Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 12:56 PM

8,333 posts, read 5,492,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I specifically avoided the term "global city" because it's become a buzzword that tons of consultancies, think tanks, research institutes, media sources are using to publish city rankings of various types. Some of those will consider Houston a 3rd tier global city, some of them won't. If they do, it's on the back of the economic performance.

But my focus here is much more on cultural and social relevance as well as desirability as I believe Houston falls into the classic category of an 'aspirational' boom town, which craves social and cultural prestige in addition to its economic power. It's like a current day Chicago, which boomed in the late 19th century, yet was still considered a cow town by many and jealously eyed New York's glamor and fame (and perhaps still does as well).

Like Chicago was then, Houston is hamstrung by the fact that its money comes from a 'dirty' source. Oil and gas aren't sexy, and there's a disconnect between the interests and values of the current day global elites and those industries. It's a 'hard hat' industry and one associated with environmental destruction at that.
Man, there is a lot of pontification going on here. You are telling us who and what we are while not seeming to know much of anything about the city.

1) Houston isn't the oil and gas capital of the world. Its the energy capital of the world. That includes oil, gas, solar, wind, etc. If it involves powering anything, its global center is here. Also, your oil and gas giants of today are your energy industries of tomorrow. Houston is also very much a medical city. Our economic output from energy declined during 2021-2022 but our total economic output still went up. That is largely because of medicine.

2) Talking about Houston's cultural exports and draw, they mainly appeal to the African American community.

3) This is a thread about which city is most like LA which I said Houston is NOT. I compared it to a giant Long Beach which you are free to disagree with, but your constant degrading and uneducated remarks make it hard to move past it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2023, 01:14 PM

1,039 posts, read 567,320 times
Speaking of oil and gas not being “sexy”, I love L.A but Hollywood money isn’t exactly very sexy either (said a person who worked in film, music and fashion. I would never let my daughter to get in show business, despite she was “scouted” very often by just walking in the Grove in Beverly Hills.) and let’s drag Miami into this-since Miami is generally considered a “destination city” with “sexy” “glamorous” image.-have heard of “cocaine money”? And oversea shell companies? Drug trafficking business? Well that’s Miami.

Even D.C is not exactly innocent and rainbow and unicorn either.

Old 08-31-2023, 01:22 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,024,092 times
Quote:

But my focus here is much more on cultural and social relevance as well as desirability as I believe Houston falls into the classic category of an 'aspirational' boom town, which craves social and cultural prestige in addition to its economic power.
Another proof point that you know nothing about Houston. Houston doesn’t “crave” anything. One of the knocks against the city is its lack of self-promotion.

Old 08-31-2023, 01:37 PM

6,791 posts, read 4,236,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
Speaking of oil and gas not being “sexy”, I love L.A but Hollywood money isn’t exactly very sexy either (said a person who worked in film, music and fashion. I would never let my daughter to get in show business, despite she was “scouted” very often by just walking in the Grove in Beverly Hills.) and let’s drag Miami into this-since Miami is generally considered a “destination city” with “sexy” “glamorous” image.-have heard of “cocaine money”? And oversea shell companies? Drug trafficking business? Well that’s Miami.

Even D.C is not exactly innocent and rainbow and unicorn either.

There's a dark side to everything, but the entertainment industry has a lot more cachet than the majority of industries. There's a reason they can pay people peanuts to work there - people want to do it because it either fascinates them or they just want to be able to say they're in that field. Can't say that about most jobs.

And you don't have to tell me about D.C., the government has a bad reputation in many quarters. Washington is said with contempt by many as well. It's a mixed bag overall reputation-wise, but the 'connected' coastal elite tends to view it more positively.

Old 08-31-2023, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
Say that to the wealthy gays and architecture buffs in Palm Springs.

Most people i know who live in Inland Empire consider themselves “living in L.A”. My husband’s best friend grew up in Claremont, the very far edge of L.A county, he considered himself “from L.A.”. Hack I know people who grew up in Long Island or NJ but call themselves “from NY”. So it’s all semantics.

(Though I personally agree with you and will never live in Inland Empire but it’s fun to debate. )

There's a reason in SoCal many people will quip something like 'there's no life east of <insert major local N-S corridor located to the east>'. There's prestige associated with being in the westernmost possible location. It's widely understood that people going to the IE do so because they're priced out of L.A. I know because I have relatives who have done so and try to convince me to move there myself. I'd rather live in Houston.

Old 08-31-2023, 02:14 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Quote:
There's a reason in SoCal many people will quip something like 'there's no life east of <insert major local N-S corridor located to the east>'. There's prestige associated with being in the westernmost possible location. It's widely understood that people going to the IE do so because they're priced out of L.A. I know because I have relatives who have done so and try to convince me to move there myself. I'd rather live in Houston.
Heck, my Santa Monica cousins made a big deal last week about going East of the 405 on a Friday night to take me to Republique….lol.

Old 08-31-2023, 03:04 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Houston is cool but it’s your typical southern Texas city.

Old 08-31-2023, 03:05 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Hollywood doesn’t really dominate LAs economy anyway. Manufacturing easily plays a larger role in LA’s economy. Especially in an employment basis. It’s been that way since WW2. I suppose that’s a similarity to add to Houston. Hollywood dominates (or atleast tries to dominate) LA on its image

Old 08-31-2023, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Another proof point that you know nothing about Houston. Houston doesn’t “crave” anything. One of the knocks against the city is its lack of self-promotion.

"The lady doth protest too much".

Old 08-31-2023, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Hollywood doesn’t really dominate LAs economy anyway. Manufacturing easily plays a larger role in LA’s economy. Especially in an employment basis. It’s been that way since WW2. I suppose that’s a similarity to add to Houston. Hollywood dominates (or atleast tries to dominate) LA on its image

In L.A. county manufacturing has been on a steady downward trend for several decades. There still is a presence but it's not what it used to be. I think the big wealth engines of the county have to be entertainment/media/data on the one hand, and the harbor and associated services on the other hand. I think most people don't realize just how big a part L.A./Long Beach harbors play in America's role in the international economy (which admittedly is a similarity to Houston).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.