. (That whole area was yucky.)

Even Santa Monica has some sketchy parts one should avoid.

There are many interesting and beautiful neighborhoods and suburbs in L.A but my favorite is Westside Pasadena near San Marino (near Huntington Library and Langham Hotel.). I actually would prefer living in the canyons and hills than the beach area because the latter usually have very small, next to each other houses with basically no parking. And you’ll have to deal with many tourists. Unless you’re Barbara Streisand rich to live in hidden compound so extremely tucked in Malibu then yes. But we are not Miss Streisand rich.

Despite the general image of Houston on c-d, there are quite a few beautiful neighborhoods here. Very manicured, lush (although with the heat this summer and drought, trees are getting brownish.) and residentially pleasant.

As much as I can’t stand the Kardashians, they kind of made living in the Valley (San Fernando Valley) popular because now every random celebrity moves to Encino, Calabasas and Hidden Hill.

I rather live on a hill in Pasadena near Rosebowl (Meryl Streep has a house here.) than a nice mansion on the flatland in West Hollywood.

Old 08-31-2023, 04:08 PM

Quote:
There's a dark side to everything, but the entertainment industry has a lot more cachet than the majority of industries. There's a reason they can pay people peanuts to work there - people want to do it because it either fascinates them or they just want to be able to say they're in that field. Can't say that about most jobs.

And you don't have to tell me about D.C., the government has a bad reputation in many quarters. Washington is said with contempt by many as well. It's a mixed bag overall reputation-wise, but the 'connected' coastal elite tends to view it more positively.
Politics and show business are very similar: they both attract sociopaths. Both require a lot of charm, uninvolved emotions, iron dedications and the ability to detach yourself in selling the “make believe” fantasy.

Both have people who are on top but extremely nice because they rely on their talent to climb to the top (and know that a little niceness goes a long way or people who are on top because they are sociopath with detached emotions and cut throat dedication. Both have endless supply of bottom feeders who smooch their way in their respective towns (D.C and L.A) and prey on the low hanging fruits.

I lived more than half of my life in NYC and LA and my family is your quintessential “coastal elite” but I guess I’m dark and cynical. I see people through easily and quickly, which is probably why I carry an appreciation of cities like Cleveland and Houston, they are underdogs and often the target of unnecessary mockery when I see them (and their people) as earthy, grounded and unassuming people as opposed to fluffy, sweet-talked, all over the place, big word salad and disingenuous flair of certain professions and certain cities.

Old 08-31-2023, 05:07 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:
For real beach access you'd need to go to Galveston island which is what a 1-2 hour drive from the Houston metro depending on where you are in that. I mean that's a bit like saying Philly has beach access because you can drive to Atlantic City. It's not technically false, but it could also mislead you regarding the character of the city.
You are clearly trolling and know nothing of Houston.

Galveston is IN the Houston metro and 30 mins from the 610 core area of the city. It is not 1-2 hours from the metro it is very much a part of it and used to be a primary city in the metro.

Old 08-31-2023, 06:58 PM

6,792 posts, read 4,236,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

Galveston is IN the Houston metro and 30 mins from the 610 core area of the city. It is not 1-2 hours from the metro it is very much a part of it and used to be a primary city in the metro.
I did a Google Maps direction thing from Katy earlier today and it showed ca 1h30m to Galveston Island. About the same for places like Spring and the Woodlands, a few mins less from Sugar Land, about 10 more from Conroe, a bit over an hour from downtown Houston.

Even now at nearly 8 o clock in the evening for 30 mins I'd have to be in Dickinson, i.e. a long way south from central Houston, based on Google Maps.

And based on my experiences driving in various metro areas, if anything it's pretty hard to be as fast as Google Maps suggests unless you drive very fast (i.e. speed ruthlessly), so I'm reasonably confident that their numbers are pretty spot on.

Old 08-31-2023, 07:22 PM

2,857 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

30 minutes from even Hobby Airport which is south of 610 is not realistic and you know it.

Old 08-31-2023, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I did a Google Maps direction thing from Katy earlier today and it showed ca 1h30m to Galveston Island. About the same for places like Spring and the Woodlands, a few mins less from Sugar Land, about 10 more from Conroe, a bit over an hour from downtown Houston.

Even now at nearly 8 o clock in the evening for 30 mins I'd have to be in Dickinson, i.e. a long way south from central Houston, based on Google Maps.

And based on my experiences driving in various metro areas, if anything it's pretty hard to be as fast as Google Maps suggests unless you drive very fast (i.e. speed ruthlessly), so I'm reasonably confident that their numbers are pretty spot on.
I’m guessing you’re German. So involved and invested.

Old 08-31-2023, 08:04 PM

8,335 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:

Dude, just stop. This clearly isn't something you've done.

It takes 55 minutes from Downtown Houston. I do it once a month or so.

Old 08-31-2023, 10:23 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
In L.A. county manufacturing has been on a steady downward trend for several decades. There still is a presence but it's not what it used to be. I think the big wealth engines of the county have to be entertainment/media/data on the one hand, and the harbor and associated services on the other hand. I think most people don't realize just how big a part L.A./Long Beach harbors play in America's role in the international economy (which admittedly is a similarity to Houston).
So… Port + Manufacturing. Case in point, LA has a large industrial economy. That doesn’t make them alike, considering NYC/NJ do too but neither are anything like NYC. LA is definitely known for hiding it more. George Lopez was a rare instance of Hollywood that showing that side of LA. But if we’re going to be honest, every large Metro has a line drawn where “all the industry goes on that side”.

Old 08-31-2023, 10:50 PM

6,792 posts, read 4,236,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Dude, just stop. This clearly isn't something you've done.

It takes 55 minutes from Downtown Houston. I do it once a month or so.

I obviously haven't done it, but I know Google Maps is pretty accurate. 55 minutes I buy depending on time you leave. But your colleague there claimed 30 minutes and will probably tell us next that he does it 5 times a week, and as an outsider I just wouldn't understand.

The difference between myself and you (and others here) is that I don't actually care one bit about Houston. I just know that it's not like L.A. which was my original point. And I think that's actually rather obvious. It's rather apparent that you in particular have some incentives to play up the similarities though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.