Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 08:29 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times

Advertisements

I did ride Amtrak way back in 1980 from Atlanta on up to Charlotte but then not again until we celebrated our mutual retirement in the fall of 2017 with an extension of our California trip via an Amtrak leg from LA Union Station up to the east bay Emeryville station.

We LOVED IT, what with the bird's eye view we had of much of the coast line!
The staff was super considerate & our accommodations for the day trip were pleasant & comfortable & the meals were just fine.
The only downer was that one station shy of our overnight destination in the Bay area, a car died on the tracks and we were delayed for well over an hour in downtown Oakland until it was removed from the tracks.

I'd do that route again in a heartbeat but we figure that we really should branch out and try more travel destinations and Amtrak routes.

Under the Amtrak link for that route is another link with a short vid for that particular route.

https://www.amtrak.com/coast-starlight-train

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mpzyGRamuA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2022, 08:50 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Yes:
Empire Builder St. Paul > Glacier National Park
Empire Builder St. Paul > Chicago (many times)
Lakeshore Limited Chicago > Rochester
Blue Water Chicago > Kalamazoo

Love the train. Met interesting people on every trip. The roomettes are expensive but fun.

Old 05-27-2022, 09:17 PM

2,446 posts, read 2,231,492 times
In 2017, I took the Coast Starlight from Oakland up to Portland. Amazing experience. Not nearly as fast as a car of course, but so relaxing and scenic.

Old 05-27-2022, 09:37 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,085,339 times
I remember when the Acela first came out I took it down to DC a few times. I used to take the Northeast Direct quite often back in my college years between NYC Penn or Newark Penn and DC Union Station. Used to make some stopovers in Philly, Wilmington or Baltimore to visit friends.

One time I took an overnight Amtrak from Penn Station (NYC) up to northern Vermont skiing. That was a little too long.

Old 05-27-2022, 10:28 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
In 2017, I took the Coast Starlight from Oakland up to Portland. Amazing experience. Not nearly as fast as a car of course, but so relaxing and scenic.
Agreed! I took Amtrak from Seattle to LA in a sleeper and loved it. Don't do it if you're in a hurry, but I didn't want the trip to end.

Old 05-27-2022, 11:00 PM

6,792 posts, read 4,236,377 times
A number of times between D.C. and Philly and New York, but not since the pandemic. I'd hesitate to ride it outside the NE corridor though. A lot of the distances and travel times are just too long to not fly. I know some folks rides like Chicago - San Francisco which take like 3 days, but I couldn't. It's a 3 hour flight and then you can go about your life again rather than being stuck in the world's crappiest hotel room for 72 hours.

Old 05-27-2022, 11:06 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
Lots of times! (I don't fly)

--I just did Raleigh to Orlando 3 weeks ago. I did that trip one other time right before the pandemic.
--DC to South Florida a few times
--Auto train (Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL) at least half a dozen times
--DC to Chicago and back one time
--Los Angeles to New Orleans then New Orleans up to DC. This was my longest train trip in the US

Old 05-28-2022, 12:17 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
First and last time was from New Orleans to Auburn (ewwww) in the mid to late 90s.

Old 05-28-2022, 01:09 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,213,642 times
Yes, although it has been many years. One of my best trips ever was moving from Michigan to California, which I did by train. It was a fabulous trip over the great part of the country, including the wonderful sierra Nevada range. I wish I could do it again now. I also told it several times from Boston to NYC/DC. It wasn't as fabulous as the trains in the UK, but I wish it was more popular an accessible because it is a wonderful form of transport.

Old 05-28-2022, 03:04 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
A Select Executive rider here

Prior to Covid I took Amtrak at least twice a week between NYC, PHL, DC, BOS. Of course other regions have/utilize Amtrak, but nothing comes close to the Northeast Corridor usage.

I am glad the Acela trains have assigned seats now, less of a disaster when the track is called.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.