Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2023, 08:04 PM

1,039 posts, read 567,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiigner View Post

Nowhere in Manhattan looks even remotely suburban
True, but while Manhattan doesn’t look suburban it replaces many formerly interesting representatives of the local pride and joy (such as CBGB) with banks after banks (Chase Manhattan), Walgreens + CVS (there’s nothing strictly New Yorker about these two since they are nation-wide chains.), many Duane Reade, bodegas became Subway store, really interesting diners became GNC vitamins shop, souls food joint became expensive vegan restaurant.

Harlem is gentrified, so is East Village. Young people used to yearn for moving to NYC to “make it”, in particular the creative type, (see Alan Parker’s cult movie Fame.) because “if you can make it in NY, you can make it anywhere”. Now you go to NYC, it’s not THAT much different from any other affluent city USA. It may not be “remotely suburban”, but it “devoid idiosyncrasy, the complexity, and the roiling excitement that makes a city great”. (Kevin Baker, Harper’s Magazine, July 2018 | The Death of a Once Great City )

Just to share a bit thought of a former Manhattanite who was there when 9/11 happened; who was so in love with “the city”; who got married and whose child was born in Manhattan. I knew “the city” inside and out. Now I still get excited by Los Angeles, but I can’t say the same about NYC, at least Manhattan. It may not be suburban in looks, but those featureless, faceless, tall, square, boxy “luxury condos” are the khaki pants of the architecture.

I digress, since this thread is about Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2023, 09:20 PM

976 posts, read 1,056,898 times
There is a popular saying that Houston is the love child of Los Angeles and New Orleans.

A large sprawling rich big time city like LA with a Gulf coast feel/ culture/ weather like NO

Old 08-24-2023, 09:29 PM

511 posts, read 399,874 times
Houston.

Old 08-25-2023, 07:51 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
There is a popular saying that Houston is the love child of Los Angeles and New Orleans.

A large sprawling rich big time city like LA with a Gulf coast feel/ culture/ weather like NO
Popular?

Old 08-25-2023, 08:13 AM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
True, but while Manhattan doesn’t look suburban it replaces many formerly interesting representatives of the local pride and joy (such as CBGB) with banks after banks (Chase Manhattan), Walgreens + CVS (there’s nothing strictly New Yorker about these two since they are nation-wide chains.), many Duane Reade, bodegas became Subway store, really interesting diners became GNC vitamins shop, souls food joint became expensive vegan restaurant.

Harlem is gentrified, so is East Village. Young people used to yearn for moving to NYC to “make it”, in particular the creative type, (see Alan Parker’s cult movie Fame.) because “if you can make it in NY, you can make it anywhere”. Now you go to NYC, it’s not THAT much different from any other affluent city USA. It may not be “remotely suburban”, but it “devoid idiosyncrasy, the complexity, and the roiling excitement that makes a city great”. (Kevin Baker, Harper’s Magazine, July 2018 | The Death of a Once Great City )

Just to share a bit thought of a former Manhattanite who was there when 9/11 happened; who was so in love with “the city”; who got married and whose child was born in Manhattan. I knew “the city” inside and out. Now I still get excited by Los Angeles, but I can’t say the same about NYC, at least Manhattan. It may not be suburban in looks, but those featureless, faceless, tall, square, boxy “luxury condos” are the khaki pants of the architecture.

I digress, since this thread is about Los Angeles.
Agreed completely. Poster you quoted is a big NYC do no wrong booster.

Glad to see you see the change of Manhattan too.

But to the point, this may start happening in ungentrified LA too.

Old 08-25-2023, 10:04 AM

571 posts, read 276,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Agreed completely. Poster you quoted is a big NYC do no wrong booster.

Glad to see you see the change of Manhattan too.

But to the point, this may start happening in ungentrified LA too.
I wouldn’t say I’m a booster

Just call it as I see it

It’s the nyc way

Old 08-26-2023, 01:18 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
I think Las Vegas, Phoenix and San Diego are the most similar to Los Angeles geographically and culturally. All are in the Southwest and have a large Spanish and Mexican heritage and the architectural styles and natural landscapes are very similar especially in the residential areas. Remember that beyond the coastal areas, a lot of the Greater LA area, including the Inland Empire, is desert.

Culturally, Miami has a somewhat similar reputation that is known simultenaeoulsy for celebrities, wealth, and glamor alongside urban blight, drugs, and illegal immigration.

Old 08-27-2023, 10:27 AM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiigner View Post
I wouldn’t say I’m a booster

Just call it as I see it

It’s the nyc way
You have a very “Manhattan below 14th Street and Central Park” pov

its like when you go to school and you bring a sandwich for lunch. And everyone else brings a sandwich, but you say your sandwich is the best. Every post. On every thread. Lol.

Old 08-27-2023, 01:04 PM

159 posts, read 125,383 times
San Diego is similar to LA it apart of the same sprawl complex that extends from Ventura to San Diego in Southern California. It's by the ocean except its mostly its military based with Camp Pendleton and all that. It has the similar Mediterranean climate. It doesn't have as many Latinos as LA does but it has a sizable amount. San Diego is diverse like LA.

Old 08-27-2023, 01:06 PM

159 posts, read 125,383 times
San Diego is similar to LA.. It is apart of the same sprawl complex that extends from Ventura to San Diego in Southern California. It's by the ocean like LA is except its mostly its military based with Camp Pendleton and all that. It has the similar Mediterranean climate. It doesn't have as many Latinos as LA does but it has a sizable amount. San Diego is diverse like LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.