Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2023, 12:20 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,292,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Score View Post
Take Houston's diversity, Atlanta's/Las Vega's entertainment industry, Dallas/Atlanta's flashiness and image centric attitude, Dallas'/Atlanta's/Houston's car-centric sprawl, San Diego's geography gets you LA.

I'll say Atlanta based on film industry, attitude and sprawl.
The entire film and television industry is practically consolidated within Los Angeles county.

So Atlanta from the handful of shows made there, and then super vague "attitude" and "sprawl?"

The Miami analogies are even worse.

Both have sizeable hispanic populations.

Ok, Spanish is the second most commonly spoken language in the world, spoken by hundreds of millions of people, and this isn't even getting into the dissimilarities between Cuban and Mexican influence.

What about other influences, like Asian? What's that like in Miami compared to Los Angeles?

Hey they're both warm.

Tropical vs. Mediterranean climate....does anyone in the world think these are similar?

Also don't forget Los Angeles had already been a global city for at least 60 years by the time Miami started to break free from its retiree destination branding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2023, 05:51 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
The entire film and television industry is practically consolidated within Los Angeles county.

So Atlanta from the handful of shows made there, and then super vague "attitude" and "sprawl?"

Ok, Spanish is the second most commonly spoken language in the world, spoken by hundreds of millions of people, and this isn't even getting into the dissimilarities between Cuban and Mexican influence.

What about other influences, like Asian? What's that like in Miami compared to Los Angeles?

Hey they're both warm.

Tropical vs. Mediterranean climate....does anyone in the world think these are similar?

Also don't forget Los Angeles had already been a global city for at least 60 years by the time Miami started to break free from its retiree destination branding.
Atlanta certainly has more than a few shows but so did Austin, Louisiana, Vancouver,etc at some point in time. But yes, I don’t think Hollywood when I think of Atlanta

Old 08-22-2023, 05:54 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Cities that remind me of LA in some regard

Orlando
Phoenix
Houston
Atlanta
Denver

Old 08-22-2023, 09:33 AM

1,374 posts, read 925,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Atlanta certainly has more than a few shows but so did Austin, Louisiana, Vancouver,etc at some point in time. But yes, I don’t think Hollywood when I think of Atlanta
Currently Atlanta has 3 million square feet of soundstage, right above NYC (2.8 million sf) and 2nd behind LA (6.2 million sf) but Atlanta is currently building another 2-3 million sf of soundstage over the next few years.

Old 08-22-2023, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
9. Warmish weather.
10. Diverse
11. Liberal strong holds
12. Sprawl
13. Driven by entertainment industry.

That's my 5. Can you help me get this to 20?
14. smart phones have risen in popularity in both since 2010
15. housing prices in both took a hit around 2008
16. both have international airports
17. both have subways
18. both have city hall buildings
19. both just have that vibe, can't describe it, but if you're cool you'd know

In all seriousness though, as fun as it is to lampoon the terrible analogies this thread is comprised of, a pretty big one was missed:

20. They both hosted the summer Olympics.

So naturally, the one that would make a pretty good link wasn't even brought up, while things like "sprawl" and "attitude" of course were.

Old 08-22-2023, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
I believe it was fellow New Jersey born and Manhattan bred Dorothy Parker, who put it so succinctly after living in California for some time before moving back to the city, when she coined the phrase:

"Los Angeles: Seventy-two suburbs in search of a city".

70 years later and the beat goes on.
I wonder if that person had been anywhere other than NY/NJ when she coined that phrase....

Old 08-22-2023, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Currently Atlanta has 3 million square feet of soundstage, right above NYC (2.8 million sf) and 2nd behind LA (6.2 million sf) but Atlanta is currently building another 2-3 million sf of soundstage over the next few years.
You're certainly making an investment in the infrastructure, but does anyone really think you'll surpass LA or even think you're a cohort of LA?

Like Texas, you're grabbing commerce from California because you're more affordable, your government is open to giving tax breaks.

Old 08-22-2023, 12:47 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,023,224 times
Quote:

20. They both hosted the summer Olympics.

So naturally, the one that would make a pretty good link wasn't even brought up, while things like "sprawl" and "attitude" of course were.
Atlanta hosting the Olympics was an aberration.

Old 08-22-2023, 01:37 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Quote:

Hey they're both warm.

Almost half of the entertainment business is based here in Atlanta or films here on the regular. It is not 2006 anymore. People have entire careers in the business without having to step foot in LA or NYC. You have no clue what you're talking about.

Old 08-22-2023, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Atlanta hosting the Olympics was an aberration.
Was the only Olympics where the head of the committee refused to say that it was the greatest Olympics ever if I recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Almost half of the entertainment business is based here in Atlanta or films here on the regular. It is not 2006 anymore. People have entire careers in the business without having to step foot in LA or NYC. You have no clue what you're talking about.
I wouldn't doubt if that's true, but you understand why right? Atlanta has an anytown USA look and Georgia offers a lot of tax breaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.