Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 05:10 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Neither one of these makes sense because a 7 million metro Baton Rouge would be much more diverse than the current city. And Texas isn't accepting for immigrants by many people or how they may perceive Texas politics. New Orleans was and still is very accepting of immigrants culturally speaking.
Honestly that’s speaking of opinion than reality.

Houston gets more immigrants than all places other than NYC and Miami. New Orleans gets very few immigrants. That alone is enough to disprove that theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2022, 05:34 PM

9,855 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Honestly that’s speaking of opinion than reality.

Houston gets more immigrants than all places other than NYC and Miami. New Orleans gets very few immigrants. That alone is enough to disprove that theory.
This. And additionally, Louisiana doesn’t have a historic Mexican population. That alone sets them very far apart culturally. The Louisiana culture has some relations to Houston but they aren’t twins. And the diversity gap is more than just a thing for the large metro area. Everything from Port Arthur, TX which is near the Louisiana border all throughout Texas and out west until you get to California, there’s a continuation of historic Mexican communities. That ends before entering the Louisiana border it basically suddenly halts beyond Port Arthur. And for the sakes of the topic, that stretch of Mexican immigrants included LA.

I don’t really agree that Houston has nothing in common with anything north of I 10. River Oaks exists after all. The museum district and TMC are LA than LB but I do agree that the more obvious similarities occur south of that portion.

Old 04-04-2022, 05:42 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
I wouldn’t really go to that extreme either. A huge part of Houston’s culture is how international and ethnically diverse it is. There isn’t any city in Louisiana that has that.

I could certainly see Houston being a combo of LA and Baton Rouge or Lafayette, but not simply a mega sized Baton Rouge or Lafayette.
I remember someone saying that a few years ago about Houston and Baton Rouge. I took issue with that comp as well. They do share some similarities but even outside of size, there are big differences. The same is true with Houston and Los Angeles. To be fair, you can find similarities between any city but as easy as one finds a similarity, you can find differences as well.

Old 04-04-2022, 05:45 PM

72 posts, read 41,483 times
Riverside.

Old 04-04-2022, 06:12 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Hm. Tampa is almost nothing like LA.
In many ways that’s true. I’m speaking more towards how both have ineffective downtowns and multiple business centers. Climate, vibe, etc are totally different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Miami has more extensive sprawl imo
Miami is double the size so it does have more sprawl. Miami has a world class downtown, that’s quite a bit better than LA even. Tampa’s downtown is much smaller than comparable sized cities like Charlotte and Denver.

Old 04-05-2022, 10:13 AM

4 posts, read 1,776 times
LA feel probably Houston or Dallas
weather san Diego
Size DALLAS

Old 04-05-2022, 12:12 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,054,042 times
Phoenix

I call it the Los Angeles of the desert....

Endless sprawling suburbs...tons of palm trees...

Old 04-05-2022, 12:56 PM

45 posts, read 25,765 times
San Diego. Not size-wise, but culturally. Same surfing culture, same climate, same everything. Just smaller, less crowded, and less pollution.

Not seeing how Miami would be more similar to LA than San Diego. Nowhere on the East Coast is going to be more similar to LA than any city on the West Coast. Even Seattle had quite an LA feel when I visited.

Old 04-05-2022, 02:20 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDAirportAPM View Post
San Diego. Not size-wise, but culturally. Same surfing culture, same climate, same everything. Just smaller, less crowded, and less pollution.

Not seeing how Miami would be more similar to LA than San Diego. Nowhere on the East Coast is going to be more similar to LA than any city on the West Coast. Even Seattle had quite an LA feel when I visited.
The OP said “outside of SoCal”. But also, Miami has far more sprawl like LA than San Diego has.

Old 04-05-2022, 02:30 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
LA is just on another level - size, people, climate, topography, built environment.

I used to do semi-regular traveling between Houston and LA, and there is just too huge a contrast between the two cities. I lived in Houston, but when returning home it was still jolting how less crowded and dense Houston is than LA, it almost felt empty.
My exact feelings. I use to think Houston was similar enough to LA where you could make a comparison as a distant cousin of some sorts but once I actually went to LA that quickly changed.

Quote:
I dont think its very accurate IMO. It has things in common with both, but it honestly falls short in certain aspects too.

I tend to think its more of a combo of LA (particularly the area south of the 10, north of the 22 and west of the 605) Orlando, and Lafayette. I honestly dont get the NOLA influence here other than there are a lot of people from that city here.

I honestly think Houston has literally nothing in common with LA north of the 10.
Funny when I was in LA last year, the only parts of the metro I felt resembled anything like Houston was South of the 10. Also a lot of working class to lower income neighborhoods in Houston look very similar to what you find in that I-10 east corridor stretching from East of 45 in Houston all the way to Baton Rogue. Not New Orleans but there was times I was in Baton Rogue where I felt like I was back in Houston's older working class low income areas.

But honestly LA imo has it's own unique look to me. I think people dismiss the look and feel of sunbelt cities because these cities might not be as distinct from one another like the older cities on the eastcoast but outside of being car centric and sprawling LA feels nothing like Houston or Miami imo.

Miami feels more like a Caribbean city. And while all 3 have a large Hispanic population, Miami Hispanic presence felt a lot more direct than those 2. What I mean by that is, in Miami, Spanish felt a lot more like the first language in a lot of places I went to unlike LA and Houston. LA also looks more like a Western American city with it's own unique look with some southwestern Spanish influences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.