Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 12:38 PM

9,855 posts, read 6,566,773 times

Advertisements

LA is a good mix of Houston, Phoenix and Miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2022, 04:38 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
LA is a good mix of Houston, Phoenix and Miami
More like a bad mix. It's a hideous sprawling city all on it's own.

Old 04-03-2022, 05:35 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,392,009 times
San Diego is the closest of course. After that, I'd go with South Florida. Third is Bay Area or Phoenix. I don't really see it with Houston, personally. The lifestyle there is nothing like LA. I think DFW is a bit closer though I'd probably say that DFW is more like the Bay Area than LA.

Old 04-03-2022, 06:29 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 4 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 975,507 times
Houston, Miami, Phoenix, Las Vegas (in that order - closest listed first) are similar to Los Angeles in various ways.

Old 04-03-2022, 06:46 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,384,851 times
Bay area is similar. The bay divides SF but the bay area is very polycentric each suburb is just as important and major job centers. Think the water as the mountains and bridges as the 405, 101, pch, 5. Aren't many ways from one to the other other than a few routes.

SF is the stronger center but San Jose, Oakland, Berkeley are big centers and allege techie suburbs.
Housing is similar though sf city was more urban built pre automobile.

Places like Phoenix, Houston, Dallas have a similar built today even Atlanta others.

Old 04-03-2022, 07:05 PM

2,365 posts, read 1,850,107 times
If you combined Miami and Atlanta I think that would get you something remotely similar in term of size/scale/vibe/celebrity culture still different demographics,climate and politics though

Old 04-03-2022, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
More like a bad mix. It's a hideous sprawling city all on it's own.
And the rest of those cities aren’t? I understand LA adds a homeless population that is not represented in the rest but in the “hideous sprawl” aspect aspect, all 3 (even Miami) have the same thing going on. Yes metro Miami is more physically appealing than the rest in its sprawl because it’s decorated with endless real palm trees (not that California palm bs) all throughout the suburbs. But all 3 of these are sprawling wonderlands.

Old 04-03-2022, 07:24 PM

Since I didn’t detail my mix above I’ll do it here.

Houston - Port cities, cultural hubs, good Asian food, storied Mexican heritage, manufacturing hubs and aerospace facilities, highway structures

Phoenix - dry climate, storied Mexican heritage, western architecture

Miami - shopping, Glamor, beach cities, name recognition, media centers, celebrity hotspots

All 3: sprawl, car centric, sun belt

Old 04-03-2022, 08:21 PM

2,848 posts, read 2,165,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Since I didn’t detail my mix above I’ll do it here.

Houston - Port cities, cultural hubs, good Asian food, storied Mexican heritage, manufacturing hubs and aerospace facilities, highway structures

Phoenix - dry climate, storied Mexican heritage, western architecture

Miami - shopping, Glamor, beach cities, name recognition, media centers, celebrity hotspots

All 3: sprawl, car centric, sun belt
Aside from hip hop Houston really doesn't have much cultural cachet.
The size and sprawl of Houston does resemble LA. I do wish that Houston also has a nice subway system and Galveston can be more like Venice Beach.
In LA and Miami you also run into first world tourists fairly regularly. In Houston and Phoenix they would be anomalies.

Old 04-03-2022, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Aside from hip hop Houston really doesn't have much cultural cachet.
The size and sprawl of Houston does resemble LA. I do wish that Houston also has a nice subway system and Galveston can be more like Venice Beach.
In LA and Miami you also run into first world tourists fairly regularly. In Houston and Phoenix they would be anomalies.
Was not referring to a culture uniqueness aspect. Was referring to the loud diversity/ethnicity malls of communities of LA and Houston. In that aspect, they are alike. In the unique culture aspect, LA resembles Miami more

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 04-03-2022 at 08:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.