Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 09:24 AM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalens View Post
and lots of homeless people wandering freely without ridicule. The attitudes of the people are similar in other west coast cities too.

Free or ridicule from the perspective of the homeless person sure. And thats a good thing.

But Ive personally had some homeless from SF and LA. Being yelled at, Ive had things thrown at me, etc.

Im all for being tolerant but this stuff does need to have limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2022, 09:39 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
Except having lived throughout SoCal for 30 years (including LA metro and SD), there are some distinct cultural and big city urban amenities differences between the two cities—SD in many ways is the antithesis of LA (it’s not glam or image conscious, it is more laid back, LA more cosmopolitan) and when I lived there many residents went out of their way to point out “we’re not LA”. Topography and surfing might be 2 of the few things in common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDAirportAPM View Post
My exact thoughts. Geographical proximity is the biggest determiner of cultural proximity (as long as you're in the USA).

Last edited by elchevere; 04-06-2022 at 09:57 AM..

Old 04-06-2022, 09:52 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Austin and San Francisco are being mentioned?

San Francisco didn't feel like LA at all to me. I'd say the most similar one to one would have to be Las Vegas or San Diego. If not Phoenix.

Old 04-06-2022, 10:15 AM

23,527 posts, read 24,006,421 times
San Francisco is unlike LA appearance wise, but other cities in the SF Bay Area (such as San Jose) resemble LA somewhat. The demographics are quite different though.

Old 04-06-2022, 10:20 AM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

San Francisco didn't feel like LA at all to me. I'd say the most similar one to one would have to be Las Vegas or San Diego. If not Phoenix.
Austin doesnt remind me of LA even a little. It reminds me of San Jose.

Old 04-06-2022, 12:56 PM

45 posts, read 25,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Except having lived throughout SoCal for 30 years (including LA metro and SD), there are some distinct cultural and big city urban amenities differences between the two cities—SD in many ways is the antithesis of LA (it’s not glam or image conscious, it is more laid back, LA more cosmopolitan) and when I lived there many residents went out of their way to point out “we’re not LA”. Topography and surfing might be 2 of the few things in common.
But same could be said for Canada vs. America. Canadians go out of their way to say "we're not America." Yet no one's arguing that Canada is the most similar country to America.

Old 04-06-2022, 01:17 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times
I lived in San Diego in the aughts

SD has nothing, absolutely zero to do with LA.

Theres money and famous people in SD but we do not notice them

LA is cosmopolitan, bourgeois with glitz and loud paparazzi fueled fame whores. Even the Smart and Final cashiers in West Covina are lured and like the celebrity feel of LA

SD is a small business working class, libertarian lazy and quiet way over grown beach town with a lot of drunk 20 years olds dotted with famous people (esp. prosports stars) and insulated wealth who want no part of any attention whatsoever.

SD also has a thriving large very conservative vein

We have lots of diversity (Viets/Eastern Europeans/South Americans/South Africans/Arabs and obvi, Mexicans)

People live in SD to avoid LA attention seekers

SD is more like a wealthy, Mediterranean Kansas.

You could say SDs motto is "Keep LA out of SD"

If you are solely and only accounting for the "Famous People" LA vibe but *tiny*, nerdy and into power politics vs TMZ politics, see Washington DC (which also has a TMZ staffed office in town)

Old 04-06-2022, 01:18 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Austin doesnt remind me of LA even a little. It reminds me of San Jose.
Yeah Austin feels more like an extroverted San Jose than a small LA

Old 04-06-2022, 03:44 PM

45 posts, read 25,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDAirportAPM View Post
But same could be said for Canada vs. America. Canadians go out of their way to say "we're not America." Yet no one's arguing that Canada is the most similar country to America.
Edit: no one's arguing that Canada is NOT the most similar country to America.

Old 04-07-2022, 03:57 PM

22 posts, read 36,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

I've lived in SF, LA, south bay San Jose area, and Las Vegas, all for at least a year if not much longer, and also was born near San Diego and visited there multiple times, so I am probably more familiar with the combination of all of these cities than most. None of these cities are like LA. LA is its own unique beast. Las Vegas feels more like a small desert town outside of the strip even with its recent population growth. San Jose honestly doesn't even feel like a metropolis befitting its position as one of the biggest cities in the country. And San Diego also feels significantly sleepier and slow-paced compared to LA. SF is nothing like LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.